Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:23 AM

396 posts, read 604,052 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. Does anyone know if this is a good way to get back to 95, mssing most of the major cites?

I'll be leaving Maine Wednesday around 2 am, heading to New Bern, NC. I'd like to miss most of the larger cites if possible, as it looks like I'd hit many of them during morning, rush, lunch rush and then heading home from work rush hour traffic.

I'm thinking of #84, to 81, to 50 (outside of Winchester, VA, to 17 to 95 (about 1017 miles. It's about 120 miles longer then 95 the whole way, but I've got to think, missing the cites should make up for the extra miles just in time savings not dealing with traffic?

So what are the smaller routes, 50, 17 like for driving i.e., speed limits. traffic … ro should I go to Middletown / Strasurg and pickup 64, to 17?

Skip

Last edited by slalemand; 03-08-2009 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 02:04 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
The thread title and the content of the post aren't consistent with one another.

I think the alternate route you outlined, at least until you get to the Harrisburg area, makes a lot of sense. Once you get to Harrisburg, the US 15/I-270 route to Washington would work fine, but the traffic at rush hour on the DC Beltway (I-495) is horrendous. At least you'd be going opposite the flow of PM rush hour traffic until you got to I-495 (and actually until you got to the Tysons Corner area in northern Virginia). The route you suggested in your post, taking I-81 to Winchester and then taking US 17 to near Fredericksburg, may be your best alternative. The traffic on US 17 shouldn't be too bad; you'll be far enough from DC to avoid the heavy traffic. Getting on I-95 near Fredericksburg also will put you far enough south to avoid most of the bad traffic further north closer to DC on that interstate.

As an alternate to US 17, you could also take US 522 between Winchester and I-64 (between Charlottesville and Richmond). This route almost definitely would have less traffic, but also does not appear to be 4 lanes for much of the route either. Still, I suspect it is a very viable alternative.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:02 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Have you tried plotting this on googlemaps? Google Maps I prefer this over mapquest because it's VERY easy to change just a portion of the route by just dragging one of the pinpoints over to the road you want to be on.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:05 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,690,845 times
We used to go I-81 to Winchester, VA, then down 17 (which is a decent road) to I-95 at Fredericksburg, but I-95 is so congested even from Fredericksburg on down to Richmond any more that now we stay on I-81 to Staunton, VA and take I-64 east and then a road that connects I-64 to I-95 below Richmond. I can't remember the route number, but if you look at a map it's obvious - 288 or something like that maybe.

This way is about 50 to 60 miles longer but there's so much less traffic that if you end up creeping along at 10 MPH on I-95 you'll more than make up the time.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:50 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
We used to go I-81 to Winchester, VA, then down 17 (which is a decent road) to I-95 at Fredericksburg, but I-95 is so congested even from Fredericksburg on down to Richmond any more that now we stay on I-81 to Staunton, VA and take I-64 east and then a road that connects I-64 to I-95 below Richmond. I can't remember the route number, but if you look at a map it's obvious - 288 or something like that maybe.

This way is about 50 to 60 miles longer but there's so much less traffic that if you end up creeping along at 10 MPH on I-95 you'll more than make up the time.
Yes, it is Route 288.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 14,032 times
Default slalemand

I used my gps to go va beach,va to scranton,pa and yes do by all means take 15 south and 270 south.I used 83 from harrisburg to 81 both ways as well as 15 and 270 and avoided all toll roads.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyqk4 View Post
I used my gps to go va beach,va to scranton,pa and yes do by all means take 15 south and 270 south.I used 83 from harrisburg to 81 both ways as well as 15 and 270 and avoided all toll roads.
Thank you for that.

I know end up going to Parris Island, as our daughter and husband have since moved there.

I still take the same route but now stay on 81 then to 77, 95 and I'm there.

Great back roads, that are as fast if not faster then 95, especially if there is traffic on 95. And even if it's slower, it's not by much, and a damn site prettier a drive for sure.

I was going to head down today, but I got a few big orders so I'm staying this time, but I WILL be heading down in March. We will be expecting our 4th grand-daughter.

Not sure but then, I may take 95, as those back roads are likely to be a killer during the winter. Storm free, probably ok, but get caught in a blizzard in some of those area's, my guess is, not a pretty picture?

Anyone travel these roads in the winter and what do you think?

Skip

Skip

Old 12-04-2010, 06:06 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
I used to drive truck to Florida. On any winter trip you have to pay attention to the weather. That big hill on I 77, right after you cross into VA; can give you problems with freezing rain, terrible fog or snow. There are also some other hills in VA that can give you trouble. It isn’t always having trouble yourself - if traffic is not moving; you are not moving. The great thing about running to Florida is all the options you have available. You can say the same thing for NC, SC and GA.

Usually, with snow; you can jump on Route 17 in VA (off I 95) and run it up to I 81 (using a piece of I 66 and Route 50). Truckers are not allowed north of I 66 - it cost us ten miles extra. When you get on I 81 (at Winchester VA) you don’t have any big hills until PA if you are going north of the Blue Mountains.

I 95 to I 495 to I 270 and then to Route 15 can have major problems with traffic. If you hit I 270, at rush hour, you can crawl for forty five miles (if my memory serves me correct). Then; you can crawl on I 495. However, if you are traveling in the very early morning hours (1, 2, 3 o’clock in the morning); this might be the better route.

I know that this thread is dated. However; I hope that some will find this information useful.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I used to drive truck to Florida. On any winter trip you have to pay attention to the weather. That big hill on I 77, right after you cross into VA; can give you problems with freezing rain, terrible fog or snow. There are also some other hills in VA that can give you trouble. It isn’t always having trouble yourself - if traffic is not moving; you are not moving. The great thing about running to Florida is all the options you have available. You can say the same thing for NC, SC and GA.

Usually, with snow; you can jump on Route 17 in VA (off I 95) and run it up to I 81 (using a piece of I 66 and Route 50). Truckers are not allowed north of I 66 - it cost us ten miles extra. When you get on I 81 (at Winchester VA) you don’t have any big hills until PA if you are going north of the Blue Mountains.

I 95 to I 495 to I 270 and then to Route 15 can have major problems with traffic. If you hit I 270, at rush hour, you can crawl for forty five miles (if my memory serves me correct). Then; you can crawl on I 495. However, if you are traveling in the very early morning hours (1, 2, 3 o’clock in the morning); this might be the better route.

I know that this thread is dated. However; I hope that some will find this information useful.
Any driving help, hints, tips, dated or not, is always welcomed in my book.

Now once you get in PA, and are heading north to Maine via 81, 84, 95, any thoughts on these roads?

Skip

Old 12-05-2010, 06:20 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalemand View Post
Any driving help, hints, tips, dated or not, is always welcomed in my book.

Now once you get in PA, and are heading north to Maine via 81, 84, 95, any thoughts on these roads?

Skip
salemand,

I almost forgot, if you are in snow; It would probably be better to stay on I 66 (instead of taking Route 17 north to Route 50. Route 50 has some pretty good hills for snow and they would take care of the Interstate better. Route 17 is pretty good south of I 66.

As far as what to do after you hit PA; you have many alternatives. Check the weather and also plan your trip with the traffic. The farther east you go; the better the driving conditions (usually) - the traffic will also get heavier. No weather to contend with and you can take I 81, to I 380, to I 84, to I 90, to I 290, to I 495, to I 95 and into Maine. If there is snow in the hills by Scranton; you can bypass that by: I 81, to I 78, I 287, to I 87, to I 287, to I 684 and then on I 84 - Or you can hug the coast and just jump on I 95. If you do hug the coast and want to bypass some city traffic; you can jump on I 395 in eastern Connecticut. I 395 will turn into I 290 by I 90 in Massachusetts.

Massachusetts does a great job at snow removal. Many of the other states have problems. Pay attention to the weather forecast. Try to read into the forecast - if there is lake effect snow hitting northern PA; it could come down to I 380 or I 84. Sometimes it catches our snow removal crews by surprise.

I also like to warn everybody of driving in slush. Our weather stations do not mention slush - they usually talk about black ice. Slush will cause even heavy cars to hydroplane. I have seen more than my share of slush accidents. When the snow plows do not get out quick; dual lane roads will get down to one lane. If it is a wet, heavy snow; there are always motorist that cannot wait and have to pass. I don’t care how good your four wheel drive is; if you hit four inches of slush - you could loose control. Over confident drivers, with four wheel drive, litter our roads after the first good snows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania