Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 07:05 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times

Advertisements

In 2010 when he was mayor of Braddock, John Fetterman was caught on video vandalizing a new minority-owned business in town.

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/...wned-business/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 07:46 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,452,558 times
That is one of the most poorly written articles that I've read in awhile. Lol. Obviously it is a biased article, but it would have been prudent for the authors to give more context for this action beyond the soundbite they played that Fetterman was "putting them on notice." Why did he want to put them on notice? If his actions were unlawful, why wasn't law enforcement involved to address this defacement of property? Not only is the article poorly written from a stylistic standpoint, it gives very little context about what happened.

Old 10-05-2022, 08:17 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,628,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
That is one of the most poorly written articles that I've read in awhile. Lol. Obviously it is a biased article, but it would have been prudent for the authors to give more context for this action beyond the soundbite they played that Fetterman was "putting them on notice." Why did he want to put them on notice? If his actions were unlawful, why wasn't law enforcement involved to address this defacement of property? Not only is the article poorly written from a stylistic standpoint, it gives very little context about what happened.
"Fetterman [...] telling a local news station that he had vandalized the sign as a means to notify the club he was going to try to shut them down. "

Could you provide a context, any context at all, in which this was a good thing to do? Is this something you would do, or encourage your kids to do? Is vandalism ever a good way to handle a conflict?

Old 10-05-2022, 08:25 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
That is one of the most poorly written articles that I've read in awhile. Lol.
I notice you're not disputing the facts. Only trying to deflect attention from Fetterman's extra-legal treatment of a minority-owned business in the town he was mayor of.

Here's a version you'll love.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/democ...s-mayor-report

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's take on the subject is behind a paywall.

Old 10-05-2022, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
"Fetterman [...] telling a local news station that he had vandalized the sign as a means to notify the club he was going to try to shut them down. "

Could you provide a context, any context at all, in which this was a good thing to do? Is this something you would do, or encourage your kids to do? Is vandalism ever a good way to handle a conflict?
The way you are clutching your peals, you'd think he had broken a window or stolen property. He rearranged some letters on a sign. I am sure it took the owners about five minutes to change the letters back the next day. Perhaps a bit juvenile, but nothing to write home about. Of all the scandals Republicans dismiss these days, I find this to be quite an ironic thing to be up in arms about.

To give some more context, apparently he was trying to shut down the club because it was a threat to public safety in Braddock. Now there's something Republicans can get behind!

Old 10-05-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I notice you're not disputing the facts. Only trying to deflect attention from Fetterman's extra-legal treatment of a minority-owned business in the town he was mayor of.

Here's a version you'll love.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/democ...s-mayor-report

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's take on the subject is behind a paywall.
The fact is he rearranged letters on a sign. I know we are living in scandal heavy times these days, and headlines mean everything, but get a grip. This story is nothing-potatoes.

Oh, and to the point that a story can be factually poorly written, that story was factually poorly written. Lol.

Old 10-05-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
The way you are clutching your peals, you'd think he had broken a window or stolen property. He rearranged some letters on a sign. I am sure it took the owners about five minutes to change the letters back the next day. Perhaps a bit juvenile, but nothing to write home about. Of all the scandals Republicans dismiss these days, I find this to be quite an ironic thing to be up in arms about.

To give some more context, apparently he was trying to shut down the club because it was a threat to public safety in Braddock. Now there's something Republicans can get behind!
You are rationalizing.

Vandalism is never ok. I would never do it, or encourage my kids to do it. It has nothing to do with expense or time to fix, it goes to character, what type of person he is. No decent person would vandalize. Ever. For any reason.

Old 10-05-2022, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
You are rationalizing.

Vandalism is never ok. I would never do it, or encourage my kids to do it. It has nothing to do with expense or time to fix, it goes to character, what type of person he is. No decent person would vandalize. Ever. For any reason.
Vandalize means to deliberately destroy or damage. He left the letters intact, so I think he’s good on that front. Seems like a juvenile prank to me. I’d be good with a statement from him vowing to never rearrange letters on a sign again.

In other news, my “Shapiro for Governor” sign was stolen from my front porch within a day of putting it up. I suspect it was the St. Joe’s ”law and order” bros in my neighborhood. Now that meets the criteria for vandalism.

Old 10-05-2022, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Vandalize means to deliberately destroy or damage. He left the letters intact, so I think he’s good on that front. Seems like a juvenile prank to me. I’d be good with a statement from him vowing to never rearrange letters on a sign again.

In other news, my “Shapiro for Governor” sign was stolen from my front porch within a day of putting it up. I suspect it was the St. Joe’s ”law and order” bros in my neighborhood. Now that meets the criteria for vandalism.
It does meet the criteria for vandalism.

In an ideal world, politicians have good judgement. Performing juvenile pranks is not someone with good judgement.

Old 10-05-2022, 08:52 AM

1,170 posts, read 592,234 times
To think Netflix's most popular program is about Jeffrey Dahmer, when we have this explosive true crime story right in our back yard. I think Fred Durst would make a good John Fetterman,.

Do you think they would use a real changeable letter sign or just some CGI crap? Probably depends on the budget.

Last edited by Tweb66; 10-05-2022 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: added last bit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania