Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 12:50 PM

10 posts, read 23,347 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've lived in Erie my whole life and Millcreek is a great area to live. It's perfect because you have the suburbs but you're still so close to everything. Peach street is really where everything is in Erie, besides downtown State street and of course our beautiful "beaches" on Lake Erie. Presque Isle is awesome in the summer. If you love to walk or run or bird watch or just do anything outside. It's there. We have the most amazing sunsets and don't forget about "Sara's Diner". Downtown Erie is where you go on the weekends. State street is lined with bars. Peach street is where you go to eat. I swear Erie people eat out every day of the week! We've got it all. Peach street is also where you go to shop.

I'm currently looking to get out of Erie because I'm young and would like a change, but I do live it here. The winters are long long long and cold and if you don't love snow, don't come here, but our summers are great. It's also a great place to raise a family. We got it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 12:58 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLauren View Post
Peach street is where you go to eat. I swear Erie people eat out every day of the week!
Peach Street is where you go to eat at chain restaurants. You want some real local flavor, go to Dominick's on E. 12th Street, any other mom-and-pop Italian restaurant, or a bar that serves Lake Erie perch!

Dangit, I've made myself hungry again ...

I don't blame you, though, for wanting to see what else is out there. I could not have lived in Erie while I was in my 20s and 30s. Now that I've lived a few other places, I might be able to go back.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:56 PM

356 posts, read 834,295 times
Erie's a nice enough city, I've lived in HC (harborcreek) my whole life, though the past 4 years I've been in Cleveland going to college. I'm personally not sure if I'll be able to find a job, however Erie Insurance is a possibility.

I also agree with the statement that Erie is not a diverse place. If you go outside of the city itself, every township is at least 95% white. However, as most are also big farming communities, it's not that surprising.

However, the people (for the most part) are nice (much nicer than those in Cleveland. In Erie they actually say hi to you and don't just scream at you). Unfortunately, it's been in decline for a long time now, and like most of the other manufacturing cities around us (Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh) Erie doesn't have many job opportunities.

As for the "can't get a job unless you know someone/are related to someone", if you're looking at certain companies, it wouldn't surprise me. Everyone knows everyone in Erie, from my experience.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:15 AM

511 posts, read 1,937,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmandans View Post
Just happening to look over the forums here (was looking at info about ND since I'm moving there in a few months from England.) Noticed your post asking about Erie. Well I lived there for 18 years, so hopefully I can give you some valuable insight.

The good things about Erie: Lots of stuff to do. Stores are always open at convienent hours. if pubs/bars are your thing, plenty of those to go crawling around. Can't say much for the clubbing scene..maybe a few places on State Street, but since I havent lived there for 4 years, I'm not sure.

Some more good things: lots of conventions to go to , fairs, always a live band or three playing. Civic Center has concerts all the time. Have a hockey and baseball team too, triple A, not exactly majors, but still fun to go to. Upper Peach street always has stuff happening, you have the Millcreek Mall to go shopping at, and many places to wine and dine..(I sure do miss Olive Garden's breadsticks..lol)

Many job oppertunites also. Close places nearby are Harborcreek, Millcreek, City of Erie itself, Warren township and Union City.

Beautiful lake, the peninsula is a great place to go to get some sun, enjoy the beaches. Also there is a mini amusement park..not the greatest, but you can kill a day there if you should care to. Also has water slides if you have children.

Now the cons. Extremly diverse. That can be good and bad. Bad because hard to understand alot of people, but good at the same time if you want to possibly meet some new people and learn new things from them. Many houses are well worn....the East side is considered the ghetto of Erie. Maybe I was over priviliged to live on the west side..but from my overall experience, I refused to walk around alone at night. Traffic can be a downfall if you are coming home along I-90, and the winters can give you whiteouts. People tend to drive a bit aggressive in Erie. Crime varies from area to area....just be careful and you'll be fine. Don't be paranoid careful..thats just creepy.
FYI:The northern part of Erie, upper Peach Street, near the Zoo, is where the richer people live, houses are beautiful inside and out. Golf courses and skating rinks near the zoo make it a good area to live.
I honestly wouldnt mind living in Erie again should I ever have the chance, due to having so much to do, but for now I just don't care to go back. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did when I was growing up. If you need any other info, please feel free to contact me. Take care.
Boy did I get a good laugh out of some of these points......

"Many job oppertunites also."

Yeah, thats why I moved to Pittsburgh. Erie has a ton of 7, 8 and 9 dollar an hour jobs, but at nearly 38 years old, I need better than that.

"Traffic can be a downfall if you are coming home along I-90,"

I wrote regularly in the Erie Times News and still do even though I have moved; one thing I wrote immediately after moving to Pittsburgh is that I don't ever want to hear anyone from Erie complain about traffic again.

"Extremly diverse. That can be good and bad. "
It should be good, plain and simple. Erie needs a shot of culture worse than anywhere I've ever been.

"the East side is considered the ghetto of Erie."
Thats not true at all. You need to be much more specific than that. Take the east side of 38th street near Mclelland. Thats one of the nicest areas in the city. And any area you may consider "ghetto" Ive probably drove through in an automobile or on bike. We live not far at all from the Homewood area in Pittsburgh, ain't nothing in Erie that can touch that.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:42 PM

713 posts, read 1,866,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurlwonderie View Post
I know this is late, but give me a break! Many job opportunities in Erie? LOL! Are you sure you are not talking about Erie, Colorado?

If your college major was "Applied Theory of Telemarketing" or "Advanced Burger Rotation" with a minor in "Do You Want Fries With That", then YEAH there are plenty of job opps around here.
Hilarious and truthful post.

Erie's economy is based on heart attacks, fast food, pumping gas, funerals, and crystal meth. There are a few good jobs, but you have to "know somebody" to get one.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:57 AM

2 posts, read 5,774 times
Erie would be nice to go on weekends in summer and fall. Considering a cottage. Can anyone recommend a nice area to invest in a lake view or lake side cottage? Close to biking, small town shopping etc. Not looking to invest over 70K.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 5,774 times
Lightbulb Erie Lake cottage

Erie would be nice to go on weekends in summer and fall. Considering a cottage. Can anyone recommend a nice area to invest in a lake view or lake side cottage? Close to biking, small town shopping etc. Would certainly like to find a fixer upper, and not too big. I looked on wth web at the Ohio line, seems nice, but do not know the reality of things to do, surroundings, etc, Not looking to invest over 70K. We would love to find somethingnear or on the lake shore, but areopen to being off the lake as long as the view of the lake exists.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urfrnd View Post
Erie would be nice to go on weekends in summer and fall. Considering a cottage. Can anyone recommend a nice area to invest in a lake view or lake side cottage? Close to biking, small town shopping etc. Not looking to invest over 70K.
North East, PA, the small town outside of Erie that I grew up in, is cottage central. Do a search in that area and I'm sure you will find something. I also have a cousin who I will see over Christmas that has a cottage, not sure if he is still interested in selling it or not, but will keep in touch and let you know

Old 01-11-2008, 07:35 AM

71 posts, read 302,727 times
I dont understand your whole Erie needs a shot of culture thing... In pittsburgh there are a few areas that are diverse due to the fact of Pitt and Carnegie Mellon being here... Besides that it is black or white... Infact Erie has more total hispanics than all of Pittsburgh... Pittsburgh has no spanish tv stations either... In erie I atleast had Telemundo and I think one or two others.. I have been in Pitt for 4 years now and outside of Oakland, Shadyside and Squirrell Hill... Its not too diverse...

Old 01-11-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinoG711 View Post
I dont understand your whole Erie needs a shot of culture thing... In pittsburgh there are a few areas that are diverse due to the fact of Pitt and Carnegie Mellon being here... Besides that it is black or white... Infact Erie has more total hispanics than all of Pittsburgh... Pittsburgh has no spanish tv stations either... In erie I atleast had Telemundo and I think one or two others.. I have been in Pitt for 4 years now and outside of Oakland, Shadyside and Squirrell Hill... Its not too diverse...
The fact that Erie has a large poplulation of whatever race doesn't mean it's diverse, what I was speaking of is the acceptance of those cultures, which Erie is very backwoods about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania