Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,006 times

Advertisements

I was approached by a small O&G company in State College, PA for a phenomenal career opportunity. I know from experience that the grass is always greener on the other side so I am only interested in looking at all else.

I am from Houston, TX and this is a huge, huge ordeal. It is imperative to be constantly immersed in the network and with Houston being the O&G hub, the idea of leaving is downright petrifying. There are only a handful of O&G companies in PA so the networking would be slim to none and I would be sacrificing all face-to-face

That being said, I am a 40-year old single female. My real concern is the extreme habitat and lifestyle change. I went to SC and met with a realtor for a tour of the surrounding communities. It is very sleepy and oh so indisputably tiny, but utterly and undeniably beautiful. I am accustomed to the never-ending hullabaloo of the big city life, and being a 40-yr old single female, am afraid of the tiny town single scene or lack thereof. I hear wonderful things being said of the town’s animation and excitement during college months, but again, I’m 40 (just shy of 41) and the college scene has been and gone.

Finally, there are the extreme climate differences. Houston has two seasons: melting and frozen. SC has a full four seasons, the scariest being winter. I am panicky about the snow. I wouldn’t know how to act and would quite possibly freeze to death. I have to practically wear a parka here in 40 degree weather. I thought about just hibernating through winter, but I unfortunately do not get that much vacation time. I’ve been told I will acclimatize, but in doing research on the web and boards and poking at friends, it is not the norm. My friends and colleagues from the north who have migrated to the south think I have lost my ever-loving-mind and I will come crawling home licked split…not very reassuring

I really need some level-headed advice here be it positive, negative, rant, and/or pros or cons I haven’t dreamt up yet.

THX!!
signed Utterly Confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 04:19 PM

30,586 posts, read 16,272,886 times
Your heart is saying stay in Texas. You come across as not just nervous about such a move but almost petrified. It doesn't sound like the lifestyle you like or need will be available to you.

My advice: listen to your heart. You can never go wrong that way.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:23 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,691,477 times
I'm from the Pittsburgh area and I can't think of very many places in the entire country that I would rather live than State College. I would definitely not call State College sleepy or tiny. It has most of what you're going to find anywhere else without the traffic congestion and crime. It has a great park system with 54 parks, trails and state gamelands in SC Borough and the four surrounding townships.

Football is a huge event in SC, but can be a distraction on those seven weekends when over 100,000 fans pour into Happy Valley if you aren't a Penn State football fan.

The biggest downside to State College is its relative isolation. It is 2.5 hours to Pittsburgh and over 3 hours to Philadelphia. It is about 4 hours to New York City.

If you have time before you have to make a decision, get back to State College for the Arts Festival on July 10-13. See Home | Central PA Arts Festival

Old 06-11-2014, 04:31 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,841,645 times
sc is tiny compared to houston but being home of penn state id imagine its a different environment tham an old coal town. i have family from phillly living there and they love it. they miss the big city but life is full of tradeoffs. its a very attractive place and they love the outdoors there. just make sure you cam walk to a bar during a snowstorm if you do live there. pa is the original texas. ; )

Old 06-11-2014, 08:30 PM

5,307 posts, read 6,200,906 times
It wouldn't be Rex Energy? I know someone who quit his job with another O&G exploration company in northern PA and went to work as a "land man" for Rex with a much improved compensation package. I lost touch with him so I don't know how it worked out.

The things I don't like about Houston are the relentless heat, the traffic, the ostentatious lifestyles of the super rich with their mansions and Bentleys and pretensions and the endless sprawl. On the other hand the people are friendlier than you'll find in central PA and you can eat at Luby's cafeterias every day and never have to cook.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,006 times
It is Rex. Before you lost touch, did he say much about it? Is it a sweatshop being so small?

Old 06-12-2014, 11:17 AM

5,307 posts, read 6,200,906 times
It was only a passing acquaintance at the gym. I know nothing else about Rex Energy. You might want to ask in this forum for any personal experiences working for Rex.

As to your social life in State College, there are a whole lot of concerts, lectures, seminars and sporting events where you might meet someone and plenty of unattached professional types. There are also many "Meetup" groups (Meetups near State College, Pennsylvania - Meetup). And there is always the gym, a good place to meet people.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:31 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,943,938 times
No way would I personally make this move. I've been to Houston and lived in State College, and Houston totally blows it out of the water. State College is very sleepy and very college or family focused.

I don't work in the oil-gas industry.

State College would be extremely boring for someone who loves big city life. As another poster said, listen to the heart.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:37 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,943,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
plenty of unattached professional types.
Not even close to true. State College is a 40 year old dater's worst nightmare in my opinion. 20 somethings say they feel old there.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:25 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,691,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Not even close to true. State College is a 40 year old dater's worst nightmare in my opinion. 20 somethings say they feel old there.
Davros,
Don't you have hundreds of posts in the Relationships Forum describing your problems with meeting women? Do you really think you're giving an objective opinion on this subject?

It can be difficult for anyone to move to a new place. It is more difficult when you are single and leaving an established social life. This is a tough decision for the OP to make. I wish her the best of luck in whatever decision she makes, but she doesn't need misleading advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania