Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 08:11 AM

1,398 posts, read 915,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Actually he can choose his battles and the joke's on Pennsylvania if we think he can't.

Fetterman has "finally agreed" to a debate that's to occur on October 25. Election day is November 8. Oh, but wait -- early mail-in voting has already started! So if you like Fetterman's "buy American" populism and already sent in your ballot, that's done. If you think he comes off sounding like a nut or a guy that just had a serious stroke and isn't up to the job, in the late October debate, it will be too late to change your mind.
If you're really concerned about Fetterman's potentially diminished mental abilities due to the stroke, then don't vote before the debate. It's only if you don't care about it should you send in the ballot early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2022, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Please. There is nothing nuanced or intellectual about John "Veggie Tray" Fetterman.

He wants to let people out of prison because he thinks he'll get more votes that way, than if he doesn't.
1200 potential votes? LMAO, he'd be lucky if 400 of those people actually voted and gave him a 300 vote margin. There is definitely nothing intellectual or nuanced about your partisan knee jerk reactions to everything, that's for sure.

Old 09-26-2022, 10:33 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
1200 potential votes? LMAO, he'd be lucky if 400 of those people actually voted and gave him a 300 vote margin. There is definitely nothing intellectual or nuanced about your partisan knee jerk reactions to everything, that's for sure.
"More votes that way" = more votes by saying he'll release them all. Not that he's banking on 1200 early-release convicted felons remembering to vote for him.

Old 09-26-2022, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Actually, if we have fewer guards to maintain order in the prisons, that may well be just the time when we should be asking if everyone in prison really needs to be there.
Quote:
Fine, let's ask but let's also ask about the people who are on the streets that really need to be in prison. Let's take a look at places like Philly where fewer arrests are made and therefore the jails and prisons should be less crowded. How's that working out?
https://6abc.com/philadelphia-pa-waw...lice/12266264/

One woman who did not want to be identified says she often thinks twice before entering the store.
"Sometimes I'm afraid to stop, it's a shame," she said.

Personally I'd like to see more effort spent on stopping everyday crime before we move on to the esoteric stuff like random getaway car drivers with a heart of gold. The governor should grant clemency in movie-of-the-week cases. Beyond that, let's clean up crime.

Old 09-26-2022, 04:06 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
Since when do Senators have the power to commute penal decisions?
I'd place this thread on ignore.
YTMV

Old 09-26-2022, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Since when do Senators have the power to commute penal decisions?
I'd place this thread on ignore.
YTMV
I corrected the OP in post #2. Ignore it if you want.

The man who is currently Lt. Governor wants to be a U.S. Senator and he currently chairs the Parole Board/Board of Pardons for the Commonwealth.

A U.S. Senator can't commute sentences or change sentencing guidelines, but his words carry more weight than your or mine do.

Old 09-26-2022, 05:20 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,452,558 times
Quote:
https://6abc.com/philadelphia-pa-waw...lice/12266264/

One woman who did not want to be identified says she often thinks twice before entering the store.
"Sometimes I'm afraid to stop, it's a shame," she said.

Personally I'd like to see more effort spent on stopping everyday crime before we move on to the esoteric stuff like random getaway car drivers with a heart of gold. The governor should grant clemency in movie-of-the-week cases. Beyond that, let's clean up crime.
Crime is up everywhere. One story about Wawa (as grossed out as I was) doesn't change that. We can walk and chew gum.

Fetterman made this speech in 2021. Since he's running for US senate, his position on clemency is no longer a major feature of his aspirational responsibilities. It's you guys going on and on about it, lol. We can focus on reducing crime without focusing on this silly tweet.

Old 09-27-2022, 02:46 AM

837 posts, read 854,878 times
[quote=Duderino;64186304]First of all, the debate is set, so I'm not sure why you're questioning that. At least ONE debate will be happening between Oz and Fetterman. It's only now that the goalposts are being moved about the number of debates and its length.[quote]

The debate is already set. The real question is where will the debate be and who will be the moderators, as well as how long the debate will be. I'm hoping that since there's only one debate rather than the traditional three, more than likely, it will be in the middle of the state. And the reason why I questioned you was because of this following quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
We all know there's no good faith reason to hold any debate, quite frankly. One surely is enough.

By all means, please articulate your reasons as to needing more than one debate to consider a candidate "legitimate." And please don't give us the malarkey about "educating" the public. This isn't 1955; everyone with a brain and any interest in voting can figure out where these candidates stand on issues with about a 5-second Google search.

The desperate Oz campaign knows that the debate is a "Hail Mary" chance to try to get some smarmy one-liners on tape that can be made into vapid Twitter memes and sound bites.

Or even more despicable (and likely), wishing that Fetterman, in his recovering state, has a stuttering gaffe on air so that he appears "unhealthy" or "unfit" to voters, just like the obviously edited videos circulating about him now.

Again, you don't beg for a debate if you're not desperate. There's nothing but ill intentions and dirty politics driving the whining about debates, and you'd be naive not to see that.
Like I said since there's finally a debate, now this is going to be a make it or break it moment for both candidates. Now, you can't just rely on the "polls" to see who's going to be a viable candidate, and ever since 2016 happened between Hilary and Trump and Trump won despite the polls saying that Hilary was going to win it all, I've thrown all the polls that have been squawked on CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, and even FOX in the trash. It's either debate or no vote.

And I don't recall Dr. Oz wishing ill on Fetterman's health. The remark about Fetterman's health was made by on of Dr. Oz's staffers, not the man himself. If anything, I'm pretty sure Oz would've wanted a healthier Fetterman than otherwise, but as I've said on this thread as well as other threads regarding the PA politics, Fetterman chose this fight, and whether he's 100%, 90%, 80%, or less than 50%, he needs to soldier on and put up a good fight.

Last time I recall, Fetterman was the one that didn't want to debate Oz, especially after the stroke until the P-G forced him to debate, in which he finally relented.

Quote:
Secondly, my criticism of Oz actually has nothing to do with him being a Republican. He could be in the same position as a candidate in a primary. My point is that there's usually nefarious intent with this kind of distraction and demanding a debate. And the stroke-shaming that Oz's campaign has engaged in is classless.
Just like how there are Republicans you don't like, there are Democrats I don't like (such as former mayor Michael Nutter and current NJ Governor Murphy). I'm not telling you to like Oz because he's a Republican, but I'm also saying that the Democrat field for governor and US senator is underwhelming. Fetterman would've made a perfect congressman for the new PA-12, but it's Summer Lee who's running in it instead, and I'd hate to use race in this, even though she's a front runner, but since PA-12 is a mostly white district, she's going to have more trouble trying to connect with voters, especially in Westmoreland County, a right-leaning state.

And since State Representative Lee said that she's a progressive (https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...squad-1355051/; https://www.nrcc.org/2022/08/04/summ...for-the-squad/; https://www.vox.com/23071383/summer-...bernie-sanders), a lot of the right leaning voters, many of them will see her as "far-left" and "radical", especially since she's been endorsed by Bernie Sanders. So has Fetterman, but the difference between Fetterman and Lee is Fetterman is a white man and Lee is a black woman and had Fetterman chosen to run in the new PA-12, he would've gained a lot of the white votes in not just Allegheny, but in Westmoreland, and I'd hate to use race and sex for this but as much as we wished we lived in a post-racial society, there's still a lot of voters who don't want to see a woman, let alone a black woman win in that part of the state despite Pittsburgh making up a plurality of the new district's population (39.6% of the district's population).

If the new PA-12 was within Allegheny County or had Pittsburgh grown to be about 45% of the district's population, then the PA-12 race would've favored Lee more than her GOP candidate Mike Doyle (not the current Dem incumbent Mike Doyle, BTW), but all I can say is that Lee will have it harder in the general election mainly because of her race, her "far-left" politics, and the possibility that she could join the Squad (AOC, Pressley, Tlaib, Bowman, and Cori Bush). Once again, I'm not saying she can't win, but if she does, it won't be a slam dunk as per her slim victory of 446 votes against Steve Irwin (https://www.wesa.fm/politics-governm...-clearer-today).This will be one of the interesting races in PA.

Quote:
I don't care how polished or polite the man portrays himself; it's a matter of underlaying character that I separate from a person's politics. I think Bernie Sanders is an ***hole, for example, even if he has some great policy ideas. Doesn't mean he's a great person.

There's a reason why Oz's unfavorable are extremely high, and even GOP voters will have to hold their nose to vote for him.
Once again, you don't have to vote for Oz the way I, as a Democrat, don't have to vote for Shapiro or Biden. Personally, I like Fetterman as a person and what he can do, and BTW in case you're wondering, yes I did vote for Fetterman in the 2018 lieutenant governor's election as well as vote for Wolf in the governor's race because the other Republican guy was a far-right nut plus I was hoping that Wolf would give blacks and Latinos more political power in the PA Legislature which was another reason why I voted for both candidates, but there's no black majority state senate district in Western PA, and no black plurality state representative district in Harrisburg.

There's also no Latino majority state senate and state representative districts in the Lehigh Valley, Berks County, and Philadelphia so my 2018 vote for both Fetterman and Wolf was essentially wasted and I personally don't see Shapiro going to "right the ship" as far as minorities are concerned, as he's the Democrat establishment candidate and will only come to black and Latino neighborhoods just for votes, then would disappear once he gets in office just like he disappeared when crime started to go bad in both Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Personally, I'd never vote for candidate for that, and because of the way the Dems have governed like it's still the 1980's and 1990's, and the Dems in PA will pay buy more minorities voting for the GOP over the Dems in PA.

As for Fetterman, his policies, plus initially avoiding a debate until he was pressed by the P-G to have a debate won't help him. And trying to get rid of the filibuster won't help him, especially since both parties use it as a weapon. Here's an example of a democrat senator using the filibuster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wki_4l8Hmro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GWQMM1gtWc

It was eventually a failure but I can at least respect the Dems for trying to use the filibuster to delay the selection of Neil Gorsuch.

Old 09-27-2022, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Crime is up everywhere. One story about Wawa (as grossed out as I was) doesn't change that. We can walk and chew gum.
Exactly my point. Crime is up everywhere, so why defend criminals at this time? It shows Fetterman is tone deaf.

Oh, and if you want me to believe Larry Krasner can walk and chew gum show me the video. It's plausible that he can do neither.

Quote:
Fetterman made this speech in 2021. Since he's running for US senate, his position on clemency is no longer a major feature of his aspirational responsibilities. It's you guys going on and on about it, lol. We can focus on reducing crime without focusing on this silly tweet.
Crime was up in 2021. It's not like Fetterman made this speech 10 years ago. It was only last year.

I can see if he made these remarks in 1996, 2007, or 2018 when the economy was great and people were likely to feel secure. But in a time of high crime, inflation, and recession like we have today the voters' mood has changed.

John Fetterman knows a lot about making fun of people who said "crudite'" instead of "veggie tray", now he has to deal with the fallout from his own words.

Old 09-27-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Exactly my point. Crime is up everywhere, so why defend criminals at this time? It shows Fetterman is tone deaf.
This is exactly the level of nuance that you (and the rest of the Trump cult) don't have the capacity to understand at all. Fetterman was tough on crime in Braddock and reduced actual violent crime there. He's not part of the defund the police crowd. You can be tough on crime and also recognize that there are a lot of people in prison who could be released without decreasing safety on the streets. It's not a binary choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania