Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 12:53 PM

31,338 posts, read 14,431,371 times

Advertisements

My neighbor across the street is out there diligently shoveling his snow even thought the flakes continue to come down and they are calling for 4-5 inches total.

My opinion: a person who doesn't work efficiently and wastes his time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 01:01 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,878,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
My neighbor across the street is out there diligently shoveling his snow even thought the flakes continue to come down and they are calling for 4-5 inches total.

Sometimes it makes sense to wait and other times it does not. For instance, if we are supposed to get 6-12 inches of snow or more in Erie I will snowblow twice a day so it does not get too high for the snowblower. If I am shoveling, I usually shovel every 3-4 inches or so. If you wait until the snow is done, you can have a tough time actually clearing all of the snow. This has happened to me a few times when we have gotten 12+ of very heavy, wet snow. The snowblower will usually struggle with that much and shoveling 6 inches of snow at a time is much easier than shoveling 12+ inches.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:37 PM

41 posts, read 51,930 times
When I lived in PA, I had a neighbor that would get out his snow blower at 4am or so when it started during the night. He would clear all of the sidewalks and the streets in the area since the city plows got our streets last. He'd be at it until the snow stopped in the morning because he would just go over the same path as it got covered again. So, not only did we all have to go to work in the morning (he didn't; he's retired) because the road was nicely cleared and we had no excuse (fine), but hours of sleep were lost because of him and his extremely loud snow blower going past every five minutes. It was never more than 5 inches, so he could have gotten it done after normal waking hours, and it would have been finished at the same time.
I've never had this happen anywhere except Pennsylvania. It seems like there are a lot of people in PA who like to show that they're a "hard worker" even if it means being ridiculously inefficient. I guess it makes sense at least where I was because of the cultural mentality that working brings you closer to god. It never made sense to me unless, like trackstar13 said, it's going to snow so much you won't be able to move it when it's finished.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:24 PM

13,257 posts, read 33,656,578 times
I just shoveled the end of our driveway so my husband can get up the driveway. The snowplow left a huge pile that he wouldn't have been able to go over easily. Also, it's not supposed to stop until 10 pm. A couple of my neighbors that work from home are snow blowing now so they'll have less to do later.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:16 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,261,500 times
Quote:

Ever hear the story of the hare and the rabbit? Shoveling is a strenuous exercise, trust me I'm an expert.

If you're getting shovels that are as heavy as you want to lift it's as efficient as it's going to get. You might do a little more walking....

You are using muscles you don't often use like those ones on the back of your thighs plus if you're not in shape it could be dangerous. This a very heavy and wet snow. If you're older or in a poor shape it's probably advisable to take it out in small chunks.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:03 PM

31,338 posts, read 14,431,371 times
coal man --- makes some sense if we're getting a foot of snow, but not so much if we're getting 2 or 3 inches which is what we got yesterday.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:03 PM

13,257 posts, read 33,656,578 times
Quote:
coal man --- makes some sense if we're getting a foot of snow, but not so much if we're getting 2 or 3 inches which is what we got yesterday.
Well, there you go, we got about 9 inches. Heavy stuff. Our snow blower couldn't handle it. So, yeah, maybe your neighbor was a little silly.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:35 AM

42,081 posts, read 75,599,096 times
I don't even bother shoveling 2 or 3 inches, except to clear the steps to the front porch.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:46 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,261,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I don't even bother shoveling 2 or 3 inches, except to clear the steps to the front porch.
If it's public walk you could be legally responsible and be issued fines in some places if you don't clear them.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:42 AM

18,774 posts, read 18,288,433 times
With the last snowstorm we had a very heavy, wet, snow. If you waited; it could have been hard on the back. One foot of fluffy, light, snow can be easier that just a few inches of the wet stuff.

One hint for anybody shoveling snow - buy yourself a can of cheap silicon spray. Then, when your snow shovel is dry; coat that whole shovel (front and back). You will really appreciate that when you get a heavy snow like the last one. It also works on snowblowers by preventing jams in the chute. Even on snow plows it helps the snow slide off. I especially like this on the shovels because of trying to knock sticky snow off the tool - it is hard on your back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
View detailed profiles of: