Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:32 AM

8 posts, read 23,978 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am from Houston, Tx and am moving to Erie, Pa in June or July. I have never seen snow in my life (other than the pathetic drizzles we have here once every few years) and know absolutely nothing about living in it. I am looking for a house between LECOM and Penn State Behrend, and I am noticing that many of them do not have garages.

Is it important to have one?

If you have any other advice, please let me know! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 09:30 AM

393 posts, read 1,531,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AButler2005 View Post
Hello all,

I am from Houston, Tx and am moving to Erie, Pa in June or July. I have never seen snow in my life (other than the pathetic drizzles we have here once every few years) and know absolutely nothing about living in it. I am looking for a house between LECOM and Penn State Behrend, and I am noticing that many of them do not have garages.

Well, Erie sits on the edge of Lake Erie and they get a lot of 'lake effect snow' in the winter. It probably isn't absolutely necessary to have a garage if you don't mind cleaning snow off of your vehicle on a regular basis.

I don't have a garage and I absolutely despise cleaning an inch or two of snow off of my car. With a garage, I wouldn't have to waste the time.

Of course PA garage owner are much like garage owners in other parts of the country. They fill their garages with junk and leave a $30,000 vehicle sitting out in the weather.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:38 PM

53 posts, read 216,871 times
Default Scrape scrape scrape

Also ask yourself if you think it is fun to start your work day scraping off ice/frost/snow on a freezing morning. I guess you could get the car started and leave it with the defroster on but I never felt comfortable doing that.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:52 PM

7 posts, read 22,064 times
Default Snow Snow Snow

We have lived on Lake Ontario in upstate NY for 34 years and have had a garage for 13 years. If you can get a house with a garage I would recommend it. But many folks do without one. You do have to scrape ice and snow off if you park outside. It is also advantageous to have the car in the garage if you have to use a snowblower or call someone to plow your driveway after a heavy snow.
I guess if I was moving to Erie from Houston I would want a garage. The cold is enough to get used to. I used to live near Dallas and there is enough to get used to "up North".

Old 03-30-2008, 11:37 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,530,840 times
In most places besides the Erie vicinity I would say no, but the threat of major snowfall would require one, not only to keep your car warm and clean but to house your snowblower...

Old 03-31-2008, 07:33 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,995,881 times
I would put a garage high on the priority list. I lived in three northern cities, and only one of the houses had a garage. It was high on our list, but wasn't a deal breaker. But the benefits are vast - yes to, of course, added storage possibilities and keeping snow off the cars, but also a huge benefit if it's an attached garage - makes unloading groceries in the dead of winter a much-easier task.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:56 AM

41,984 posts, read 75,252,667 times
That's a pretty wide expanse of real estate. What neighborhoods are you looking in? At which campus will you be spending most of your time? How much can you spend?

It's not vital to have a garage, but it's nice to have one (says the girl who would race to beat her dad home from work so she could claim the garage). Brushing the snow off the car really isn't that horrific of a chore; what's more of a pain is chipping ice off the car after ice storms. But those aren't as plentiful as snowfalls.

If you live out closer to Behrend, though, your property may be big enough to add a garage if you like.

If it came down to a choice between two houses, though, take the one with the shorter driveway. Consider a snowblower. Don't panic unless the snow accumulates at more than a foot; anything less is just a mere annoyance in Erie.

More snow advice? Drive slowly, but not too slowly. Keep your foot off the brake. Clear your entire car of snow and ice, even the roof and fenders. Come September, get a good pair of waterproof boots. Dress in layers when the snow starts to fly.

Buy snowshoes, and enjoy the beautiful scenery in the snow. Learn to ski or snowboard. Take up ice fishing. Embrace the winter!

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 03-31-2008 at 08:05 AM..

Old 03-31-2008, 10:47 AM

955 posts, read 4,092,355 times
We live in Erie. It would be a mistake to move into a home without a garage. In addition to the snow (118 inches so far this season), it gets cold. You'll be scraping windows every morning. Not only that, but if you park on the street you'll get plowed in.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:28 PM

713 posts, read 1,866,756 times
Exclamation Houston to Erie??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AButler2005 View Post
Hello all,

You are in for quite a shock if you've never seen snow! Erie gets around 100 inches of snow per year, thanks to Lake Erie. I don't have a garage, and I wish I had one. It can get really old chizzling ice and snow off your car every other morning (I'm not exaggerating, it often snows at least a few inches for several days at a time.) Also because of the great lakes, winters are extemely cloudy, a lot like Seattle. It can get quite depressing, and Seasonal Effective Disorder can be a problem, especially if you are used to a sunny climate.

Have you ever driven in snow? Unless it snows well over a foot, you will still have to go to school/work and drive in snow.

On the bright side, we almost always have a white Christmas.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:10 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,676,644 times
I don't live by Erie.......but in a snow belt non the less........
I've had no garage and garages.
It is tremendously easier to have a garage. No taking the snow and ice off the car on a daily bases is wonderful. Such a savings of time and effort..........
By Erie...........I'd put it first on my list of needs when buying a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania