Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2016, 10:27 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times

Advertisements

I'm from PA but from SW PA (Johnstown) and weather can be a little different than the central part of PA. I'm planning to go up to visit my mother and debating when to go. I have an international trip planned already end of September, so I thought of pushing a trip to PA to October or November.

I'm trying to decide whether to drive up, my car does have AWD, or fly up and take chances on weather cancellations. I'd be going to Duncannon which is pretty close to Harrisburg. It would probably be a 1-2 day trip. I did think about visiting a brother in Pittsburgh but I haven't decided about that yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 11:00 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
The weather isn't going to be that much different. It might be cold or rain, but that's about it. Every so many years there's a dusting of snow, but it doesn't last long.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:11 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,274,358 times
Harrisburg isn't going to be very different from Johnstown. Even coming as far north as we are (Columbia County), there's still not too much of a change. We spend most Thanksgivings here, and I can't remember the last time we had snow. We did have some pretty scary winds one year.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:37 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
It's really not that different though if anything it's usually a little warmer and less snowy in Central than Western PA.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:14 PM

15 posts, read 16,964 times
The posters above are right on target about Central PA weather in Oct and Nov but Pittsburgh can be something else. Pittsburgh is in the Cleveland/Buffalo weather tri-area with snows from the lakes, so that is something to consider.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:01 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George22x24 View Post
The posters above are right on target about Central PA weather in Oct and Nov but Pittsburgh can be something else. Pittsburgh is in the Cleveland/Buffalo weather tri-area with snows from the lakes, so that is something to consider.
Thanks. Hadn't thought about that. Maybe I'll limit my visit to Duncannon/Harrisburg.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:43 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh only averages 2 inches of snow in November and average highs here in late Nov are in the upper 40's. You have to go north of I-80 to really have a chance of decent snowfall in November. A pretty cold Thanksgiving does happen here every few years, but I can't ever remember snow stopping us from visiting family on the holiday.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:41 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Any weather can happen around Thanksgiving, but generally the weather isn't bad, and the likelihood of weather-related flight cancellations is slim.

I've encountered snow and freezing rain in the mountains near Clearfield, and of course lake-effect snow in Erie, but Duncannon is neither in the mountains nor anywhere near Lake Erie.

You'll be fine, any way you travel.

Quote:
What? I don't think so.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:53 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Weather in Penna in late November can be characterized in one word -- unpredictable. I drove I-80 in a heavy (1 foot-plus) snowstorm on one occasion, and in extremely dense fog on another. But I've also experienced Thanksgiving Day temperatures in the sixties.

Best advice I could give would be to allow extra time in the window if possible.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:03 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
We once drove into a major snowstorm just north of Philly on our way to Wilkes-Barre for Thanksgiving. The only reason we made it there that evening was the number of plows on 476 north of the Leigh Valley Tunnel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania