Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2016, 01:11 PM

4 posts, read 4,436 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving here in 5 years when we retire. Would love to hear from folks who know the area what it's like to live there. We currently live in South Jersey. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 05:34 PM

19 posts, read 26,651 times
Lived here all my life. Grew up in the next town over (Manheim). Curious why you chose Elizabethtown? It is nicely located, easy travel to Harrisburg or Lancaster as well as Hershey.

Lancaster county as a whole gets quite a few people moving here from NY/NJ. I'm used to dealing with such folks but many locals can find the brusque attitude of New Yawkers and Joisey folks a bit off-putting. You have to be prepared for a slower, quieter type of person around here.

E-town itself has several grocery stores, a movie theater, restaurants of some caliber that you need not travel for most things. Traffic on the main street can get a little backed up and E-town post office is the worst I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with but that is the worst I can think of. Downtown is a lot of rental properties too so I'd probably venture a few blocks outward for a quieter experience in a better neighborhood.

We have a chocolate factory here also and if the smell of cocoa bothers you...well, you may need to look towards Mt. Joy.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:28 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,805,595 times
Elizabethtown has surprisingly little retail for a town of 10k population. If you come from a metro suburb or even an independent small town, you might find a frequent need to drive over towards Lancaster for any items beyond the very basic. (Lancaster tends to have better, and more centralized, box-store shopping than Harrisburg.) There is no Walmart even in E-town.

The Amtrak stop with frequent service to Phila/NYC is a big plus. After a stimulus project the waiting room is actually serviceable and might actually compare with a town of similar size in, say, the U.K. for passenger rail usability. That's especially true if you are looking into the Masonic Village complex which is right next to the station (downtown isn't, it's a few blocks away).

Old 04-04-2016, 08:31 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,805,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
We have a chocolate factory here also and if the smell of cocoa bothers you...well, you may need to look towards Mt. Joy.
Another alternative would be to move eight miles northwest to Hershey, the new largest chocolate factory in the world does not emit cocoa smells, although roasting peanuts at the Reese's plant still sometimes is noticed.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:07 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,313,499 times
But don't you WANT to smell chocolate in Hershey?

Old 04-09-2016, 02:54 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,905,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Another alternative would be to move eight miles northwest to Hershey, the new largest chocolate factory in the world does not emit cocoa smells, although roasting peanuts at the Reese's plant still sometimes is noticed.
Taxes in Dauphin County are higher than Lancaster County in general, and real estate in Derry Township is more expensive than in Etown.

I grew up in Etown. There is not much in the town itself. And it is kind of in a strage no-mans-land between Harrisburg and Lancaster. Personally, I'd look into Lititz or Ephrata before Etown.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:37 PM

Thanks so much for all responses. Looking for a quiet small town like the one I live in now but NJ taxes are killing us! I've heard good things about Lititz too and Etown. Thanks again

Old 04-15-2016, 02:24 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,669,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messbeth View Post
Thanks so much for all responses. Looking for a quiet small town like the one I live in now but NJ taxes are killing us! I've heard good things about Lititz too and Etown. Thanks again
If you are homebodies, E-Town is a sleepy bedroom community. Pleasant. Not a lot going on. Maybe you prefer that. Lititz on the other hand, has a great main street community and has festivals, restaurants and things like that. I prefer Lititz by far . . . Come see them both, they are not that far apart in very nice countryside for the most part.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:16 PM

I'm hoping to come in the next few weeks. I checked into Lititz and it looks great. Thanks so much for the tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania