Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 04:19 PM

19 posts, read 32,513 times

Advertisements

Thinking of relocating to St Mary's..or Dubois...
I live in the Northernmost part of New York State.
have not really seen the area..but have driven some of the roads around Pittsburgh.

It is Feb 13. Do you have snow on the ground?
what is the winter temperature average?
can a person grow a reasonable vegetable garden there?
you know, a growing season which lasts a few months.
In Upstate New York.. and the growing season is really short.
But i wonder if St Mary's/Dubois is longer?
Do the mountains all around make it warmer or keep it colder, longer?

thanks for response.
alice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 07:52 PM

1,401 posts, read 3,773,407 times
The one thing you can be certain of about winter in the DuBois to St. Mary's Area: it won't stay the same all season.

Today is February 13. Yes we have snow. In my yard there is about 10" of the stuff right now.... Temperatures in the 20'sF. Day before yesterday, it was single digits, and windy. Even though we are pretty far from Lake Erie, we do still get some of the lake effect stuff. Not as heavy as Erie, but we still get a good bit of it. We also have been known to get a pretty good nor'easter now and then too.

Now just about a month back, we had two or three days of temperatures near 60F.....

I can't really comment on the mountains keeping things warmer or colder.

This particular year, has been wetter than most, but the forecasts are not calling for anything out of the 30F range for the next week or so.

When we get ice here WE GET ICE.

So while we do stay rather temperate with snow, we do have the occasional 'fake out' warm up where we all go a little ga-ga and open the windows, and get all happy....til the cold stuff settles in again....

As to the growing season, it is very good...you can put your plants in the ground around end of May, and enjoy the garden til just about the end of September. I myself, start my tomato plants inside, (have them started now) and then I'm ready by end of May. Its a good season. There are a lot of farms that sell their produce, including a nice big strawberry farm not far from St. Mary's/Dubois, and you can pick your own. Many of the towns around the area have farmer markets, starting in mid summer whole way through til end of October.

Last edited by Azkadellia; 02-13-2008 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: Forgot something!

Old 02-14-2008, 06:27 AM

THANK YOU SO MUCH, AZ...

You were just the right person to respond..!! i was hoping to find a gardener.!!

And you answered all my questions about "Lake effect snow" ( with which i am very very familiar, living North of Buffalo, myself.

I am just looking for a little more temperate.

St Marys / Dubois area of Pennsylvania sound lovely.

Have a bountiful harvest. !!!
MMMM ...home grown tomatoes.. nothing like them !!!

PS
( yes, we have those 'ga ga days' when we think Spring is right around the corner also... and then.... whammo... snow, sleet and rain.)..

well, it makes up appreciate the Summer more!!!

cheerio
and thanks again
alice

Old 02-14-2008, 10:58 AM

35 posts, read 162,295 times
Default Mountains?

I have to say it. I was born and raised in Brookville, PA 20 miles west of Dubois, PA. But I lived in Hamilton MT. The boot on the west side of MT. So now to me the "mountains" in PA are the foot hills in MT.

But yes the area does have the weather belt. Brookville can get snow and Dubois wont. And yes it will snow on the north of I80 and not the south side. Brookville has gotten 6 ins. of snow and Punxsutawney, 22 miles, south of here didn't get any. So I would say no the mountains do not change the weather.
Beside Phill said he saw his shadow. LOL

Dad plants the farm crops about april to may. So the corn is "knee high by July".

Old 02-14-2008, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the additons,Tab..

interesting.

about mountains..and South of the 180 no snow report.

well, i am glad i am asking questions before i find myself in a snow belt again..

cheerio

alice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania