Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 10:52 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Is there a particular petition or bill that has been proposed that you can link to?
Senate Co-Sponsorship Memoranda - PA State Senate

This is the current bill in our state congress that would require all pet stores to get their animals from “humane sources”.

Quote:
Legislation is in the works in the House and Senate to lessen the risk by banning pet stores in Pennsylvania from selling dogs, cats, or rabbits unless they come from a shelters and rescues.
The proposed legislation also would ban the sale of dogs at outdoor venues and require licensed breeders to include their license number in advertisements so consumers can check them out and breeders have extra incentive to comply with the law. However, it would not have any impact on sales by private breeders.
Proposed bill seeks to put puppy mills out of business in Pennsylvania | PennLive.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 11:05 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Senate Co-Sponsorship Memoranda - PA State Senate

This is the current bill in our state congress that would require all pet stores to get their animals from “humane sources”.

Proposed bill seeks to put puppy mills out of business in Pennsylvania | PennLive.com
one question, what is to say, that puppy mills now, decide to deem themselves a rescue?
Who enforces this?

I had heard, there are very few people out there that can even enforce these to shut these inhumane puppy mills down.....

I'm not trying to be contrary, I am trying to learn?

I mean, we can pass any law...in PA, but who is going to enforce it and stop puppies and dogs from being sold by these puppy mills....who inspects them?

How can the rescues get in and yet, no one can get in to inspect these mills.

Thanks

Old 04-19-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Supposedly, there are a lot of puppy mills in Lancaster County, some run by Amish. It is a terrible practice, and I see signs on the PA Turnpike out there by some organization against it. So there is some awareness about it. Politicians only care about media driven issues so they can get votes. Casey is the WORST.
yes, there is some, and I've learned there was so much more than what I thought....

Puppy mills are all over this country, in Ohio, the Amish...

The Amish belong to an old fashioned breed of people that years ago was practiced....my Grand father and my father, both had dogs outside....they were big and hunting dogs, they had a pen, and a dog house...and were well cared for...but I still to this day don't believe in that...I don't believe dogs should be kept outside, unless their in a heated kennel, or air conditioned, or with fans in the summer.

But the Amish believe it's ok to do what they are doing, b/c they were raised to believe this, and they treat those dogs terrible, some of them are in open cages, never left out of those cages, they get sick and are not cared for, they get exposure, cages on top of cages, wire and open....with 2 - 4 dogs in each cage. Terrible.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:51 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
one question, what is to say, that puppy mills now, decide to deem themselves a rescue?
Who enforces this?

I had heard, there are very few people out there that can even enforce these to shut these inhumane puppy mills down.....

I'm not trying to be contrary, I am trying to learn?

I mean, we can pass any law...in PA, but who is going to enforce it and stop puppies and dogs from being sold by these puppy mills....who inspects them?

How can the rescues get in and yet, no one can get in to inspect these mills.

Thanks
That’s a good question. I am unsure who is actually checking and enforcing the law.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
That’s a good question. I am unsure who is actually checking and enforcing the law.
yes, unfortunately, we also have a law that requires everyone in PA to clean the snow off the roofs of their cars...but people don't.

We have a law that you are supposed to stop for a red light, but people don't. There are not enough law enforcement people to go around....

What they need to do is hopefully thru this, learn as they go and eventually will close those places down, but we all together need to keep an eye out and keep hounding them, no pun intended.

But I mean it, thank you for what you posted...

What they should do is impose huge fines...huge....for violating these poor critters.

did you see the woman who thru 4 dogs out of her car....they got her license plate, and should take her to the cleaners...those poor animals were so confused, didn't know what to do or where to go, and she left...one dog laid by her car, she couild have run over him while leaving and some woman video taped her and got her license plate, so?

Old 05-01-2018, 04:46 AM

25 posts, read 51,615 times
It is sad how little is done to stop puppy mills by our politicians. I lobbied one year in Harrisburg for the Human Society and it is a very low priority.

Truth is, until people stop "buying" dogs from pet stores and ads online and in papers, the mills probably won't stop. Amish and the like just do not see dogs as anything but income. They are not pets.

The most activity/exposure mills have had is from Oprah. She really did justice to opening up people's eyes. Truth is, people just do not know/understand what a puppy mills is and how unspeakably horrible they are. I volunteer for a rescue that takes in Lancaster puppy mill dogs (in fact I have one myself!) and speak to the public about mills. People really do not know about them!

Old 05-01-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Have you also contacted state politicians and gotten any responses? Waiting for Congress to act seems like a bad bet.
yes, I have, been writing them for years, but wanted to see what Casey had to say, nothing much.

I'm sick of seeing the abuse cases on line, and people commenting on them, why don't they all take time to write their politicians about this....it's so easy now a days...but they don't.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CozyCorner View Post
It is sad how little is done to stop puppy mills by our politicians. I lobbied one year in Harrisburg for the Human Society and it is a very low priority.

Truth is, until people stop "buying" dogs from pet stores and ads online and in papers, the mills probably won't stop. Amish and the like just do not see dogs as anything but income. They are not pets.

The most activity/exposure mills have had is from Oprah. She really did justice to opening up people's eyes. Truth is, people just do not know/understand what a puppy mills is and how unspeakably horrible they are. I volunteer for a rescue that takes in Lancaster puppy mill dogs (in fact I have one myself!) and speak to the public about mills. People really do not know about them!
that is the problem, right there, people refuse to educate themselves, and get involved...your right, most people don't know.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:01 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CozyCorner View Post

I can recall (was it over a decade ago?) when she came out to our state after being hounded by that Mainline Animal Rescue guy who was very bold in begging for help and "exposure." A vet of mine was responsible for operating/reconstructing the poor dogs' feet after being raised on top of caged floors and becoming basically deformed!! I CAN NOT BELIEVE nothing was permanently done after that!!!! OUTRAGEOUS!!!!

Old 05-14-2018, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post

I can recall (was it over a decade ago?) when she came out to our state after being hounded by that Mainline Animal Rescue guy who was very bold in begging for help and "exposure." A vet of mine was responsible for operating/reconstructing the poor dogs' feet after being raised on top of caged floors and becoming basically deformed!! I CAN NOT BELIEVE nothing was permanently done after that!!!! OUTRAGEOUS!!!!
I think, someone's being paid off...?

Just a guess, but after all the inhuman reports encountered, even as much as taking them outback and shooting them...and nothing is being done, doesn't say much for our politicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania