Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 05:28 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think the legal age of all adult activities should be increased to 25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2023, 08:41 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Personally, I think the legal age of all adult activities should be increased to 25.
Okay, but driving is not an adult activity, any more than riding a bike is. It's just a form of transportation. Kids need transportation, just like adults do.

Old 03-01-2023, 12:35 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,344,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Agree. Sad that a Philadelphia legislator is sponsoring this bill. Apparently, it’s difficult for kids to get to work. I guess it’s easier to lower the driving age, and more difficult to be a productive politician and actually attempt to fix SEPTA.
The last thing Philadelphia needs is teens driving at a younger age... And I thought the same thing about SEPTA.

And we made it this far with a minimum driving age of 16, whether the intention on paper is good, just leave it alone.

Old 03-01-2023, 02:12 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
The younger the better to a point. Kids learn faster at a young age. I was taught at 13 and was a superior driver to my classmates by a lot. I thought most of them to drive a stick. It won’t pass of course, but I’m for it. 13 for learners permit would be great.

Old 03-01-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
The younger the better to a point. Kids learn faster at a young age. I was taught at 13 and was a superior driver to my classmates by a lot. I thought most of them to drive a stick. It won’t pass of course, but I’m for it. 13 for learners permit would be great.
Exactly. I started driving at age 8 sitting on my dad's lap and steering. Yes, that was legal in those days. By the time I got a learners permit, driving was second nature to me. There are children as young as 5 years old driving vehicles on farms in virtually every state.

The real problem is throwing 18 year olds behind the wheel with little to no driving experience.

Old 03-01-2023, 05:02 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,241,251 times
Lots of places have kids getting their permits the second they turn 15, but research has shown that more teens are waiting to get their license.

Quote:
The teenage rite of passage of rushing to the DMV on your birthday to get that plastic card that represents freedom has changed dramatically over the last 30 years. Data collected from the Federal Highway Administration and analyzed by Green Car Congress showed that in 2018 approximately 61% of 18-year-olds in the U.S. had a driver’s license, down from 80% percent in 1983. The number of 16-year-olds with licenses decreased from 46% to 25% in the same period.

The trend that began with millennials has been amplified by Generation Z, with teens citing myriad reasons for putting off or avoiding getting a driver license. Some prefer more environmentally friendly transportation options, some found driving too stressful and some just don't care about cars.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ving/48148523/

Old 03-01-2023, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Lots of places have kids getting their permits the second they turn 15, but research has shown that more teens are waiting to get their license.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ving/48148523/
Kids in Alaska, Arkansas, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Montana, and North and South Dakota, get their Learner's Permits at 14. Kids in Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, and North and South Dakota get Restricted Licenses at 15. This Pennsylvania law won't be setting any precedents.

The reason most young people are waiting longer is because of the difficulty in getting a driver's license before their 18th birthday. In most cases there are many restrictions on a minor's license. To get an unrestricted license they generally have to take expensive driver training courses. Or they can just wait and walk into the DMV on their 18th birthday, and walk out with an unrestricted license. They don't know how to drive, but they have a driver's license when they turn 18.

Legal Driving Age by State

Old 03-01-2023, 06:12 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,341,179 times
In fact, 14- and 15-year olds can be licensed to drive in more states than not, but only under a limited set of well-defined circumstances.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=14-yea...rive&FORM=SSRE

The underlying reason lies in agriculture. Farm youngsters typically learn to operate a tractor (which is not much different from a riding lawn mower) around the age of twelve, and the law cannot prevent a farm family from operating a motor vehicle on their own property, And here in Pennsylvania, if that property is spread over multiple locations, farm boys may use locally-maintained public roads (but not state highways) to get between the properties. This system has operated for over a century, and I see no reason to change it now.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-01-2023 at 07:01 PM..

Old 03-02-2023, 03:53 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,030,232 times
Not a good idea. Why not just lower the legal age to purchase alcohol to 19 while they are at it. (sarcasm).

Old 03-02-2023, 05:11 PM

1,170 posts, read 592,234 times
Hmm, if we lower the age requirement, probably means fewer of our stolen cars will be wrapped around a tree. Glass half full? I am forever grateful that I don't have a Hyundai/Kia, stealing them is all the rage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania