Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 02:39 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You can opt out if paying fule taxes by not driving, how do I opt out of paying for mass transit?
How do I opt out of paying for assets in money losing regions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Just so it's clear I support road taxes for roads, shifting money to mass transit is half the reason for the situation we are in now. Roads need to support themselves first and foremost.
Most of the reason is because money is spent on unsustainable growth in roads. The transportation funding system has been broken since it was federalization to build your precious highways. The best answer is to allow states and municipalities to be in the drivers seat for most roads and transit.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:51 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Most of the reason is because money is spent on unsustainable growth in roads. The transportation funding system has been broken since it was federalization to build your precious highways. The best answer is to allow states and municipalities to be in the drivers seat for most roads and transit.
PennDOT already maintains almost as many road miles as New York, New Jersey and New England combined.

By the way, if the amount of traffic in the United States has leveled off in the last 10 years despite several road and highway expansions, then the theory of "induced demand" goes straight out the window because the roads and highways that have been expanded in the last 10 years have failed to induce new demand.

Furthermore, leveling off ≠ decreasing. That means existing bottlenecks still have to be rectified, because while traffic levels aren't going up anymore, they're not going down either. Pennsylvania has several existing bottlenecks that I've highlighted ad nauseum.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:26 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
It was a half asset attempt to make up for decades of federal subsidies for highways that included a 90 percent match for highway construction and zero for transit.
If you want to make that argument then we can certainly begin too discuss the subsidies and giveaways to mass transit for the last century and a half. Both are mature forms of transportation and should be able to support themselves.

FYI the full name of the Intestate is:

Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways

Eisenhower's experiences in Germany on the Autobahn played a very big role in the development of the Interstates. While I don't expect an invasion any time soon they will play a crucial role in the defense of this country if that were to occur. They are also absolutely important for any emergency whether it's natural or man made disaster.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:56 PM

https://itineranturbanist.wordpress....y-works-again/
Gnutella I am aware of your desires for unlimited highway spending.
http://streets.mn/2014/10/02/chart-o...t-govt-levels/

Last edited by pman; 12-29-2014 at 11:05 PM..

Old 12-29-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways

Eisenhower's experiences in Germany on the Autobahn played a very big role in the development of the Interstates. While I don't expect an invasion any time soon they will play a crucial role in the defense of this country if that were to occur. They are also absolutely important for any emergency whether it's natural or man made disaster.
They were also originally intended to run between, not through, large cities..sort of how the turnpike with its initial terminus in valley forge was built before it slashed through west fairmount park. It was initially thought foolish to spend enormous sums destroying expensive city land for highways. I guess it was a way to thank railroads for their support in the war effort, rather than repay them the government would subsidize the competition. The reality of course is that much of this was about money, spending it for the benefit of large companies and well connected construction firms just like urban renewal funds.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
They were also originally intended to run between, not through, large cities..
That is certainly a major issue for more reasons than one such as splittng up neighborhoods etc. but I'm not sure how you get around it. If you travel to places like Dallas/Ft. Worth that was largely built around the Interstates it's a different story.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:38 PM

If I had store that wasn't profitable to begin with I could certainly increase the amount of people coming into my store by extending hours and slashing prices. That isn't a wise business decision.

Pointless graph without understanding where that funding is coming from. Complaining roads get the lions share of the money is a bit ridiculous when they are generating all the revenue to begin with.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:56 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
While we are talking about improvements with the transportation bill; we will all be paying more at the pumps come Thursday: Gas tax will add 10 cents per gallon starting Thursday; registrations, licenses, inspections also increase | PennLive.com. That is only the second round of increases. The PA Turnpike is also going up on the 4th and licensing and registration fees are going up on July 1st.

I just wish that 'proficiency' was the standard requirement for more tax dollars!

Old 12-30-2014, 06:21 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I just wish that 'proficiency' was the standard requirement for more tax dollars!
I agree. However, show me a government that's proficient. My only hope is that the bulk of the new tax revenue is used intelligently.

The one thing I have noticed about this tax increase is that the masses are judging it a failure too soon. Let's wait a few years and see the fruits of our increased taxes. As I and others have noted on this thread, there are multiple (much needed and long overdue) road construction projects that have been advanced several years due to the increased tax revenue. Some of these single projects (such as simple intersection improvements where turning lanes and arrows are added) have the potential to save people $1 per week in gas, let alone time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania