Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 08:32 PM

634 posts, read 1,165,062 times

Advertisements

We've all seen the negative effects of NY sprawl infesting the Eastern Pocono region. Then there are the NJ refugees flooding places like Bucks county which has caused more farmland to disappear and has driven property taxes onward and upward.

Everything East of the Susquehanna seems to be a lost cause.

I would gladly trade not going "down the shore" if those people would stop invading our lands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 09:02 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Come, come Kevin, let us welcome these people! They too will learn our languages and the way of Pennsylvanians!

Old 07-18-2008, 06:34 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,091,473 times
Well, considering huge swaths of South Jersey were populated by ex-Philadelphians, it's nice that PA is finally getting some people back. You don't actually want to lose people, do you?

Old 07-18-2008, 07:43 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,341,609 times
Excellent point, BPP1999. When developers started buying farmland in areas like Sewell in the late '70's people from South and Southwest Philly were able to buy large, single homes for a great price, despite the interest rates being around 20%. As far as I know none of the established residents of those towns considered the new people "refugees". You can't blame anyone for wanting to get away from small rowhouses, tight streets and increasing crime. Now that the taxes and other issues are getting out of hand, especially in Central and North Jersey, those residents are moving into Pennsylvania and Delaware. Again, people have a right to make a better life for themselves and their family. The ones that have moved out here to Lancaster County are friendly, down-to-earth people who work hard and respect their neighbors and communities. My tax dollars aren't going into their pocket.

KevinE: if you had a farm that wasn't making any money and a developer was offering you an outrageous amount of money for it for the sole intention of building homes or a shopping mall, what would you do? Barely enough money in your pocket to feed your family. Would you think about how it would impact your town and neighbors or realize you need to take of yourself?

Last edited by lititzman2003; 07-18-2008 at 07:51 AM..

Old 07-18-2008, 08:39 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Why won't they move to Scranton? Are their tastes too snobbish for "the city?" Instead most of them are tearing down trees along our hillsides to build new homes in suburban tract housing subdivisions. Psha!

Old 07-18-2008, 08:52 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Well, considering huge swaths of South Jersey were populated by ex-Philadelphians, it's nice that PA is finally getting some people back. You don't actually want to lose people, do you?
Well said. If its not bemoaning a "dying" state, many PA'ns will also bemoan those who fuel its much-needed growth. I've come to believe that some people just LOVE to complain.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:59 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Well said. If its not bemoaning a "dying" state, many PA'ns will also bemoan those who fuel its much-needed growth. I've come to believe that some people just LOVE to complain.
Pennsylvania is in the bottom five in the nation in terms of population growth rate, yet we're also in the top five in the nation in terms of open space succumbing to open sprawl on an annual basis. In other words all we're doing is spreading a dwindling population further and further out from urban cores. How is this beneficial? If this is the result of the NY/NJ influx, then I say "No thanks." Thankfully I know of some transplants who did make the move to Scranton or its inner suburbs and have been very pleased with their decisions, but it also seems like every week there is another announcement for another new major housing development that is destined to destroy our precious open space.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:10 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Pennsylvania is in the bottom five in the nation in terms of population growth rate, yet we're also in the top five in the nation in terms of open space succumbing to open sprawl on an annual basis. In other words all we're doing is spreading a dwindling population further and further out from urban cores. How is this beneficial? If this is the result of the NY/NJ influx, then I say "No thanks." Thankfully I know of some transplants who did make the move to Scranton or its inner suburbs and have been very pleased with their decisions, but it also seems like every week there is another announcement for another new major housing development that is destined to destroy our precious open space.
I can understand your criticism of suburban sprawl, but this is not the fault of transplants looking for a lower cost-of-living. This is the fault of our politicians that are in the pockets of developers -- those who won't fight for SmartGrowth policies or enact open space ordinances because they're afraid of jeopardizing campaign donations from these developers. So, basically you're making the right argument for the wrong reasons. We must hold our elected officials accountable for how our state's growth is facilitated, and our state's growth and environmental sustainability are not mutually exclusive.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:22 PM

58 posts, read 200,387 times
Quote:
I can understand your criticism of suburban sprawl, but this is not the fault of transplants looking for a lower cost-of-living. This is the fault of our politicians that are in the pockets of developers -- those who won't fight for SmartGrowth policies or enact open space ordinances because they're afraid of jeopardizing campaign donations from these developers. So, basically you're making the right argument for the wrong reasons. We must hold our elected officials accountable for how our state's growth is facilitated, and our state's growth and environmental sustainability are not mutually exclusive.
You made a good point here. I share the same sentiment as ScranBarre about our open spaces giving way to suburban sprawl. I also believe Pennsylvania needs an influx of people with diverse backgrounds and different mentalities that can progressively push the state forward.

In the north-central tier like Potter County, McKean, Tioga County, and most of central Pennsylvania, the general mentality is being unable to think outside of the box. As James Carville said, Pennsylvania is "Alabama" between Pittsburgh and Philly. We need an influx of people with diverse backgrounds with progressive mindsets who can bring different ideas for the state's benefit.

Population growth is good for the state. The issue is making this growth sustainable. And this is where local ordinances like zoning, and community planning come into play. We need to promote high density urban development in the cities centered around public transit. High gas prices would be an asset.

We should also stop building highways because the quickest way to destroy a community and its surrounding open spaces is to build a highway right through it, just like how the construction of I-95 through Bucks County was the beginning of the end for acres of farmland in the area.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:20 AM

681 posts, read 2,877,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Why won't they move to Scranton? Are their tastes too snobbish for "the city?" Instead most of them are tearing down trees along our hillsides to build new homes in suburban tract housing subdivisions. Psha!
They won't move to Scranton because they escape NY or NJ to get away from overcrowding, crime, and expensive living. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, being a metropolitan area (and one of the biggest in PA, at that) already has several huge strikes against it for NY/NJ refugees. Add to that the fact that all you have to do is go 15 miles away from the city center in order to be in the country again, and that's why these people are populating country areas rather than city areas. I should know. I was an NJ refugee who fled the expense, overcrowding, traffic, and general snobbery of central NJ for a place in east-central PA. Now I'm fleeing the economic despair of PA for TX... go figure. I wonder when I'll stop fleeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania