Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 06:17 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

My partner is originally from a small township just outside Lancaster. I'm originally from a small township midway between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre. We're both 20-somethings who lean left of center politically. We've both been living within and loving Pittsburgh for years, but after a recent cancer scare with my mother, as well as our nieces and nephews growing up without really getting to know us in their youthful years, we're starting to realize everyone is getting older without us, and we may not have that many years left to create memories with loved ones. As such I'm starting to do preliminary work in trying to find a part of Eastern PA that's roughly 60-90-minutes from each area so we can each see our families perhaps one weekend per month instead of our current 2-3 times per year.

While I know PA overall like the back of my hand, I'm stumped on this one. It looks like Pine Grove, in Southern Schuylkill County, would be nearly the exact midpoint between Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and Lancaster via I-81. I know Pine Grove is a very small community, though, and being an LGBT couple I'm not sure how well we'd find tolerance/acceptance there, if at all. In addition, I'm presuming from Pine Grove we'd have to commute to either Harrisburg/Hershey or Lebanon to find work.

My background is in both sales and small business management (with hopes to eventually open my own business) and his background is in being an administrative assistant. With our degrees and experience I'd expect us to both be able to snag jobs paying $30,000/year-$35,000/year each (joint annual household income of $60,000-$70,000), and we'd be able to live quite comfortably in a place like Pine Grove on that.

Other than Pine Grove can anyone give any other recommendations that would put us roughly midway between Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and Lancaster, as well as being relatively progressive socially and within a half-hour's commute from employment opportunities?

What about Hamburg? It looks like it would be under 30 minutes for a commute to Reading for work/shopping/dining as well as just over an hour from either of our families. It's also about 30-40 minutes from the Lehigh Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 09:35 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
I'd be more inclined to look in Bethlehem/Allentown.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:11 PM

9,348 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I'd be more inclined to look in Bethlehem/Allentown.
These. Or Harrisburg. If you only plan on taking one weekend trip per month, you should really consider Philly (or an active suburb like Conshohocken). The COL will be higher, but the QOL benefits may be worthwhile. All depends on your priorities, 'n at.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:19 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,240,920 times
You could also live near either Lancaster or Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. If you do that, Lititz (just north of Lancaster) becomes a possibility.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
You could also live near either Lancaster or Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. If you do that, Lititz (just north of Lancaster) becomes a possibility.
Lititz is a very nice town.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:24 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
Knowing your tastes SCR, take a look at Media. Walkable, urban, transit oriented and it's a short drive to Lancaster and easy access to 476 which will take you to the Wyoming valley.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:46 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Thanks for the advice, everyone! The Lehigh Valley is a possibility for us both. I do like the added advantages that not only is it proximate to my family in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (an hour-and-fifteen minutes via I-476) and his family in Lancaster (an hour-and-a-half via U.S. Route 222) but it is also within 90 minutes of both NYC and Philadelphia for fun day-trips.

Moving to Philadelphia itself would still put me at over two hours away from my family and somewhat negate the point of moving from Pittsburgh just to cut my drive to see family in half when a move to a place like Allentown would reduce the drive time to about 1/4 of the current drive time for me and 1/3 of the current drive time for him.

The suggestions for Media and Lititz are solid ones, but both are very near to Lancaster while being nowhere near NEPA. Like it or not my family is deeply-entrenched in that socially-regressive and economically-declining part of the state because that's where they all grew up, and they're not going to be relocating.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Thanks for the advice, everyone! The Lehigh Valley is a possibility for us both. I do like the added advantages that not only is it proximate to my family in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (an hour-and-fifteen minutes via I-476) and his family in Lancaster (an hour-and-a-half via U.S. Route 222) but it is also within 90 minutes of both NYC and Philadelphia for fun day-trips.

Moving to Philadelphia itself would still put me at over two hours away from my family and somewhat negate the point of moving from Pittsburgh just to cut my drive to see family in half when a move to a place like Allentown would reduce the drive time to about 1/4 of the current drive time for me and 1/3 of the current drive time for him.

The suggestions for Media and Lititz are solid ones, but both are very near to Lancaster while being nowhere near NEPA. Like it or not my family is deeply-entrenched in that socially-regressive and economically-declining part of the state because that's where they all grew up, and they're not going to be relocating.
I would understand if you were making the trek every weekend, but monthly drives between Philly and NEPA never bothered me because I look forward to seeing family and friends. Maybe I have an unusually high driving tolerance.

In any event, you know what you can and can't handle, and I'd pick the Lehigh Valley eight days out of seven over some far-flung rural area where you'll feel bored and out-of-place at best. I'd try the North Side of Bethlehem.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:13 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
My first inclination would be the Lehigh valley in allentown or bethlehem. Might be a good time to get in allentown . In the philly area lansdale is probably the best option, train service to the city and a little over 90 minutes to scranton.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:47 AM

62 posts, read 84,156 times
Lititz is a nice town but I wouldnt consider it LGBT friendly at all . Its a very old school and very conservative and religious area.
If you are the types to keep to yourself you might not mind it but I wouldn't expect to find many if any like minded ppl there.
Most of Lancaster in general is like that. Only area with any type of diversity would be in the city but it's not exactly the safest or nicest area any more.
the job situation is also very grim here right now. I don't know about sales but I can tell you admin work is scarce and the pay scale seem to be going lower and lower while the cost of living is sky rocketing.

Harrisburg or other areas outside of Lanc. would probably be a better area for work and more friendly/liberal people altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania