Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 05:47 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times

Advertisements

They`ve legalized the use of hand held cellphones shortly after legalizing speeding through a construction zone. What`s wrong with these people?
11 mph over the posted speed limit will net you a warning. What`s the point of reducing the speed in the first place?
https://www.wtae.com/article/pa-lawm...zones/23654783

Talking on your cell phone is okay as long as your turn signals work.

https://www.drivinglaws.org/resource...hone-laws.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 07:44 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Um, no on the first part; state troopers have long allowed a 10 mph margin of error over posted speed limits - this bill marks no change in that policy. Instead, it promises stricter enforcement of work zone speed limits, because the speed cameras will photograph your license plate and issue a ticket. It's not unusual for some sort of grace period - like the warning rather than a ticket for the first violation - to be implemented along with a stepped-up enforcement regime.

It also looks like that provision of the state's "distracted driving" law isn't a recent change either. The ban on texting while driving was added to the distracted-driving section of the state motor vehicle code in 2011. Title 75 of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes (the vehicle code) contains no prohibition on using phones (handsfree or handheld) for voice calls at all, and there's no record in the legislative history of the code of any such prohibition having been removed or struck down by the courts.

Old 01-19-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Um, no on the first part; state troopers have long allowed a 10 mph margin of error over posted speed limits - this bill marks no change in that policy. Instead, it promises stricter enforcement of work zone speed limits, because the speed cameras will photograph your license plate and issue a ticket. It's not unusual for some sort of grace period - like the warning rather than a ticket for the first violation - to be implemented along with a stepped-up enforcement regime.

It also looks like that provision of the state's "distracted driving" law isn't a recent change either. The ban on texting while driving was added to the distracted-driving section of the state motor vehicle code in 2011. Title 75 of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes (the vehicle code) contains no prohibition on using phones (handsfree or handheld) for voice calls at all, and there's no record in the legislative history of the code of any such prohibition having been removed or struck down by the courts.
A warning for 11mph over the construction zone speed limit? Why bother at all?
The history of irresponsible legislation doesn`t interest me at all. It`s way past time for a change on cell phone use while driving.

Old 01-19-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
A warning for 11mph over the construction zone speed limit? Why bother at all?
The history of irresponsible legislation doesn`t interest me at all. It`s way past time for a change on cell phone use while driving.
1) To remind the motorist that they are being watched. Do it again, and it's a ticket and points. And with cameras doing the patrolling, the odds of catching a motorist doing it again rise. That's "why bother."

2) I wouldn't disagree with you on changing the law to require hands-free devices for voice calling while driving. I just wanted to point out that contrary to what you seemed to imply, this wasn't some recent change in the law.

Old 01-20-2020, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

You`re on shaky ground with your assertion that the state troopers have long allowed a 10mph margin of error over posted speed limits. When I see a 55mph speed limit it is perfectly clear to me that 65 mph is prohibited and it`s usually for a good reason.

https://www.philadelphiacriminalatto...peed-6-10-mph/

Old 01-20-2020, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
You`re on shaky ground with your assertion that the state troopers have long allowed a 10mph margin of error over posted speed limits. When I see a 55mph speed limit it is perfectly clear to me that 65 mph is prohibited and it`s usually for a good reason.

https://www.philadelphiacriminalatto...peed-6-10-mph/
From the document:

Quote:
Depending on the device used to calculate your speed, you can be convicted of speeding only if you are driving 6 or more miles over the speed limit.

However if the police calculated your speed using a VASCAR device, and you were driving in a 55 MPH or under zone, you need to have been going 10 MPH over the speed limit to be convicted.
(emphasis added)

Speed limits in work zones are usually 40 MPH. And most urban freeways in this state have speed limits of 50 or 55 mph.

I'm pretty sure that the speed cameras use radar to determine speed also.

Old 01-20-2020, 01:28 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Fatalities and severe injuries rise as speed increases but what causes accidents is the disruption to the flow of traffic. They need to target tailgaters, people passing on the right, texting(and other distractions) and most importantly people pitching a tent in left lane. Eliminate the disruptions and you eliminate the accidents.

Old 01-22-2020, 05:20 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Fatalities and severe injuries rise as speed increases but what causes accidents is the disruption to the flow of traffic. They need to target tailgaters, people passing on the right, texting(and other distractions) and most importantly people pitching a tent in left lane. Eliminate the disruptions and you eliminate the accidents.
More importantly we need to target construction work in PA. Close to my house I see some sections of roads that were just worked on last summer. Already, potholes are breaking out and it is not even the Spring thaw. Now on my township roads, close to my house, our township replaced the culverts the year before. They then hired a contractor last year that did a great job laying new asphalt. I do not see any problems so far and that is how it should be.

Highway work is dangerous work; but it is more dangerous for the motorist than it is for the highway workers. Granted that they have a dangerous job; but only one in ten fatalities, that happen in a work zone, happens to a pedestrian. Motorist account for nine out of the ten fatalities. Of course some of those motorist fatalities are highway workers; but the vast majority are us. Anytime you bring traffic to a stop you take a chance of killing somebody.

There are ways to stop this mayhem. The best idea is to do the highway work so it is not workfare and the repairs last many years. That way we do not sacrifice highway workers or motorist - both sides can lead long lives. We need planners and managers that recognize all the problems. We need strategies that get the contractors out there and get the work done, and get the heck out the way. Many years ago on a federal (NHTSA) website they had recommendations on how to accomplish just what I am talking about. One suggestion was to have contractors warranty their work; that way they have a vested interest in the quality of their work. Another suggestion was to rent the roads to the contractors; that way when they bid a job, they know that the quicker they got the job done, the more money they make. Another suggestion was to bond our contractors and hold them accountable.

Many states have higher speed limits for motorist in construction work zones. I always felt safer and saw fewer accidents when I drove in those other states. It is all about the design of the work zone and keeping the traffic flowing. When I look at some of the stupid things we do I have to ask if any of them have any planning or management skill. Many times on I-80 as motorist come down the hill from I-380 our crews will stop traffic or slow it down to one lane. That is a ticking time bomb because trucks have problems stopping when their brakes are hot. I have seen them in past years work on pothole patching on one day and highway cleanup on another day - like they cannot plan to do both jobs together and get out the way! But they should not even be out there repairing potholes every year. Many of these roads have already exceeded their expected lifespans and are long overdue to be replaced. You cannot cover broken concrete with a thin layer of asphalt and expect it to last a long time - it unusually needs replacement after the Spring thaw.

We need change in our DOT and how we approach these problems. We also have to hold our contractors to a higher standard.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:46 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Fatalities and severe injuries rise as speed increases
Incorrect. Traffic accidents decreased when the 55mph speed limit was abolished in the mid-1990s.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:14 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Incorrect. Traffic accidents decreased when the 55mph speed limit was abolished in the mid-1990s.
This is what a state does when it is concerned about work zone safety and the safety of both its workers and the public: Strategies to Reduce Traffic Delays in Work Zones. They develop plans to reduce traffic delays because they know what happens when they slow traffic down - we haven't learned that lesson.

I think, although thecoalman can speak for himself, that you both are saying the same thing. I think he is simply pointing out the fact that if you have an accident at a higher speed the odds of you surviving diminish. But, you are less likely to have an accident if the traffic is not impaired and distracted drivers are weeded out. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong Coalman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania