Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 01:05 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
The last Pandemic was in 2009, not 100 years ago.Where were the masks and lock downs then? Obama declared that a National Health Emergency. Every year during Flu Season we have heard that the "Big One" is coming. Push for Universal Flu Vaccine.
also one in 1969

https://nypost.com/2020/05/16/why-li...demic-of-1969/

Quote:
Hong Kong flu

The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that in total, the virus killed one million people worldwide,[14] from its beginning in July 1968 until the outbreak faded during the winter of 1969-70.[15] The CDC estimated that about 100,000 people died in the U.S; most excess deaths were in those 65 and older.[14] However, fewer people died during this pandemic than in previous pandemics for several reasons:[14]

Some immunity against the N2 flu virus may have been retained in populations struck by the Asian Flu strains which had been circulating since 1957;
The pandemic did not gain momentum until near the winter school holidays, thus limiting the infection spreading;
Improved medical care gave vital support to the very ill;
The availability of antibiotics that were more effective against secondary bacterial infections.
For this pandemic, there were two geographically distinct mortality patterns. In North America (the United States and Canada), the first pandemic season (1968/69) was more severe than the second (1969/70). In the “smoldering” pattern seen in Europe and Asia (England, France, Japan, and Australia), the second pandemic season was two to five times more severe than the first.[16]

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-19-2020 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: added quote indicators
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 06:21 AM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Yes, I lived through, and had, those two other Flu Pandemics. Very sickly kid and missed a lot of school.

Well remember the 1968 Pandemic. Working and living alone. Could not get out of bed and my Mom came to stay with me. Different attitude in those times. People weren't so terrified of getting sick. Mom wasn't and she never caught that flu from me. Some coworkers went to Woodstock, but I did not go with them. Maybe they spread that flu around the office? Article mentions a vaccine developed right after. Really? First time I ever heard of a Flu Shot was in 1976 when President Ford was on TV rolling up his sleeve.

I mentioned 2009 Pandemic specifically because everyone here on CD would have lived through that one. Yet, a lot of people did not know there was a Pandemic then because there was no big deal made of it.

Example? I was working in a Public Elementary School in Florida. So many of the kids, and younger Teachers, were all out sick, but the school was not shut down. We were joking it looked more like a Senior Center (over age 50) than a school. Might be something to it that those of us alive back in the 50's and 60's probably had some immunity from those other Pandemics.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:36 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
My understanding about the 2009 pandemic is that older Americans had immunity from it having been exposed to the one in 1968.
Quote:
The virus in the 2009 pandemic is considered to be quite different from the typical H1N1 viruses that were circulating at the time. Dubbed (H1N1)pdm09, very few young people had existing immunity to it, but about one-third of people over 60 years of age had antibodies against it, probably from exposure to other, older H1N1 viruses at some time in their lives.
https://www.biospace.com/article/200...irus-pandemic/

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:29 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
My understanding about the 2009 pandemic is that older Americans had immunity from it having been exposed to the one in 1968. https://www.biospace.com/article/200...irus-pandemic/
Yes, I believe the 2009 H1N1 flu was no more deadly than the seasonal flu unlike what we have now and generally doesn't take weeks to get better from like this.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:23 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Yes, I believe the 2009 H1N1 flu was no more deadly than the seasonal flu unlike what we have now and generally doesn't take weeks to get better from like this.
12,500 Americans died from H1N1.

We'll soon be hitting 100,000 American deaths from COVID-19.

For a "Democratic hoax" I'm very impressed!

Old 05-18-2020, 02:26 PM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Well, all I can say at age 71, I have lived through Polio, Measles, Rubella, Mumps, Chicken Pox, and countless Flu Epidemics/Pandemics. Made my peace with dying from SOMETHING when I turned 50. Icing on cake for me, although I can understand younger generations being terrified. I do have children and grandkids. No, at my age I do not expect (100 with one year grandson?) to live to see my grandkids reach adulthood, nor do I want to being in some Nursing Home or Hospital hooked to all sorts of machines. For ME, that isn't LIVING. Rather be dead. I have this all spelled out in my Advanced Directive.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:02 PM

208 posts, read 113,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Deaths from or deaths with? Colorado just reduced their Covid deaths by about a quarter because people who died of something else but had Covid were all recorded as having died of Covid. It does not help that the feds give an extra payment to any hospital for each Covid death. The incentive is obvious.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:03 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
So your plan is basically profits over people. Great idea, lets assemble the death panels and get the economy rocking.

Trying to turn this into people vs the big bad companies is a naive view of things. The bottom lines of business's, the people that work for them and governments at all levels they pay taxes to are being affected by this. When business's do not make money, no one is making money. There needs to be balance, if the economy continues to decline the consequences of that can be worse than the virus.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:19 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,258,336 times
Default Covid and optical services Sam's Club, Walmarts

I just wonder when opticians will start doing business again in places like Sam's Club or Walmart in southwestern PA area -- they say they'll fix glasses, but no exams. Any idea, anybody? These places started taking returns, doctors are seeing patients, but no optical services at Sam's Club or Walmart so far.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:02 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
12,500 Americans died from H1N1.

For a "Democratic hoax" I'm very impressed!
Well, I won't be ... unless and until respected authorities provide a summary showing how many of those deaths also involved a serious pre-existing condition.

Figures don't lie ... but liars can figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania