Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 05:57 AM

4,279 posts, read 5,937,011 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will become first time Grandparents between now and May 8th. We live in Michigan and the baby will be born in Pittsburgh, meaning we need to comply with three State's travel restrictions; MI, OH, and PA.

What are the current PA Travel Restrictions? What is their current expiration date? We will be using the Toll Road.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 07:57 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
You should be fine. I had a friend drive from Philadelphia to Chicago a week ago.

I would recommend driving over flying if the drive can be done in a day, just to avoid additional interactions.

The big problems are if you have NY or NJ plates, those states are red flags.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:02 AM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
You should be fine. I had a friend drive from Philadelphia to Chicago a week ago.

I would recommend driving over flying if the drive can be done in a day, just to avoid additional interactions.

The big problems are if you have NY or NJ plates, those states are red flags.
By that last sentence I assume you mean that State Police are more likely to pull drivers from those states over for questioning about the nature of their travel.

Pennsylvania is not one of the four states that have implemented a ban on travel into the state from outside it.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:53 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
By that last sentence I assume you mean that State Police are more likely to pull drivers from those states over for questioning about the nature of their travel.

Pennsylvania is not one of the four states that have implemented a ban on travel into the state from outside it.
Yes. I know Rhode Island and Florida are on the lookout for New York plates.

But driving from Michigan to Pennsylvania should be easy.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:23 AM

4,279 posts, read 5,937,011 times
Thanks everyone!

We need to stay legal AND healthy!

Old 04-11-2020, 11:50 AM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Yes. I know Rhode Island and Florida are on the lookout for New York plates.

But driving from Michigan to Pennsylvania should be easy.
I understand Texas also screens out-of-state motorists entering the state, and Delaware will let you pass through on I-95, but get off of that highway or its feeders (I-295 and I-495) and no matter what state issued your license plate, you will be asked to leave or self-quarantine for 14 days if you are not traveling to visit a specific relative or friend in need of care living in Delaware.

Pennsylvania is doing no such blanket screening.

Old 04-11-2020, 12:37 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
No, PA isn't, and both NY and NJ aren't stopping PA cars from going there. Husband and his friend crossed both those borders in the past week with PA plates.

Old 04-11-2020, 01:35 PM

273 posts, read 318,066 times
As has been observed, Pennsylvania does not currently have any statewide ban on travel. But I think you should be aware of what restrictions and advisories are in place.

Effective April 1st, our governor issued a statewide stay-at-home order. Many counties within the state had already been under individual stay-at-home orders, including Allegheny County, where Pittsburgh is located. Under the order, all residents are required to stay at home, except to:
  • go to work in a life-sustaining business
  • engage in necessary life sustaining activies (buy groceries/medicines, seek medical help, etc.)
  • exercise outdoors while maintaining distance from others
Additionally, Pennsylvanians are being asked to wear a mask when they leave their homes—which again, should be limited to the cases listed above.

The current order is set to expire at the end of April, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s extended. It will be easy enough for you to monitor Pennsylvania’s current restrictions on the Department of Health’s coronavirus website. Let’s assume the current restrictions are still in place when you plan to travel.

I’m not an attorney, but my reading of the order suggests that it applies to Pennsylvania residents—so being an out-of-stater, you may not face any tangible penalty for violating the spirit of the order. But bear this in mind: With Passover and Easter celebrations looming over the past few weeks, Governor Wolf and PA Department of Health Secretary Levine have repeatedly fielded questions regarding discretionary travel—and specifically visiting family. Both the governor and secretary have implored Pennsylvanians not to travel, even to visit family...even though not traveling would disrupt religious and family rituals and traditions. In fact, in a parallel to your situation, Governor Wolf has mentioned his own personal anguish over a newborn grandchild that he cannot hold again until the pandemic has passed.

I would follow Governor Wolf’s example. You may be completely asymptomatic but unknowingly carrying the virus—then pass it on to one of the newborn’s parents. (Or vice versa, which is arguably more likely.) Dealing with 3 a.m. feedings, colic fits, and exploding diapers is stressful enough. I can’t imagine handling all of that newborn madness plus COVID-19.

For what it’s worth: Both my family and my wife’s family were a thousand miles away when our daughter—our first and only—was born a few years ago. Even without a public heath crisis hampering travel, it was still a number of weeks before either of our parents traveled to visit us and see and hold their new grandchild. We made it though just fine, and so did they.

Last edited by briantroutman; 04-11-2020 at 01:51 PM..

Old 04-11-2020, 02:00 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
My wife and I will become first time Grandparents between now and May 8th. We live in Michigan and the baby will be born in Pittsburgh, meaning we need to comply with three State's travel restrictions; MI, OH, and PA.

What are the current PA Travel Restrictions? What is their current expiration date? We will be using the Toll Road.

Thanks,
If I were you, I would call the DOT in each state and ask them about your plan.

Good luck, and congrats

Old 04-11-2020, 02:09 PM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
might want to call the hospital too, just to see if they'll let visitors in especially the maternity ward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania