Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 06:18 AM

409 posts, read 370,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I 500% recommend Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. It is absolutely beautiful. That beauty largely is beacuse much of that bountiful farmland is protected and why acres cost big dollars.

I would also suggest northern Dauphin County, just north of Harrisburg (which also has an Amtrak connection). This actually might be my new #1 recommendation.
Yes, I'm a big fan of Lancaster and it would provide everything that he's describing...except:
  • He said he wanted to be 30-45 minutes from a big city. I'm not sure if Lancaster counts as a "big city", or maybe he's willing to compromise on the city's size after hearing our feedback. Lancaster has a downtown area with some bars/restaurants/shops, etc but it's more of a big town / small city.
  • The job market - Sure there are accounting jobs in/around Lancaster, but it's slim pickings compared to Philly/Allentown. Everyone would want to live in Lancaster if it had a robust job market, but then again, it wouldn't be Lancaster anymore.

If you can find a well-paying and fulfilling job in Lancaster, by all means, go for it. It's not impossible, just harder. Luckily, the job-market is in your favor right now.

For reference, here's the population of the downtown areas in question:
  • Philadelphia: 1.6 million
  • Allentown:120k
  • Lancaster:60k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 08:49 AM

22 posts, read 13,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
Yes, I'm a big fan of Lancaster and it would provide everything that he's describing...except:
  • He said he wanted to be 30-45 minutes from a big city. I'm not sure if Lancaster counts as a "big city", or maybe he's willing to compromise on the city's size after hearing our feedback. Lancaster has a downtown area with some bars/restaurants/shops, etc but it's more of a big town / small city.
  • The job market - Sure there are accounting jobs in/around Lancaster, but it's slim pickings compared to Philly/Allentown. Everyone would want to live in Lancaster if it had a robust job market, but then again, it wouldn't be Lancaster anymore.

If you can find a well-paying and fulfilling job in Lancaster, by all means, go for it. It's not impossible, just harder. Luckily, the job-market is in your favor right now.

For reference, here's the population of the downtown areas in question:
  • Philadelphia: 1.6 million
  • Allentown:120k
  • Lancaster:60k
That's quite interesting. According to my observation ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pXY...w?usp=drivesdk ), there are more jobs in Lancaster Country than in Allentown. If you also consider the fact the population is half that of Allentown, that means there is technically twice as many opportunities available in Lancaster. This is what was so confusing to me give that homes are less expensive around Lancaster. Am I looking this wrong?

Old 09-27-2018, 10:07 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,316,080 times
Lancaster County is part of the Susquehanna Valley an area of 1.2 Million residents and 3 small cities: Harrisburg, Lancaster and York. Each carries their own 'metro' but all are within 35 - 40 minutes of one another, therefore they share and feed off of each other's economies.

This is a quick relation to understand how the areas differ.

Susquehanna Valley( Lancaster, Harrisburg, York) pop. 1.2 Million
Lehigh Valley (Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton) pop. 875k

Old 09-27-2018, 10:49 AM

22 posts, read 13,347 times
Quote:
Lancaster County is part of the Susquehanna Valley an area of 1.2 Million residents and 3 small cities: Harrisburg, Lancaster and York. Each carries their own 'metro' but all are within 35 - 40 minutes of one another, therefore they share and feed off of each other's economies.

This is a quick relation to understand how the areas differ.

Susquehanna Valley( Lancaster, Harrisburg, York) pop. 1.2 Million
Lehigh Valley (Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton) pop. 875k
Thanks for clarifying that. I narrowed down the search to only within city limits, but Lancaster still wins (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k10...w?usp=drivesdk) . Seems like a pretty good area to look for homes (in comparison to Allentown) when considering work, schools, and housing cost.

Old 09-27-2018, 01:10 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
You would be doing yourself a disfavor if you limit yourself to Allentown city limits. The largest employer, Lehigh Valley Hospital, is not within the city of Allentown, the main campus is in Salisbury township. The city of Bethlehem adjoins Allentown and people work in either city. Literally adjoins - I don't know which place I'm in when I'm at the west end of Bethlehem and the east end of Allentown. Popular work places where I live are any of the colleges Lehigh, Muhlenberg, Moravian, DeSales, Cedar Crest or PSU Lehigh Valley. I believe Muhlenberg is the only one in the city of Allentown.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:53 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,316,080 times
I vote Lancaster. Both the Lehigh and Susquehanna Valley enjoy a Whole Foods and Apple Store. (I make these retail markers for QOL as they are very particular where they locate).

The Susquehanna Valley metro is larger than the Lehigh Valley and the # of accounting jobs is actually quite profound with Harrisburg being a short 30 minutes away.

The Lehigh Valley is great and I am not discounting. But Lancaster right now has a slight edge imo. Althought Bethelhem is surely nothing to discount. Both are great. But I will say Lancaster and Chester Counties feel very similar in many ways, and they are both quintessential Pennsylvania.

Lancaster does not have a direct highway route to Philadelphia which in a positive way has limited the number of warehouses. Which is a POSITIVE in terms of quality of life.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:25 AM

409 posts, read 370,609 times
Quote:
I vote Lancaster. Both the Lehigh and Susquehanna Valley enjoy a Whole Foods and Apple Store. (I make these retail markers for QOL as they are very particular where they locate).

The Susquehanna Valley metro is larger than the Lehigh Valley and the # of accounting jobs is actually quite profound with Harrisburg being a short 30 minutes away.

The Lehigh Valley is great and I am not discounting. But Lancaster right now has a slight edge imo. Althought Bethelhem is surely nothing to discount. Both are great. But I will say Lancaster and Chester Counties feel very similar in many ways, and they are both quintessential Pennsylvania.

Lancaster does not have a direct highway route to Philadelphia which in a positive way has limited the number of warehouses. Which is a POSITIVE in terms of quality of life.
Rowhomecity nailed it, although I would have been a bit harsher about Lehigh Valley.

People/culture is a huge factor that nobody talks about - maybe because it's a sensitive subject or maybe because it's too specific to each individual's taste. I recommend visiting the areas and going to their malls, supermarkets, bars, and people-watch. See where you feel most comfortable; I love Lancaster's culture but I'm sure other people may hate it. If your fellow citizens frustrate you, you'll hate the area regardless of how trendy the food scene is or how many sports teams there are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania