Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2022, 05:50 AM

325 posts, read 368,912 times

Advertisements

I deeply apologize for the non-political thread here, but thought it was worth mentioning. Pennsylvania seems to hit it out of the park with the best places to retire, according to this article:

1. Lancaster, Pennsylvania

2. Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

3. Pensacola, Florida

4. Tampa, Florida

5. York, Pennsylvania

6. Naples, Florida

7. Daytona Beach, Florida

8. Ann Arbor, Michigan

9. Allentown, Pennsylvania

10. Reading, Pennsylvania

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news...e82775d5fdee98
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 07:59 AM

10,867 posts, read 4,540,181 times
Your apology accepted. The article lists places in the US...to the top 10 places are all in PA or FL? I find that hard to believe....

While we are going to retain *a* place in PA when we retire, the other place will not be in FL or PA.

And I have bones to pick with the PA choices...Allentown and Reading I think are too far gone after the recovery. While I was just there this weekend and they are definitely rebuilding...for geezers tho?

And harrisburg (proper) is too much of a flood zone and DMZ - once again - for geezers? and you dont retire to flood zones.

Of those listed that leaves York and Lancaster of which I would choose York. Geezers are not going to appreciate the tens of millions of amish tormenting tourists every year in Lancaster.

If I HAD to choose a PA area, that is geezer acceptable I would push for where I am now - western westmoreland or north of altoona in the bellwood area or around carlisle PA say between chambersbug and carlisle proper. the deciding factor, housing prices for single level-no stair, ease to shopping, ease to medical care. I like my place up north and its isolation, but a decent food palace or doctors office is at least a half hour drive - your needs change at 65+ as opposed to 35, 45 or even my current 58. Not that I need any docs NOW, but that could change

We are looking along or near TN lakes, near TN major cities - like say east of nashville at the moment. A major factor is how much of your fixed retirement income do they take.

FL checks a lot of boxes, but you dont want to live in a hurricane strike area anymore than you want to live in a flood zone and while FL can get the heat of say AZ or parts of NM or even TX, it adds the 100% humidity - take it form someone who worked there in summers - you never get used to it and therefore you are slave to the AC plus all freshwater activities are risky unless being chomped on is fun.

Old 11-01-2022, 08:31 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
Your apology accepted. The article lists places in the US...to the top 10 places are all in PA or FL? I find that hard to believe....

To be clear, the reason why PA and FL are always so high on these lists is because the states do not tax your retirement income

Old 11-01-2022, 08:42 AM

732 posts, read 602,530 times
We moved to Lancaster a couple years ago when DH retired. Not because it was on a best-list, but because we had our own list of needs/wants and it checked the most boxes. It's nice, we're good here for now but I don't think it's the last place we'll live. Just a hunch. But, yeah, I can see why it comes in so high on the Best-List. It hits a sweet spot of developed but not too developed, within 2-3 hours of major cosmopolitan cities, low (comparatively) COL, train service, decent weather, lively downtown, historical character and charm, also lots of young people (in the city at least) which as a not-young person I really appreciate in a highly-ranked retirement destination.

Old 11-01-2022, 02:06 PM

429 posts, read 719,651 times
I agree with the cost of living bit insofar as inexpensive housing, and no tax on retiree pensions, but also having no sales tax on groceries or clothing is nice.

The Pennsylvania cities also have strong health centers. Tower Health, based in Reading, is a top level trauma center and Drexel University Doctors are training right near The Reading Hospital/Tower Health and the Nursing School is outstanding. Lancastser, York, Harrisburg benefit from Lancaster General and the affiliation with Penn State Health and the specialty care available in Hershey.

Regarding Reading being on the list, have you seen the downtown since the Alvernia/College Towne campus opened a couple years ago? They are expanding again in the spring. Alvernia and Albright Universities really enhance the liveliness factor. Oh, yeah, Penn State/Berks Campus is about 5 miles away, too.

Then there is lots of culture: The Santander Arena for hockey, other sports and major concerts; and Santander Performing Arts for Reading Symphony Orchestra, Ballet, Broadway Touring shows, etc.

The city is gentrifying and people living there and in the suburbs around Reading can afford a pretty good quality of life as retirees.

Old 11-01-2022, 02:14 PM

1,170 posts, read 592,234 times
I would assume they mean the surrounding areas and maybe not the towns proper. I don't think any seniors are moving into Allentown (though maybe some are, there are neighborhoods with good housing stock that cost less because the schools are trash), but they are 55+ communities spreading like warehouses throughout much of Lehigh County.

Old 11-06-2022, 06:20 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I am fairly certain these "cities" are referring to the entire metro areas. So while one may balk at Reading being desirable or livable, for example, you can live happily ever after in West Reading or Wyomissing. Same with not living in Allentown's city proper but instead maybe living in Hellertown or Emmaus or Bethlehem. Same with living in Camp Hill or Wormleysburg or Mechanicsburg or Carlisle for Harrisburg.

Pittsburgh often ranks so highly because the surrounding Allegheny County has a superb quality-of-life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania