Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 05:54 PM

6 posts, read 11,017 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating from Southern CA. to Johnstown, PA. We are Cali natives and love it here but the cost of living is ridiculously high. Johnstown is affordable and in a beautiful setting. I feel like we could have a future there. Although, the way some people talk about Johnstown it sounds like the economy has collapsed. It makes me a little nervous. Is this area similar to Detroit? I am hoping manufacturing is helping this community out. My husband is in Aerospace manufacturing. From what I can tell it seems like a growing industry out there. Lockheed and Northrup recently moved there in '08. Does anyone have any insight on how aerospace manufacturing is faring in Johnstown?

I also read that property tax is 15%!!! This can't be right! Can it?

Last edited by travelbug82; 03-31-2013 at 06:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 09:12 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Idk about the taxes in j-town but if you move their live in richland, southmont or westmont. Those are the nice areas of johnstown. If i could move back to -j-town i surely would. Be sure to buy some GOBS, snyder potatoe chips & hires rootbeer.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:00 AM

242 posts, read 499,420 times
i am living now at my mom's home while going to college. she lives in bedford county which is about 45 minutes from j-town.
personally i think j-town is a nice old town. there is nothing to do there though. a lot of businesses have been closing down and the downtown area looks scary and run down.
the scenery is beautiful with the mountain. you will get a ton of snow. there are two road to j-town from bedford and one of the roads they close down in the winter because it's too dangerous. and yes, j-town is in the mountains so when i go to j-town i need to go over the mountain.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:02 AM

oh btw, i forgot to mention that i am moving to los angeles in 5 months to look for work.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyLady13 View Post
i am living now at my mom's home while going to college. she lives in bedford county which is about 45 minutes from j-town.
personally i think j-town is a nice old town. there is nothing to do there though. a lot of businesses have been closing down and the downtown area looks scary and run down.
the scenery is beautiful with the mountain. you will get a ton of snow. there are two road to j-town from bedford and one of the roads they close down in the winter because it's too dangerous. and yes, j-town is in the mountains so when i go to j-town i need to go over the mountain.
westmont area is really nice. it's on top of the hill by the incline. last week the restaurant that was at the incline shut down.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:44 AM

Thanks Everyone!

Quote:
oh btw, i forgot to mention that i am moving to los angeles in 5 months to look for work.
I have been unemployed since I graduated college 3 years ago. I just can't get my foot in the labor force here. That is actually why we are looking to move to Johnstown. I am giving up on working and we are going to start a family. We might be able to afford a house (or at least rent a house) on one income in Johnstown.

I wish you the best of luck!
Can I ask what industry you are in?

Old 04-01-2013, 01:45 AM

Thanks Everyone!

Quote:
Good luck! I have been unemployed since I graduated college 3 years ago. I just can't get my foot in the labor force here. That is actually why we are looking to move to Johnstown. I am giving up on working and we are going to start a family. We might be able to afford a house (or at least rent a house) on one income in Johnstown.

Can I ask what industry you are looking for work in?

Old 04-01-2013, 04:39 PM

i have always waitressed in the past when i was living in ft lauderdale/miami. came back up here to pa to go back to school i have an associate degree in computer science. i will be continuing my education once i move and that will be online froma college in johnstown, st. francis university because i am 30 credits shy of my bachelors degree.
when i move to los angeles though i will immediately seek work in the hospitality field. working for tips, i have always made excellent money. it's not for everyone though. you have to be a people person adn be compassionate and know not to ever take anything personally with your guests. i love people!
i will try to find entry level work in my field though after i am already working as a waitress since the entry level job will probably be harder and take more time to find.
i am very open minded, grateful, and realistic. if i have to work at a fast food place in the beginning, then that is what i have to do. there's no shame to my game, a job is a job.
you should be able to live on one income in johnstown since everything is lower costs there. and your husband might find a job in the surrounding areas too such as state college, clearfield and altoona. the i99 is a great road to travel and there is never traffic if he takes a job in the surrounding areas. but rt 56 going to j-town is a beautiful drive in the spring, summer, and fall but winter months it's dangerous. very curvy and steep.
why couldn't you find a job in los angeles? where did you live?
i am planning on living in the valley and looking for work in the valley.... at least for my first year there. afterwards, who knows. i just need to get there and get a job, the rest i will take care of as it happens.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:36 PM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,342 times
You want Aerospace..... look at Dallas too. Tons of it there, and its cheap to live. Of course, if you want snow.......

Old 04-14-2013, 09:41 AM

445 posts, read 414,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
You want Aerospace..... look at Dallas too. Tons of it there, and its cheap to live. Of course, if you want snow.......
Dallas has nothing on the scenery in Johnstown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania