Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 10:44 PM

968 posts, read 1,140,083 times

Advertisements

I was stopped in Sussex, Virginia today, by a State Trooper, for doing 84 mph in a 70 mph zone. I received a summons mandating I appear in court without stating any traffic fines, and that doing anything over 80 mph in Virgnia is considered reckless driving there.

I have some evidence that PA will not assess points to my license or driving record for speeding charges in Virginia, but the ticket is for Reckless Driving 46.2.862.

Reckless Driving is one of the serious offenses PennDOT may suspend one's license for. Is this worth fighting? Do I run the risk of a suspended license? Reckless Driving in Virginia is considered a class 1 misdemeanor. What can I do here? I'm fine going down there on that day to pay the fines if my license is not affected. It looks like PennDOT wouldn't suspend me for speeding out of state, but for reckless driving out of state.

I found this, but not sure if this is correct or just a law firm.

https://www.cnrlawyers.com/effect-wi...river-license/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 08:46 PM

377 posts, read 666,979 times
If it was me, I'd definitely PAY (thru the nose likely) a VA attorney to get the charge reduced to simple speeding and pay the fine, through that firm. If you do, make certain that you have documented proof from the VA DMV, via the lawyer, that the original charge has been expunged AND that only the simple speeding violation was reported to PA - if at all.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:19 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,279 times
Thank you for the info. I’ll be driving through VA soon, and I’ll make sure to keep it at a solid 79. This sounds like a headache. Best wishes.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:03 PM

I just spoke to a lawyer who said I do not need to be there and that with a clean driving record - which I do have - they will most likely reduce it to operating defective equipment. I have little experience in this. When someone says a lawyer will represent you, does that usually mean they will go there in place of you or just with you?

Old 05-23-2019, 05:36 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
I cannot help you with the exception of warning you about VA radar traps. I was a truck driver and I have seen many motorist pulled over in VA. The VA State Police love to sit on their interstate entrance ramps and shoot motorist as they pass by. I have witness speeding crackdowns with more radar traps than many states combined. They also have a rule where they will cite motorist for going over 45 mph with their four way flashers on (they figure if you need your four ways on you should not go over forty five). Do not use a radar detector; they have detectors to detect detectors. They will rip a vehicle to shreds to find a detector. Use public restrooms because they will even collect samples for DNA testing and the fines are high.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I cannot help you with the exception of warning you about VA radar traps. I was a truck driver and I have seen many motorist pulled over in VA. The VA State Police love to sit on their interstate entrance ramps and shoot motorist as they pass by. I have witness speeding crackdowns with more radar traps than many states combined. They also have a rule where they will cite motorist for going over 45 mph with their four way flashers on (they figure if you need your four ways on you should not go over forty five). Do not use a radar detector; they have detectors to detect detectors. They will rip a vehicle to shreds to find a detector. Use public restrooms because they will even collect samples for DNA testing and the fines are high.
Good to know. I don't have a radar detector, I just use the Waze App. I didn't have it on at the time because my phone was dying and I had my charger in my own car, I was driving a company vehicle.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
Good to know. I don't have a radar detector, I just use the Waze App. I didn't have it on at the time because my phone was dying and I had my charger in my own car, I was driving a company vehicle.
On one trip down the 324 miles of I-81 through VA I witnessed one woman pulled over three different times. She got one ticket and proceeded to fly by me and then get another one and then she did it again.

One particular Friday before the Fourth of July; VA had so many speed traps that it looked like they had one almost every mile. They gave radar units to law enforcement agencies other than the normal State Police. I only saw it the one time and maybe it was just a trial?

On many of their Interstate roads in Western VA they have entrance ramps, that hide the radar units, until after you drive through them (they will shoot the tail of your vehicle).

I'm just saying to be careful down there. I did enjoy the trip down through the Shenandoah Valley because of the scenery. Just take your time!

Old 05-24-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
On one trip down the 324 miles of I-81 through VA I witnessed one woman pulled over three different times. She got one ticket and proceeded to fly by me and then get another one and then she did it again.

One particular Friday before the Fourth of July; VA had so many speed traps that it looked like they had one almost every mile. They gave radar units to law enforcement agencies other than the normal State Police. I only saw it the one time and maybe it was just a trial?

On many of their Interstate roads in Western VA they have entrance ramps, that hide the radar units, until after you drive through them (they will shoot the tail of your vehicle).

I'm just saying to be careful down there. I did enjoy the trip down through the Shenandoah Valley because of the scenery. Just take your time!
That's nuts.

I know the 81 corridor very well. I inventory all the Pilot and Flying J truck stops along it, all the way down to Wytheville and Ft. Chiswell. This is what I was doing down there in the first place. I was coming home from one of the Pilots off of 95.

Old 05-26-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
That's nuts.

I know the 81 corridor very well. I inventory all the Pilot and Flying J truck stops along it, all the way down to Wytheville and Ft. Chiswell. This is what I was doing down there in the first place. I was coming home from one of the Pilots off of 95.
For a while I ran three trips a week to Orlando out of Carlisle PA with a sleeper team. That was back in the 1990's; so things could have changed considerably.

There was a time, after those years; that VA would fine their own residents $3,000 for any speeding ticket of 10 mph over the limit. They did not fine out-of-state vehicles as much: https://www.thrillist.com/cars/the-m...g-tickets-ever. I heard that they dropped that policy since then.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:33 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
Quote:
Radar detectors are illegal in Virginia anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania