Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 10:34 AM

117 posts, read 392,299 times

Advertisements

I would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions for places that make Grandma pizza. Gotta get a fix on a trip first week of May.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2023, 03:01 PM

732 posts, read 601,693 times
TIL there's a thing called Grandma pizza. I'm in Lancaster, but unfortunately can be of no help.

Old 04-23-2023, 06:19 AM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
I see from the Wikipedia article on Grandma pizza that, even though the style has been around for decades, pizzerias didn't start calling it that until 1994 on Long Island, with which the style is associated.

That means it's been a Thing abroad in the culture for less than 20 years. I live in Philadelphia and can't think of a pizzeria that offers it, though the city is big enough and close enough to Long Island for it to have already migrated here (and given its origins, there are probably some old Italian-American women somewhere in South Philly or South Jersey making it at home).

And if that's the case, I'd say there's a good chance it hasn't arrived in Lancaster or York counties yet.

Old 04-23-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I see from the Wikipedia article on Grandma pizza that, even though the style has been around for decades, pizzerias didn't start calling it that until 1994 on Long Island, with which the style is associated.

That means it's been a Thing abroad in the culture for less than 20 years. I live in Philadelphia and can't think of a pizzeria that offers it, though the city is big enough and close enough to Long Island for it to have already migrated here (and given its origins, there are probably some old Italian-American women somewhere in South Philly or South Jersey making it at home).

And if that's the case, I'd say there's a good chance it hasn't arrived in Lancaster or York counties yet.
Following myself up to report that a Google search on "grandma pizza Philadelphia" produced several places that serve it, including a very good Wash West pizzeria I'm familiar with.

That one is (perhaps appropriately enough) NYPD Pizza, on 11th Street just above Walnut, across from the Foerderer Pavilion at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. Its menu calls it "Grandma Siciilian pizza." Grandma pizza and Sicilian pizza are similar but not the same; Grandma pizza has a thinner, crisper crust. But since NYPD also has "Sicilian Brooklyn-style" pizza on its menu, I suspect they know the difference there.

I've also found one place in the Italian Market, one in Manayunk (perhaps to balance out NYPD, this one's called Pizza Jawn), one in Queen Village and a vegan place on 20th Street in Rittenhouse Square so far.

Now to check Lancaster....

Old 04-27-2023, 06:22 AM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
TIL there's a thing called Grandma pizza. I'm in Lancaster, but unfortunately can be of no help.
Yeah, the stuff people come up with.

https://blog.slicelife.com/differenc...grandma-pizza/

Old 04-27-2023, 09:53 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Yeah, the stuff people come up with.

https://blog.slicelife.com/differenc...grandma-pizza/
I’ll see Grandma pizza (of varying quality) in the Eastern half of the state from time to time. Properly done, it’s Sicilian-esque, to the extent that it’s square cut pan pizza with thicker crust than an Italian-style hand tossed round pie. But it’s not quite as dense as regular Sicilian, the bottom tends to be lightly oiled (creating a hint of a fried effect), and the standard topping includes chunkier tomato sauce and basil in addition to hard shredded mozzarella.

Although not in Lancaster, Palumbo’s in Harrisburg makes a decent Grandma pie. But it’s not so good I’d recommend taking the 90-minute round trip to get some.

Old 04-27-2023, 10:16 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
That means it's been a Thing abroad in the culture for less than 20 years. I live in Philadelphia and can't think of a pizzeria that offers it.

I would consider the Santuccis chain as grandma style.

Old 04-27-2023, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I would consider the Santuccis chain as grandma style.
I think their pies are more traditional Sicilian than Grandma Sicilian.

Edited to add: Damn, guess I should head down to the P&P early tonight and stop by NYPD on the way to try an actual Grandma slice.

Old 04-28-2023, 12:09 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
I think their pies are more traditional Sicilian than Grandma Sicilian.

Edited to add: Damn, guess I should head down to the P&P early tonight and stop by NYPD on the way to try an actual Grandma slice.

No, it's not lol. Santucci's isn't close to being Sicilian and is the very definition of grandma style pizza.

It's not that complicated: it's cooked in a pan. the cheese is under the sauce. It's not nearly as thick or air-filled as Sicilian. The crust is much crisper.

Old 04-29-2023, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
No, it's not lol. Santucci's isn't close to being Sicilian and is the very definition of grandma style pizza.

It's not that complicated: it's cooked in a pan. the cheese is under the sauce. It's not nearly as thick or air-filled as Sicilian. The crust is much crisper.
I will admit that it's been years since I ate at a Santucci's (a franchised location on Holme Circle that left me underwhelmed), so my memory is probably very faulty — I thought the crust was thick and puffy rather than thin and crisp.

I defer to you here. I'll probably still stop by NYPD anyway (didn't make it over Thursday evening), as their pies are consistently great quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania