Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 07:10 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Z-B View Post
Yet another deplorable right wing nut job thread.
Giving up without a fight? Come on, you must have something to say besides name-calling!

Old 03-25-2021, 10:45 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
I suspect most will get re-elected anyway.
Wolf won't; he's term-limited. You have nothing to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
These five governors put a hazardous biological virus where it could kill vulnerable people.
The virus was already there. Where do you think the residents got it from in the first place? It's not like they were going out and coming in contact with infected people. They came in contact with infected people in the nursing home.

Which is not saying that nursing home residents recovering from Covid shouldn't have been recovering in a specific Covid-only nursing home environment whenever possible. But saying that returning residents to their nursing homes "put a hazardous biological virus where it could kill" is disingenuous at best.

Old 03-25-2021, 11:14 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
You have already answered all of your own questions.

NYC, or more properly President You-Know-Who's Administration sent the USNS Comfort as well as commanding the Army to set up the Javits Center as a temporary hospital. A private fundamentalist Christian organization set up the hospital in Central Park.

They all closed by May 2020.

Why didn't Cuomo send patients to those facilities? That's what they were there for. Instead he sent them back to nursing homes to infect and kill others. Andrew Cuomo got tons of campaign donations from the health care industry and they commanded him to avoid using those facilities because they couldn't bill for patients there. Furthermore, patients in brick and mortar hospitals on Medicare and Medicaid were costing the hospitals money and they wanted them out.

You know, just because you support Cuomo's and Wolf's political agendas, does not mean you have to put yourself in the position of defending every single one of their actions. Especially when nothing is going to happen to them anyway.
So Wolf should send the elderly nursing home patients to a ship in NYC? If he had, you’d be bitching about taxpayer cost to send them and the ambulances there.

Also, who would give care to these patients?

You didn’t answer my question and seem lost here.

Old 03-25-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
This information was known even before Italy, the data from China at the beginning told us this. This should not be an election issue, it should be and issue of criminal and civil liability. These five governors put a hazardous biological virus where it could kill vulnerable people.
You are a blame the middle manager, when the CEO knew what was going on type of guy. Lol

Old 03-25-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
So Wolf should send the elderly nursing home patients to a ship in NYC? If he had, you’d be bitching about taxpayer cost to send them and the ambulances there.

Also, who would give care to these patients?

You didn’t answer my question and seem lost here.
Hey, you brought up the USNS hospital ship and NYC, not me.

As for Wolf, he saw what Cuomo was doing and that he was winning praise and Emmy's for it, so he did the same. The hospitals in PA were not bulging the way they were in downstate New York but Wolf took the easy way out and sent infected patients into nursing homes. Oh, and Dr. Rachel Levine knew what the result would be, so she took her own mother out of a nursing home.

As I said in my first post, nothing will happen to Wolf or even Cuomo for their disastrous handling of the nursing home situation. The only consolation we have is that Cuomo will probably never be elected President now that this has all come to light.

Old 03-25-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Hey, you brought up the USNS hospital ship and NYC, not me.

As for Wolf, he saw what Cuomo was doing and that he was winning praise and Emmy's for it, so he did the same. The hospitals in PA were not bulging the way they were in downstate New York but Wolf took the easy way out and sent infected patients into nursing homes. Oh, and Dr. Rachel Levine knew what the result would be, so she took her own mother out of a nursing home.

As I said in my first post, nothing will happen to Wolf or even Cuomo for their disastrous handling of the nursing home situation. The only consolation we have is that Cuomo will probably never be elected President now that this has all come to light.
You are a typical GOP'er - don't answer the question asked. What should Wolf have done 1 year ago, with what we knew then?

I can guess that your answer is left them in the Hospital if and until the number of new COVID patients stressed the system. If so, who pays? Private insurance? Tax payers? Hospitals? Who takes care of this huge population of nursing home patients?

As for Dr. Levine, maybe she gave a **** about her mother and took her in, while others were less fortunate.

Old 03-25-2021, 03:26 PM

Quote:
... who pays? Private insurance? Tax payers? Hospitals? Who takes care of this huge population of nursing home patients?

Well, I guess we don't have to worry about who pays for the surplus population of elderly now. They've been cleared off the books. You lefties are getting more and more like libertarians every day. The left used to champion the vulnerable.

What should Wolf have done? Anything but send infected patients into nursing homes. It's not like he thought they'd be OK. Was he afraid of stressing the hospital system? How about asking for some of that federal and Fundamentalist help that NYC got? What, is Philly chopped liver?

Wealthy Dr. Levine acted on insider information before the fact. And as you correctly state, everyone else was "less fortunate".

Last edited by jtab4994; 03-25-2021 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: Included quote

Old 03-25-2021, 03:48 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,718 times
Rather than sending covid positive patients to be in near contact with very sick but covid free patients, the covid free patients could have been consolidated in covid free facilities, and recovering / recovered patients consolidated in covid recovery nursing homes.

Please, don't even try to make any arguments about cost. The government printed trillions of dollars. Shutting down the economy cost trillions more. Moving nursing home patients around would be less than a pittance compared to what was actually done. Money arguments to justify what was done are not serious.

And what we knew then is what we know today. It was crystal clear from the outset covid overwhelming affects very ill people. See my post that I quoted up thread from June 2020. There are no valid excuses about "not knowing back then."

Too bad Dr Levine didn't have the same concern for other people's parents she had for her own. I guess that's too much to ask from a DOCTOR, and the head of the state health department. Not part of the job description to be concerned about other people. When the going gets tough it's every person for themselves, according to the good doctor.

I will never understand people who try to defend the indefensible, every rationalization just makes it look even worse.

Last edited by jdhpa; 03-25-2021 at 03:58 PM..

Old 03-25-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Rather than sending covid positive patients to be in near contact with very sick but covid free patients, the covid free patients could have been consolidated in covid free facilities, and recovering / recovered patients consolidated in covid recovery nursing homes.

Please, don't even try to make any arguments about cost. The government printed trillions of dollars. Shutting down the economy cost trillions more. Moving nursing home patients around would be less than a pittance compared to what was actually done. Money arguments to justify what was done are not serious.

And what we knew then is what we know today. It was crystal clear from the outset covid overwhelming affects very ill people. See my post that I quoted up thread from June 2020. There are no valid excuses about "not knowing back then."

Too bad Dr Levine didn't have the same concern for other people's parents she had for her own. I guess that's too much to ask from a DOCTOR, and the head of the state health department. Not part of the job description to be concerned about other people. When the going gets tough it's every person for themselves, according to the good doctor.

I will never understand people who try to defend the indefensible, every rationalization just makes it look even worse.
You would then argue about how much it cost.

How do you consolidate a bunch of private nursing homes?

The problem is that you don’t understand the complexities of the situation and again, hindsight is 20/20.

When Wolfe told the nursing homes to take back the covid positive patients, everybody was scared that the ERs, ventilators, staff... would be overwhelmed. They needed the space and needed the hospital staff to care for the predicted influx of covid patients.

Again, maybe with any help or direction from Trump and this could have been avoided. It’s like blaming the Cowboys coach for them being bad. It’s not him, it’s the boss (Jerry).

Old 03-25-2021, 04:45 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,718 times
Quote:
You would then argue about how much it cost.

How do you consolidate a bunch of private nursing homes?

The problem is that you don’t understand the complexities of the situation and again, hindsight is 20/20.

When Wolfe told the nursing homes to take back the covid positive patients, everybody was scared that the ERs, ventilators, staff... would be overwhelmed. They needed the space and needed the hospital staff to care for the predicted influx of covid patients.

Again, maybe with any help or direction from Trump and this could have been avoided. It’s like blaming the Cowboys coach for them being bad. It’s not him, it’s the boss (Jerry).
So you would let people die so others won't argue about cost. That's what you're saying. Are you serious? You're going to make that argument, that the governor let people die so no one would argue with him about cost?

How do you move any patients? Normally with an ambulance. Would they be busy? Sure. Is busy better than letting people die? Well, I think it is. But that's just me.

Hand wringing about "complexities" is just another way of saying you have no answer. If a governor is incapable of solving complex problems maybe he's not the right person to be governor. And no, what he did was not a solution.

There is no hindsight, read my post quoted above from June 2020. The situation was well understood from the outset. No excuses about "not knowing back then" are serious or valid, just another way of saying you have no answer.

Moving recovering patients to covid recovery facilities clears out just as much hospital space as moving them in with sick but covid free patients. You have no argument there. And if the governor was making decisions out of fear rather than basing them on facts and reality, that's just another way of acknowledging he's incompetent.

And of course you have to find a way to blame trump. So with that, you're saying the governor is too incompetent to know sending covid positive patients to be in near contact with sick but covid free patients is a bad idea. I knew it was a bad idea, as is evidenced from my quoted post above as it was happening, but the governor didn't know that. Again, with this statement you're just acknowledging the governor is incompetent. He needed the president to tell him, because the president is smart enough to figure this out, but governors are just too stupid. That is basically what you're saying. This is what defending the indefensible leads to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania