Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 09:55 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I am surprised that according to recent polling that Fetterman, who is left of Shapiro, has a wider lead over Oz, who is left of Mastriano, than Shapiro has over Mastriano.

So people in this state are simultaneously supporting a far-left U.S. senator and a far-right governor? Why not support the moderate Democrat for governor and the center-right candidate for U.S. Senate?

Has PA really become this polarized?
That is not the conclusion I would draw. Shapiro is +3 in the last two polls. Fetterman is +4 and +6 in the last two polls.

Old 07-08-2022, 04:03 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
That is not the conclusion I would draw. Shapiro is +3 in the last two polls. Fetterman is +4 and +6 in the last two polls.
That +3 is likely in the margin of error while the Fetterman numbers are just outside it I'm thinking.

An observation-Fetterman comes across as more "real", Shapiro (and Oz for that matter), not so much.

Old 07-08-2022, 04:33 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,452,558 times
Quote:
I am surprised that according to recent polling that Fetterman, who is left of Shapiro, has a wider lead over Oz, who is left of Mastriano, than Shapiro has over Mastriano.

So people in this state are simultaneously supporting a far-left U.S. senator and a far-right governor? Why not support the moderate Democrat for governor and the center-right candidate for U.S. Senate?

Probably because most voters approach candidates with more nuance than simply how far left or right someone is. Fetterman does a great job with messaging his support for every day, working class Pennsylvanians. He's from here, and he has a history of integrity working in Pennsylvanian politics. Compare that to an opportunistic, disingenuous celebrity from New Jersey, and you've got your answer.

I think Fetterman's relative strength will be in areas like Pittsburgh and Scranton, where blue collar and union workers will disproportionately show out for him. I think Shapiro's relative strength will be in areas like Philadelphia's suburbs, where well educated women are scared to death by Mastriano's politics.

Old 07-08-2022, 05:08 AM

1,119 posts, read 517,338 times
Funny thing is, as much as the Libs and RINO’s in this state want to talk down on Doug and how he’s “too extreme”/“doesn’t stand a chance” - well, fivethirtyeight is calling the PA Governor race a toss-up.

The focus needs to be on the swing/on the fence voters and Doug’s campaign needs to focus especially on how much of a joke Wolf’s governorship was and how he should be in jail. And guess who was part of his cabinet? Wussy man Shapiro and fake tough guy Fetterman.

Old 07-08-2022, 05:22 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,452,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6T1R View Post
Funny thing is, as much as the Libs and RINO’s in this state want to talk down on Doug and how he’s “too extreme”/“doesn’t stand a chance” - well, fivethirtyeight is calling the PA Governor race a toss-up.

The focus needs to be on the swing/on the fence voters and Doug’s campaign needs to focus especially on how much of a joke Wolf’s governorship was and how he should be in jail. And guess who was part of his cabinet? Wussy man Shapiro and fake tough guy Fetterman.
I love how right-wing people still call people "the Libs." Like, you're a caricature of yourself.

Do you think Mastriano was well-meaning when, in a tweet, he swapped primary and general election data to purposely mislead people about the integrity of the 2020 election? Or was that just a lapse in judgement? Do you think the majority of Pennsylvanians agree with Mastriano's previous statements about supporting "pro-life" policies with no exceptions for rape and incest?

Mastriano can deflect and dodge the tough questions, but I will be reminding all of my family and friends in Pennsylvania about his track record throughout this campaign season.

Old 07-08-2022, 07:51 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Won’t matter. The lowlifes in Philly will steal it for Shapiro.
They don't have to steal it. Democrats still outnumber Republicans 7:2 in the city.

You just swallowed some Kool-Aid. Al Schmidt (the required minority-party member of the three City Commissioners, who oversee city elections; he and I are acquainted) confirmed that there was no massive fraud in the vote-counting in Philadelphia, both after the election and in testimony to the 1/6 Commission.

Old 07-08-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I love how right-wing people still call people "the Libs." Like, you're a caricature of yourself.

Do you think Mastriano was well-meaning when, in a tweet, he swapped primary and general election data to purposely mislead people about the integrity of the 2020 election? Or was that just a lapse in judgement? Do you think the majority of Pennsylvanians agree with Mastriano's previous statements about supporting "pro-life" policies with no exceptions for rape and incest?

Mastriano can deflect and dodge the tough questions, but I will be reminding all of my family and friends in Pennsylvania about his track record throughout this campaign season.
I'm doing likewise, especially with my Republican friends. Those who cannot bring themselves to vote for a Democrat I'm encouraging to blank the governor's race when they vote.

A sizable number of Republicans, and even more independents, did that in this state in the 2020 general. That, not fraud, is why Trump narrowly lost Pennsylvania despite improving on his 2016 performance; the total number of ballots cast also rose significantly.

Old 07-08-2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:

Have you seen those posts I've made in this forum where I talk about how Fetterman "speaks the language of the Forgotten"?

That's his secret sauce. Neither Shapiro nor Oz can mine that vein. Since Mastriano is channeling Trump, he can even if it's not his native tongue.

Edited to add: Muinteoir, forgive me for reastating your post above. Didn't read it before posting myself.

Old 07-08-2022, 08:02 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I guess for me I am just not as "excited" for Fetterman as most because I don't see how he did much, if anything, to make life better for the people of Braddock (struggling Pittsburgh suburb) while he was mayor there. I just expect more of the same if he becomes a U.S. Senator, which is why I voted for Conor Lamb, who flopped miserably because nobody outside of Western PA knew who he was.

Old 07-08-2022, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I guess for me I am just not as "excited" for Fetterman as most because I don't see how he did much, if anything, to make life better for the people of Braddock (struggling Pittsburgh suburb) while he was mayor there. I just expect more of the same if he becomes a U.S. Senator, which is why I voted for Conor Lamb, who flopped miserably because nobody outside of Western PA knew who he was.
Fine. Just don't vote for Dr. Oz because of that. Don't forget Trump endorsed him.

But I understand that Braddock did go four years without a murder after Fetterman took office. I do remember the tattoo he wears on his right arm — a star for each of the murders that occurred in Braddock (five, IIRC) the year he assumed the mayoralty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania