Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2018, 08:22 AM

51 posts, read 109,759 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I would like to retire to a lakefront or riverfront home in Pennsylvania priced around $350K and not far (20 minutes?) from a city and hospital. The outskirts of Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and the Lehigh Valley all interest us. Does anyone have some suggestions? We appreciate feedback. Thanks very much.

Last edited by cedardra; 07-08-2018 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: More Information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 08:33 AM

51 posts, read 109,759 times
We do NOT want a rental area. We have kayaks and a pontoon. Would like a 1/2-acre lot or more. Thanks!

Old 07-08-2018, 05:33 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,183,576 times
I suggest Lake Wallenpaupack, which is the biggest lake in NEPA. Unfortunately, you can't buy a lakefront there given your price limit. Ditto for Harvey's Lake, the biggest natural lake in NEPA. There aren't too many lakes around Philly or Pittsburgh. You can buy a lakefront foreclosure in one of the many Pocono HOAs within your price range, but the lakes are small and many don't permit power boats. Suggestion: Zillow lists 5377 waterfront homes for sale in Minnesota ("land of 10,000 lakes") and 11,362 waterfront homes for sale in Michigan.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:20 AM

377 posts, read 667,338 times
Are you familiar with the Philadelphia waterfront areas and if so, which ones seem to match your lifestyle?

Old 07-09-2018, 05:53 AM

264 posts, read 338,583 times
You won't find lakefront within 20 minutes of Pittsburgh. If you stretch that distance a bit, check around Shenango Lake.

Riverfront is more do-able in the Pittsburgh area. Look for something on Atlantic Avenue in Monaca, PA. Many of those homes have direct river access and docks on the river. However, the back yards are steep getting down to the river.

The property along/around waterways is owned by the government, so having private property with direct river access isn't all that common that I know of.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:12 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
The three things that you are looking for- 20 minutes from a hospital, 1/2 an acre and $350,000 cost make your search a real challenge. You may find a house on a lake an hour from a hospital. Or a house on a lake for $350,000 but it won't be on 1/2 an acre. Can you prioritize what you really want? The 20 minute distance from a hospital and city is pretty much out as far as I know. Are you looking for a fixer-upper?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:28 AM

1,398 posts, read 915,560 times
Look on lakehomes.com to get a better idea. I'd guess the Poconos are your best bet, like Arrowhead Lakes or Lake Harmony or something like that. It's not going to be within 20 mins of a city, depending on what you consider a city, but there are plenty of retirees and therefore hospitals in the region, so it should check most of your boxes and is within 2 hours of both Philly and NYC for day trips.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:41 AM

599 posts, read 499,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
Look on lakehomes.com to get a better idea. I'd guess the Poconos are your best bet, like Arrowhead Lakes or Lake Harmony or something like that. It's not going to be within 20 mins of a city, depending on what you consider a city, but there are plenty of retirees and therefore hospitals in the region, so it should check most of your boxes and is within 2 hours of both Philly and NYC for day trips.
One of the significant reasons that we decided to leave the Lake Harmony, west end of the Poconos are is a specific lack of health care, and emergency care. As a retired builder from the area, I can assure you that there are not "plenty of retirees" in the area. Like most parts of PA. there are some, but most dwellings in the area are unoccupied for the vast majority of the time, since they are typically weekend vacation homes. One development I built in had roughly 300 full time residents, spread out over ten square miles, with 85% of the homes in the community being unoccupied 90% of the time. There were retirees, but they got old and bored pretty quickly. Secondly, as you noted, there are no hospitals within twenty minutes of anything in that area. Harmony and Arrowhead are both 25 miles and thirty minutes away from the closest hospital, the new St. Lukes in Bartonsville. That assumes that both the weather and traffic are cooperating, which is one heck of a risk. I know that a serious accident or injury in that part of the state, can mean an hour from the time you dial 911 to being rolled into the ER, in many cases. I once waited for FORTY FIVE minutes for an ambulance and advanced life support to arrive , following a serious event in in the west end of Monroe County, a few minutes south of Lake Harmony. I built several homes for retirees from NYC and Philly. When it was my turn, I knew that it wasn't a good fit for my retirement. If the OP feels that being 45 minutes from civilization, isolated and bored, is all worth the benefit of staring at your own lake frontage, the Poconos are your best shot at fairly low budget lakefront property, but this is a case where I would rent for a year before pulling the trigger on a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania