Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 08:01 PM

712 posts, read 1,366,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc7612 View Post
A lot of the towns around Reading are affordable and safe. Obviously, I push Exeter Township, because it is what I know. But there are other small towns like Birdsboro. Morgantown is another one that springs to mind. It is at the end of the 176, which is only about 12 miles to Reading and a pretty straight shot. Oley and Fleetwood are other smallish communites that are nice. I think that you will find that there is quite of bit reasonably priced housing in nice, safe areas. Besides the City of Reading itself, I believe all of the surrounding schools are good. I hope that helps.
What would you say you LIKE and DISLIKE about the people in the Reading, Philly area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 05:15 AM

342 posts, read 1,793,717 times
I am originally from the Midwest, and when we moved here from NE Wisconsin, driving in traffic, esp. in Philly was a shock. I really had to get used to people in a seemingly big hurry and tailgating. I have adapted over the last 3 1/2 years. Outside of their cars, people, esp. in Berks. County are very, very friendly. I had someone tell me that Berks. County is about 50 years behind in mindset. Hey, that's ok with me. I have the most wonderful neighbors ever. Not that everyone is a ray of sunshine, LOL. These aren't just neighbors who wave when you drive by, these are neighbors who help you at the drop of a hat. Now, I can only speak of where I live (Exeter). It is considered somewhat rural Suburban. You are close to everything, but surrounded by rolling hills and countryside. I live very near the Oley Township line. So, to sum up your question, there is not alot that I don't like about the people here. I will miss living here very much.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:00 AM

72 posts, read 294,132 times
I'll agree with the previous post in that the old timer Pennsylvania Dutch folk that were born and raised in the area are a little behind the times and have a bit of an attitude if you ask me. However, they're quickly being diluted by transplants from Philly, Jersey, New York, etc. Overall, I'd say it's a pretty friendly area.

I'll also add that if you're coming from metro Seattle, you might be a little disappointed with the amount of entertainment/things to do. Don't get me wrong, the Reading area has really taken off in the last 10 years, but it still doesn't compare to a big city. Philly is relatively close-by, but at the same time, it's probably not as close as you are to Seattle now. I guess this can be a good or bad thing. If you're looking to settle down and raise a family, I would definately recommend the Reading area.

Last edited by ChrisatDuke; 01-12-2008 at 08:18 AM..

Old 01-12-2008, 04:51 PM

712 posts, read 1,366,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisatDuke View Post
I'll agree with the previous post in that the old timer Pennsylvania Dutch folk that were born and raised in the area are a little behind the times and have a bit of an attitude if you ask me. However, they're quickly being diluted by transplants from Philly, Jersey, New York, etc. Overall, I'd say it's a pretty friendly area.

I'll also add that if you're coming from metro Seattle, you might be a little disappointed with the amount of entertainment/things to do. Don't get me wrong, the Reading area has really taken off in the last 10 years, but it still doesn't compare to a big city. Philly is relatively close-by, but at the same time, it's probably not as close as you are to Seattle now. I guess this can be a good or bad thing. If you're looking to settle down and raise a family, I would definately recommend the Reading area.
Very good information. I am definitely looking to settle down with my wife and 3 kids - and the Reading area seems promising. Seattle is expensive so doing anything is next to impossible - especially as a family with kids, bills etc.

How are those cheese steaks over there? Any outstanding places to get a cheese steak or beef dip? I cant wait to go to Dunkin Donuts again and Friendly's. I miss that from back home in Boston.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:14 PM

72 posts, read 294,132 times
Pat's and Tony Luke's in Philly are the best for cheesesteaks....my mouth is watering....too bad I'm in NC

Old 01-12-2008, 07:45 PM

19 posts, read 93,567 times
It's a quick trip from Reading to Philly (or Lancaster) for things to do. And there are lots of things to do with kids right here in Berks County. The county libraries are everywhere and always have free activities. There's a Gymboree, tons of parks and playgrounds, the Reading Phillies (Baseball) and the Reading Royals (Hockey), Chuckie Cheese, lots of shopping and restaurants.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:04 PM

22 posts, read 107,257 times
The best elementary schools in the Reading area would be in the Wilson and Wyomissing school districts. Living in those districts is rather affordable and very safe.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:25 AM

6 posts, read 54,861 times
Ok so far all I have read is positive things about the Reading area. Im not trying to bash Reading but there are also negatives. Yes the surounding areas of Reading are decent (Exeter, Sinking Spring, Wyomissing) however I have lived in the Reading area all my life until recently moving to Atlanta. I have always found people to be very rude and stuck up. There is also a lot of crime. Gangs are becoming more of a problem and the city is expanding into the nearby suburbs. This is just my opinion but I hated living in the area and thank god I finally made the decision to get out and believe me I couldnt do it fast enough.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:28 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,620,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhiddemen View Post
Ok so far all I have read is positive things about the Reading area. Im not trying to bash Reading but there are also negatives. Yes the surounding areas of Reading are decent (Exeter, Sinking Spring, Wyomissing) however I have lived in the Reading area all my life until recently moving to Atlanta. I have always found people to be very rude and stuck up. There is also a lot of crime. Gangs are becoming more of a problem and the city is expanding into the nearby suburbs. This is just my opinion but I hated living in the area and thank god I finally made the decision to get out and believe me I couldnt do it fast enough.
Many of Atlanta's suburbs are more dangerous than the city itself. Have fun down there.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:52 PM

6 posts, read 54,861 times
Yeah like Kennesaw with no murders for 25 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania