Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2022, 01:11 PM

24 posts, read 39,875 times

Advertisements

I apologize in advance if this would be more appropriate in the Pittsburgh section, but given that the populated part of Indiana County is 60+ minutes away from Pittsburgh, I wasn't sure.

I'm exploring Indiana County as a possible place to settle once I manage to uproot myself from Baltimore. I was already exploring rural eastern Ohio and WV as possibilities and Indiana popped onto my radar while researching family history. We are apparently from there and I have a strong familial link to Judge Thomas White, whom White Township is named after. At any rate, the family connection to the area popped it onto my radar and I do enjoy the vibe of the area. I'll be visiting a few more times at least, as I still have more research to do at the historical society. I'm posting because I'm curious as to the state of the job market there.

I've done as much research as I'm capable of on my own, and here is what I've found. Please correct me if any of this is inaccurate. Being an energy-dependent economy (natural gas), things have been in a bit of a downturn for quite some time. The town population has shrunk and the university in town seems to be one of the stabilizing economic factors, though enrollment at the university is on a downward trend. Some of the larger employers in the area are the financial sector, some manufacturing (?), and of course the university. Real estate and rent are pretty affordable due to the declining population, though they seem to be rising this year (as everything is).

Here is really what I want to know, and this is information I cannot seem to find: given the job availability in the area, the locals cannot possibly all work in the area, correct? Is Indiana a bedroom community and if so, where do people commute to find work? Pittsburgh seems so far away to me, though that could be my perspective living in a large city for so long.

Some additional information, in case anybody has additional insight. I'm drawn to this area because I want to move to a rural area. I'm a 31 year old straight, single man with a background in libraries and government work (a background I understand will need some diversification if I move to a rural area). Starting my own business or even a restaurant is in the cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 06:29 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie90 View Post
I apologize in advance if this would be more appropriate in the Pittsburgh section, but given that the populated part of Indiana County is 60+ minutes away from Pittsburgh, I wasn't sure.

I'm exploring Indiana County as a possible place to settle once I manage to uproot myself from Baltimore. I was already exploring rural eastern Ohio and WV as possibilities and Indiana popped onto my radar while researching family history. We are apparently from there and I have a strong familial link to Judge Thomas White, whom White Township is named after. At any rate, the family connection to the area popped it onto my radar and I do enjoy the vibe of the area. I'll be visiting a few more times at least, as I still have more research to do at the historical society. I'm posting because I'm curious as to the state of the job market there.

I've done as much research as I'm capable of on my own, and here is what I've found. Please correct me if any of this is inaccurate. Being an energy-dependent economy (natural gas), things have been in a bit of a downturn for quite some time. The town population has shrunk and the university in town seems to be one of the stabilizing economic factors, though enrollment at the university is on a downward trend. Some of the larger employers in the area are the financial sector, some manufacturing (?), and of course the university. Real estate and rent are pretty affordable due to the declining population, though they seem to be rising this year (as everything is).

Here is really what I want to know, and this is information I cannot seem to find: given the job availability in the area, the locals cannot possibly all work in the area, correct? Is Indiana a bedroom community and if so, where do people commute to find work? Pittsburgh seems so far away to me, though that could be my perspective living in a large city for so long.

Some additional information, in case anybody has additional insight. I'm drawn to this area because I want to move to a rural area. I'm a 31 year old straight, single man with a background in libraries and government work (a background I understand will need some diversification if I move to a rural area). Starting my own business or even a restaurant is in the cards.
Yes, there are many people in Indiana County who work in Westmoreland and Allegheny Counties. There are a few who work in Cambria County, but the economy is not too good in that area.

The job sector you missed is healthcare. Indiana Hospital and Diamond Drugs are two of the top four employers in the county. There is little manufacturing left in the county with Specialty Tires of America being the largest manufacturing company and ranked the #11 employer in the county. The two banks headquartered in Indiana are the #6 and #8 largest employers in the county.

Old 01-31-2022, 08:22 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,177,484 times
Have you investigated the Williamsport, PA area? Plenty of rural areas to the south and north of the city. Williamsport is home to the Brodart Company, one of the largest library suppliers in the USA.

Brodart Company - Unparalleled in service and selection since 1939
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania