Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2017, 09:46 AM

9,383 posts, read 9,362,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Boutique hotel added to the Saks Fifth Avenue redevelopment site in downtown Pittsburgh. I am not sure if this will add to or replace the apartment portion of the mix use development.

174-room hotel planned for former Saks site Downtown | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pittsburgh's getting Moxy

That's still sad that Saks closed their downtown store. The Pittsburgh area needs another high-end department store. The Philadelphia region for a while was an overlooked retail market considering how many people live there, King of Prussia has finally made up for that, showing off a top notch lineup of retailers, Philadelphia (city) is starting to catch up too. Even though Pittsburgh is a smaller metro, it is still an underserved market IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 10:00 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
That's still sad that Saks closed their downtown store. The Pittsburgh area needs another high-end department store. The Philadelphia region for a while was an overlooked retail market considering how many people live there, King of Prussia has finally made up for that, showing off a top notch lineup of retailers, Philadelphia (city) is starting to catch up too. Even though Pittsburgh is a smaller metro, it is still an underserved market IMO.
Saks was downtown for years and catered to a specific demographic. They mainly focused on well heeled older professionals. They waited to late and asked the city for too much. We lost Saks, Macys, and Lord & Taylor within a 5 year period. The stores anchored the 5th and Smithfield intersection. It was dead for a while but will rebound soon with the continued redvelopement.

Nordstrom and Ross Park Mall is a decent setup for high end shopping. There is an Off Saks an Nordstrom Rack up the street from the mall.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Saks was downtown for years and catered to a specific demographic. They mainly focused on well heeled older professionals. They waited to late and asked the city for too much. We lost Saks, Macys, and Lord & Taylor within a 5 year period. The stores anchored the 5th and Smithfield intersection. It was dead for a while but will rebound soon with the continued redvelopement.

Nordstrom and Ross Park Mall is a decent setup for high end shopping. There is an Off Saks an Nordstrom Rack up the street from the mall.
I follow retail very closely in the Philadelphia area, and I am familiar with Pittsburgh. Yes, the Nordstrom is great, I know a Bloomingdales fell through a few years back in the Pittsburgh area. Super upscale chains are very timid about expanding into new markets this day in age, they like to focus on their already established markets like King of Prussia for example, which is another reason why Philadelphia is still lagging in the retail scene behind KoP.

And as you mentioned a lot of lux department stores are entering into the "outlet" scene, Saks off 5th, Nordstrom Rack etc. I used to get frustrated because Philadelphia gets all the discount versions while KoP gets the full deal fancy department store... o well.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:31 AM

8,701 posts, read 14,713,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
The waters seem safe to come back in....
I am very glad Pittsburgh is adding tech jobs and growing in an important sector! It's good to see.

The charts though are rather useless since they're so sparse on information.

The first chart basically says Pittsburgh grew by 3,200 tech jobs between 2013-2015 for a total of roughly 35,000 total tech jobs in the region. For Philadelphia, it says we grew by 2,500 for a total of roughly 110,000 total tech jobs in the region. This just goes to show how much of a different league these two regions are really in.

The second chart literally says nothing. It is just stating the change in overall share of the nations digital service jobs for each Metropolitan area. Without knowing what the start point of each regions total % of the share of jobs is, it's hard to say what that chart means. For instance, Philadelphia's market share could have been 15%, and with a 0.4% decline, the market share could have fallen to 14.6% even if it gained say 500 jobs in this industry. Pittsburgh increased it's share literally by 0.1%. That could've been an addition of 100 or 200 jobs. Hardly groundbreaking. And Pittsburgh's share could have changed from 1% to 1.1%. We need more information to make an informed decision on what's going on really.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Boutique hotel added to the Saks Fifth Avenue redevelopment site in downtown Pittsburgh. I am not sure if this will add to or replace the apartment portion of the mix use development.

174-room hotel planned for former Saks site Downtown | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pittsburgh's getting Moxy
Very cool! Glad this project is moving forward. This is a much better design and site plan than the last iteration of this project.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:

Yes, it is unfortunate. It seems a lot of department stores are struggling, and are going to continue to seriously downsize their footprints across the US. Even some smaller stores are struggling, like Coach, Juicy Couture, Kenneth Cole, Michael Kors, Ralph Lauren, Lacoste, etc. These stores are all seriously scaling back their number of stores, or cutting out stores completely to be available in department stores and online only.

Center City is lacking in retail when compared to a place like King of Prussia, but it's still added some decent names in the past few years, and the retail scene has changed dramatically. I would give Center City a B+ for retail if King of Prussia was an A+. This is one category where Philly is really on another level than Pittsburgh: retail. Pittsburgh could definitely stand to add some more luxury retail.

For department stores in the Philadelphia area:
Nordstrom Rack - Center City, King of Prussia, Cherry Hill, Willow Grove, Newark, Langhorne
Nordstrom - King of Prussia, Cherry Hill, Newark
Saks Fifth Avenue - Bala Cynwyd (basically right across the Philly city limits)
Saks Off Fifth - Northeast Philly, King of Prussia, Plymouth Meeting, Newark
Neiman Marcus - King of Prussia
Neiman Marcus Last Call - Northeast Philly, Pottstown
Lord & Taylor - Bala Cynwyd (basically right across the Philly city limits), King of Prussia, Moorestown
Century 21 - Center City
Barneys New York - Center City
Boyds - Center City
Bloomingdale's Outlet - Center City
Bloomindgale's - King of Prussia, Willow Grove
Macy's - Center City, Northeast Philly, Springfield, Plymouth Meeting, King of Prussia, Deptford, Voorhees, Exton, Willow Grove, Langhorne, Bensalem, North Wales, Cherry Hill, Moorestown, Newark, Wilmington

Old 03-15-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Yes, it is unfortunate. It seems a lot of department stores are struggling, and are going to continue to seriously downsize their footprints across the US. Even some smaller stores are struggling, like Coach, Juicy Couture, Kenneth Cole, Michael Kors, Ralph Lauren, Lacoste, etc. These stores are all seriously scaling back their number of stores, or cutting out stores completely to be available in department stores and online only.

Center City is lacking in retail when compared to a place like King of Prussia, but it's still added some decent names in the past few years, and the retail scene has changed dramatically. I would give Center City a B+ for retail if King of Prussia was an A+. This is one category where Philly is really on another level than Pittsburgh: retail. Pittsburgh could definitely stand to add some more luxury retail.

For department stores in the Philadelphia area:
Nordstrom Rack - Center City, King of Prussia, Cherry Hill, Willow Grove, Newark, Langhorne
Nordstrom - King of Prussia, Cherry Hill, Newark
Saks Fifth Avenue - Bala Cynwyd (basically right across the Philly city limits)
Saks Off Fifth - Northeast Philly, King of Prussia, Plymouth Meeting, Newark
Neiman Marcus - King of Prussia
Neiman Marcus Last Call - Northeast Philly, Pottstown
Lord & Taylor - Bala Cynwyd (basically right across the Philly city limits), King of Prussia, Moorestown
Century 21 - Center City
Barneys New York - Center City
Boyds - Center City
Bloomingdale's Outlet - Center City
Bloomindgale's - King of Prussia, Willow Grove
Macy's - Center City, Northeast Philly, Springfield, Plymouth Meeting, King of Prussia, Deptford, Voorhees, Exton, Willow Grove, Langhorne, Bensalem, North Wales, Cherry Hill, Moorestown, Newark, Wilmington
I can't wait to see the retaliation from a certain poster on this one...

Philadelphia city I would give a B, because it is still lacking for a city of its size, and some of the stores (Zara is an example) are extremely small and limited collections. Metro Philly gets a solid A, on the verge on an A+ due to KoP and the rebirth and growth of other shopping districts within the region like the former Granite Run Mall.

There is also a Saks off 5th coming to Willow Grove.

And from an insider source, the Nordstrom in KoP is in the top 10 Nordstroms for gross sales, and Macys KoP, Christiana, and CC are among the top grossing Macys too.

Also, you still have dozens and dozens of other exclusive brands like Hermes, Bottega Veneta, YSL, Jimmy Choo, DVF, etc. with their only PA location in the Philadelphia area (most likely KoP).

Last edited by cpomp; 03-15-2017 at 12:47 PM..

Old 03-15-2017, 01:47 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,251,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
I am very glad Pittsburgh is adding tech jobs and growing in an important sector! It's good to see.

The charts though are rather useless since they're so sparse on information.

The first chart basically says Pittsburgh grew by 3,200 tech jobs between 2013-2015 for a total of roughly 35,000 total tech jobs in the region. For Philadelphia, it says we grew by 2,500 for a total of roughly 110,000 total tech jobs in the region. This just goes to show how much of a different league these two regions are really in.

The second chart literally says nothing. It is just stating the change in overall share of the nations digital service jobs for each Metropolitan area. Without knowing what the start point of each regions total % of the share of jobs is, it's hard to say what that chart means. For instance, Philadelphia's market share could have been 15%, and with a 0.4% decline, the market share could have fallen to 14.6% even if it gained say 500 jobs in this industry. Pittsburgh increased it's share literally by 0.1%. That could've been an addition of 100 or 200 jobs. Hardly groundbreaking. And Pittsburgh's share could have changed from 1% to 1.1%. We need more information to make an informed decision on what's going on really.
I would think being happy to be on any side with NYC? Would be seen as good? I couldn't resist. I'd say it merely shows cites in a upswing period in Tech jobs.

A new one for 2017 in -- Jobs Ranking by city -- Should I say I can't wait for certain persons comments?? Like some here.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-cities-for-jobs/2173/

Cities for job growth overall rank
Pittsburgh #36
Chicago #108
Philadelphia #129

Socioeconomic Environment' rank
Pittsburgh #7
Chicago #93
Philadelphia #113

Job Market rank
Pittsburgh #63
Chicago #111
Philadelphia #131

Old 03-15-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

A new one for 2017 in -- Jobs Ranking by city -- Should I say I can't wait for certain persons comments?? Like some here.
Well if that was a dig at me.. I rarely comment on these stats, I only call people out if they make an outlandish claim. I have since been actively engaging with another poster about retail in the two areas.

However, those of us who were talking about retail above made a valid point when comparing the two areas. That one poster I was referring to earlier may not address those comment or may shockingly actually agree with us, because disagreeing would again make that poster look silly and out of touch with reality.

I am trying to challenge or belittle your posts or Pittsburghs progress, that's the difference.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:29 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Well if that was a dig at me.. I rarely comment on these stats, I only call people out if they make an outlandish claim. I have since been actively engaging with another poster about retail in the two areas.

However, those of us who were talking about retail above made a valid point when comparing the two areas. That one poster I was referring to earlier may not address those comment or may shockingly actually agree with us, because disagreeing would again make that poster look silly and out of touch with reality.

I am trying to challenge or belittle your posts or Pittsburghs progress, that's the difference.
I do not post for competition. I post for informative post regarding the two cities. I would expect the Philadelphia are to have more retail outlets do to the size / population difference. I am more of an independent boutique shopper and Pittsburgh has enough to satisfy my needs. Ross Park Mall and the surrounding area comes in handy though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania