Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 06:05 AM

6 posts, read 47,849 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the info. I checked online for rental properties, houses not apartments, and i cant really find any. Do you have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 07:48 AM

33 posts, read 239,393 times
Moving to Ft Indiantown Gap from a downtown city environment will be a big change, but thats only if you move into the surrounding rural area. One thing to consider is that the Gap is about 2mins off a major highway (I-81). You can commute from father highway distances.

You could search for housing in the Paxonia, Linglestown, Manada Hill, Colonial Park, & Progress areas (zip codes: 17112, 17028, 17109, 17110). These areas would put u at about 20-25mins from work, but you would be near civilization!

My favorite area of Harrisburg is Paxtonia (17112). Its exit #72 off I-81... the Gap is exit #85 (thats 13miles, not too bad!) We have 2 very large shopping centers nearby: Colonial Commons & Colonial Park Mall, 4 Major Grocery Stores, strip malls, restaurants, all the name-brand stores you can think of, & were about 10mins from Downtown Harrisburg. This is a very nice area, I feel like i'm 10mins from everything!!

I would recommend staying away from Annville, Cleona, Lebanon, Lickdale, Grantville. These are all VERY nice areas, but they're a little too rural for my liking. I like to jump in the car and drive 5mins to the mall or grocery store, or whatever. Please ask more questions, i have many answers to share.

Is this a permanent move? Is there children involved?

Old 02-26-2007, 08:28 AM

I made a quick map for you. The circled area in the center is where I recommend for living, the "X" in the upper right corner is the administrative buildings at Ft Indiantown Gap. Notice I-81 runs directly northeast straight to the Gap. If you look for housing very close to the highway, I think this would be the best choice. When I purchased a home in this area, I only looked at homes within a few mins drive of the Interstate; that was big priority to me at the time!

Old 02-26-2007, 07:10 PM

26,460 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstyjkt2002 View Post
Thanks for all the info. I checked online for rental properties, houses not apartments, and i cant really find any. Do you have any suggestions?
How about trying:

www.rent.net
www.apartments.com
http://www.pennlive.com/realestate/

Old 02-27-2007, 07:57 AM

www.pennlive.com is a GREAT website to use!! I would recommend that above any other housing sites. Its basically the Central PA newspaper classifies adds online. Plus it has news, restaurants, forums, and lotsa other guides & info on this area.

For example: heres a listing in Jonestown, PA, about 6 miles away. At first glance, this looks like a really nice place. There is a lot of brand new construction in Jonestown, but this a low population / rural area. You may be able to request additional info from the seller, theres a phone number listed in the ad.

Ad #: 0001644464

Old 02-27-2007, 08:06 AM

6 posts, read 46,511 times
Thank you so much for the info! Yes there are children involved. I have a daughter that will be attending High School in the fall so that is my #1 priority. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:57 AM

I would recommend staying in the areas I highlighted in my map. Thats all part of Central Dauphin School District. CD just built a brand new High School about 2 years ago; its a really nice, state-of-the-art facility. I hear the staff is great too, but I have no kids in school, so you'll have to get details from others. This is a big school, I would guess 2000+ students. You could give then a call, and talk to the admissions office, they probably have statistics & info packets!

http://www.cdschools.org/cdhs/site/default.asp

Maybe looks for a Central Dauphin School thread? or start one?

Old 02-27-2007, 04:54 PM

6 posts, read 46,511 times
Thank you so much for all of your help!

Old 02-28-2007, 05:31 PM

222 posts, read 1,410,716 times
oldhead is right, you are about 20 minutes from the known world. In Colonial Park / Paxtonia there are several great restaurants, lots of shopping, movies, barbers, car dealerships, and coffee shops. The housing in the area is pretty reasonable, you can rent a standard apartment in the area for about 600 - 800, depending on how new it is, whats included, amenities, etc. A house would probably cost a bit more, probably in the 900 - 1000 range. That is the Colonial Park / West Hanover / Hershey / Annville Area. Once you get into some northern areas like Pine Grove and Tower City and tremont you can find stuff for slightly cheaper. They used to have a bus line a long long time ago that went all the way out to the Gap, but it has since closed down. If you do like outdoorsy stuff there is Memorial Lake and Swatara State Park close by. They both have excellent hiking, playgrounds and canoe rentals. There are state game lands to the north, adjacent to Blue Mountain. The appalachian trail runs right through it. They have a barber shop and a few gas stations along rt 22 there not far from the Gap. One of my best friends ended up moving here, his father is a helicopter Pilot at the Gap, and he lives here in the 17112 Zipcode and just drives to work 15 - 20 mins each way. My friend is in the Air National Guarg at the airport in middletown, also about 20 - 25 minutes from this area. It does snow here also, cold in the winter nad very humid in the summer. We have had about 1 for so far of snow this year. peace ~Dan~

Old 03-12-2007, 01:35 PM

6 posts, read 47,849 times
Arrow Thanks For The Reply!

ok if your willing then i will start shooting you some ?s i do have to boys they will be 10 in the 5th grade and 12 in the 7th grade. they are very impressionable and have been in military post schools for the past 4 years so the change to civilian schools is going to be an adjustment. what, if any, info is there about schools. are they broke up k-5, 6-8, 9-12? this will be a 3 year commitment for us so we are looking for good schools to take us all the way to high school....wow that hurt! dont want to think of my oldest being in high school by the time we leave...anyway! we do enjoy outdoorsy stuff but would like to be close to resturants and shopping ctrs. if at all possible. we were looking to buy a house, being we thought this would be our last move in the military, but it didnt work out that way. so we will be renting instead. we are trying to stay away from apartments but arent having much luck online with rental properties as far as houses are concerned. we are originally from oklahoma and have been in the army for 15 years so we havent really lived at home for a while. mostly been on the east coast VA and GA and overseas twice. we do like to have entertainment. not so much clubs but at least small bars that will adopt us and show us around. we are currently in germany so the change to the "amish country" or "german town" isnt going to bother us because we love it here. my husband is looking very forward to moving here because of all the fishing and hunting that is available there. he hasnt been able to do any of those things for 4 years because of restrictions they have here in germany. me on the other hand am very scared! i love the summer time and sunshine! i like temperatures to be in the 100's so that we can go to the lake or pool or whatever. we havent had much sunshine in germany except in the summer time and that is only from june to mid august. so to actually have a descent summer would be really nice. what kinda temps do ya'll get there. are the winters as dreary as they are here? i am not much for snow and layers upon layers of clothing. i am a dental assistant. i have been looking online to get an idea of what kinda of jobs are going to be available to me and arent having much luck with that either. most positions i have found are in harrisburg. my next ? would be after reading some of the quotes on here, some of these areas arent very welcoming to new-comers, i am a very personable person. i love to have bbqs and have a couple of beers and sometimes we do get loud. we have a fire pit and love to be able to have some friends over and do things like that. am i going to be looked as " crazy person" there? good thing is i do welcome this move. its not exactly what i wanted but i am willing to give it all i got and make it home. what are some things that i should NOT DO!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhead View Post
Moving to Ft Indiantown Gap from a downtown city environment will be a big change, but thats only if you move into the surrounding rural area. One thing to consider is that the Gap is about 2mins off a major highway (I-81). You can commute from father highway distances.

You could search for housing in the Paxonia, Linglestown, Manada Hill, Colonial Park, & Progress areas (zip codes: 17112, 17028, 17109, 17110). These areas would put u at about 20-25mins from work, but you would be near civilization!

My favorite area of Harrisburg is Paxtonia (17112). Its exit #72 off I-81... the Gap is exit #85 (thats 13miles, not too bad!) We have 2 very large shopping centers nearby: Colonial Commons & Colonial Park Mall, 4 Major Grocery Stores, strip malls, restaurants, all the name-brand stores you can think of, & were about 10mins from Downtown Harrisburg. This is a very nice area, I feel like i'm 10mins from everything!!

I would recommend staying away from Annville, Cleona, Lebanon, Lickdale, Grantville. These are all VERY nice areas, but they're a little too rural for my liking. I like to jump in the car and drive 5mins to the mall or grocery store, or whatever. Please ask more questions, i have many answers to share.

Is this a permanent move? Is there children involved?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania