Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 03:50 PM

34 posts, read 41,037 times

Advertisements

We own a vacation property in the Poconos, and I'll be up there with the wife and kids (ages 5 and 8) at various times this summer. I need to make a weekday errand trip to Bellefonte, PA which is in Centre County and am looking for ideas of fun places to stop en route for a few hours in order to keep the kids and wife happy.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 04:18 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,183,576 times
Knoebels Amusement Park is just slightly off of I-80 near Danville, which is the optimal route to Bellefonte from the Poconos.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:58 AM

409 posts, read 370,436 times
These involve slight detours:
Williamsport - Little League Museum
Centralia - Underground fire
Pottsville - Old Yuengling Brewery

And of course, once you get to Centre County, check out Penn State. There are probably sporting events going on (Basketball, wrestling, volleyball): Go PSU Sports - Composite Schedule

Old 02-06-2019, 12:01 PM

273 posts, read 318,066 times
Let me enthusiastically second the recommendation of Knoebels—for a number of reasons. As mentioned, it is fairly convenient to your route, about 20 minutes’ drive from I-80. But perhaps the biggest advantage in your situation is that the park offers both free admission and free parking; you buy ride tickets (which never expire) and use them on individual rides as desired. So you can stop for a few hours, have lunch, go on a few rides, and not feel the burden of needing to get your money’s worth out of an expensive all-day admission.

Williamsport is my hometown, and I visited the Little League Museum once for a classmate’s birthday party as a young child. It didn’t make much of an impression on me, but then again, I have almost no interest in baseball. But Williamsport itself might be worth a side trip just to have lunch at one of the restaurants downtown and get a break from the chain fast food along I-80. I-180 and US 220 form a loop—separating from I-80 near Milton and rejoining near Lamar—and the loop ads less than a half hour vs. driving I-80 straight across.

Another possible side trip near Williamsport is Reptiland on US 15. It’s a fairly small zoo (though AZA accredited) focused on reptiles. I was there once as a young child (another classmate’s birthday party) but don’t recall much about it. By external appearances, it has expanded considerably in the past couple of decades, and I know its founder/owner Clyde Peeling has international reputation.

Personally, I’d recommend skipping Centralia, primarily because there’s really nothing to see. The town’s buildings were leveled as people moved away.

However, you might want to check out the Pioneer Tunnel Coal Mine in nearby Ashland. I’ve never visited but long wanted to take the underground mine tour.

Another place I’ve never visited—but is advertised heavily on billboards throughout the region—is Penn’s Cave, which is about a dozen miles east of Bellefonte on PA 192. It’s an underground cavern that you tour by boat.

I hope some of the above suggestions are useful. Enjoy your trips!

Old 02-06-2019, 06:10 PM

409 posts, read 370,436 times
I stand corrected. I was under the impression that you would be doing the trip soon (not over the summer). In that case, yes, Knoebles is superior to the things I recommended.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:31 PM

34 posts, read 41,037 times
All,

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like Knoebels is our best bet overall. We spent the day there a couple of years ago, and had a great time.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:55 AM

325 posts, read 368,797 times
Yeah, Knoebels is the Wal-Mart of amusement parks. Free parking, low prices for rides, and cheap food. Just a heads-up: if your kids aren’t used to seeing people smoke, be covered in tattoos, or see billboards promoting guns on the way there, it may be a bit of a culture shock for them.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:47 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,183,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briantroutman View Post

Another possible side trip near Williamsport is Reptiland on US 15. It’s a fairly small zoo (though AZA accredited) focused on reptiles. I was there once as a young child (another classmate’s birthday party) but don’t recall much about it. By external appearances, it has expanded considerably in the past couple of decades, and I know its founder/owner Clyde Peeling has international reputation.

I would not recommend Reptiland for very young children (5 and 8). There are very large venomous snakes behind glass and alligators and lizards and their appearance and proximity may frighten children. I was there once and once was enough for me.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:01 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
This is just off of 80 and a hidden gem that even a lot people from the area are not aware of, Bill's Bike Barn in Bloomsburg. You will be utterly amazed and that is no exaggeration. He's a collector of "items", everything from junk to some very high priced antique motorcycles. It's like a mini Smithsonian American History Museum. You could spend days there if you were interested in that type of stuff but expect 2 to 3 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgVWviYevAU

Something that might be good for another day trip, the Number. 9 mine tour. They take you into the mine. Between the tour and the museum you could probably expect to spend 2 to 3 hours there.

https://no9minemuseum.wixsite.com/museum

Old 02-12-2019, 09:49 PM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Penn's Cave is a must see cave tour. Going through it by boat is an experience your kids will long remember. I also recommend the Ashland Pioneer coal mine tour. Centralia is worth a quick drive thru just to say you went through it. But as the other poster said, there's really nothing to see there.
In summer, Raymond B Winter is worth a stop for a quick dip in their swimming area. Its small and the water is cold and the ride through Brush Valley from Centre Hall to Lewisburg long 92 is very scenic. There's also a small nature exhibit in a cabin that is open some days in RBW.
Cabela's in Hamburg has a huge wildlife taxidermy exhibit and indoor aquarium and is mecca for outdoor enthusiasts. Just north of it is Hawk Mountain which has a good bird of prey migration exhibit. And if its still open, Roadside America in Shartlesville was a premier indoor model railroad village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania