Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:03 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,619,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaka khanverse View Post
I'm from Philadelphia and have family in Erie, so I come from a city that has very large city limits and very often visit a much smaller one. I just don't understand your statment at all.

Erie "city limits are very large by PA standards"? How? It is 22 sq mi.
Philadelphia: 135 sq mi
Pittsbugh: 56 sq mi
Allentown: 18 sq mi
Scranton: 25 sq mi

That's pretty average for its size.

It's true that Erie has smaller metro area than smaller cities in the state, but it is all by itself. Every other metro area in the state (save Philly and Pittsburgh) has other sizeable cities in PA in its immediate vicinity. Scranton has Wilkes-Barre. Harrisburg has York nearby, which is close to Lancaster, which is in close proximity to Reading, which is not too far from Allentown, which has Bethlehem and Easton... basically all of those cities are pretty much a part of a combined SE Pennsylvania metro area anchored by Philadelphia.

You obviously have no idea what a "small town" really is then.

Erie actually has two renown tertiary care hospitals. Hamot, in fact, is considered one of the Top 50 Hospitals in the US overall (only Philadelphia and Pittsburgh can also claim having one of those in PA) and is perennially ranked in the top 25 for cardiology and neurosurgery. So, yeah, I would have a major operation in Erie if I had to have one.

Okay, now Erie is "big town" in your words. It really seems like you have no idea what you're talking about. Why don't you just go watch some Steelers replays since you probably have nothing else to live for, like most Steelers fans.

I agree that Erie does not have many large suburbs... no smaller PA cities do. However, Millcreek Township has around 56,000 population now - that's larger than Harrisburg itself. It's actually one of the larger municpalities in the state and is contiguous with the city of Erie.

I agree that Harrisburg feels like a larger city than Erie when you are in Downtown Harrisburg. But, that is only because it is the state capital. Outside of downtown, Erie is much more extensive as far as urban neighborhoods go. Other than downtown, I don't think Harrisburg feels like a bigger city at all. Actually, Erie's urban neighborhoods are more extensive than any other city's urban neighborhoods in PA (aside from Philly and Pittsburgh, of course). And the fact that its a port city gives it a way bigger feel than Allentown, Reading, Scranton, etc.

Erie peaked in population in the late 1960s/early 1970s at around 145,000 in city proper. Though around 42,000 of that have left the city, it still retains the urban fabric that supported that larger population. Even though Allentown surpassed Erie in population a couple years ago, it is only now at its highest population numbers (~108,000)... that's still almost 40,000 people less than Erie had in the early 1970s! Erie has basically lost a "Harrisburg" and still is the 4th largest city in the state. That right there says something and shows that its city itself truly has its own, unique urban qualities. The same cannot be said for Allentown, Scranton, etc., as they have all other adjacent cities/towns sharing and supporting the region. Scranton was big once, but has lost major population since the 1930s. Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton and Harrisburg-Lancaster-York really were always just clusters of towns (not cities) that have now formed metro areas connected by suburbia.
What I meant was that Erie has a rather "large" city size which takes a much larger portion of the populated area then other cities of its size. Take Scranton, population 72,485 but metro area 549,430. Having other cities near you makes no difference. Allentown is still bigger then Erie now, even without Bethlehem and Easton. Harrisburg has always been in a metropolitan area by itself, as has Lancaster and York.

Harrisburg feels larger then Erie, and in reality (even without the state government) is a major employment hub and center of a region with more then a half million people with a larger economic output and buying power then Erie. Cities, townships and boroughs in this part of the state are much smaller -- if Harrisburg were the size of Erie it would probably have a population larger then Erie. Let's take density for example. Erie's density is 4,723 persons per sq mile. Harrisburg (at a mere 8.1 sq miles of land) has density of 6,043 persons per square mile. Even at Erie's population peak, Harrisburg was always more dense. Also, Harrisburg's contiguous urban neighborhoods spill out into its suburbs (Penbrook, Lower Paxton, Susquehanna, Paxtang, Steelton -- plus the urban west shore suburbs) all represent a very contiguous and populated suburban area just outside the city. This is not something you can say for Erie, save for Millcreek Township which really shares no contiguous urban neighborhoods with Erie's downtown. I'm sorry, I've visited Erie many times (don't get me wrong, I loooove Erie!) but just about every part of Harrisburg, even outside of downtown, feels like a larger city then Erie. Harrisburg's dense rowhouse and midrise neighborhoods just make it feel like a bigger city. That being said I love Erie's residential boulevards and I wish Harrisburg had something similar in the city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 08:10 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
What I meant was that Erie has a rather "large" city size which takes a much larger portion of the populated area then other cities of its size. Take Scranton, population 72,485 but metro area 549,430. Having other cities near you makes no difference. Allentown is still bigger then Erie now, even without Bethlehem and Easton. Harrisburg has always been in a metropolitan area by itself, as has Lancaster and York.

Harrisburg feels larger then Erie, and in reality (even without the state government) is a major employment hub and center of a region with more then a half million people with a larger economic output and buying power then Erie. Cities, townships and boroughs in this part of the state are much smaller -- if Harrisburg were the size of Erie it would probably have a population larger then Erie. Let's take density for example. Erie's density is 4,723 persons per sq mile. Harrisburg (at a mere 8.1 sq miles of land) has density of 6,043 persons per square mile. Even at Erie's population peak, Harrisburg was always more dense. Also, Harrisburg's contiguous urban neighborhoods spill out into its suburbs (Penbrook, Lower Paxton, Susquehanna, Paxtang, Steelton -- plus the urban west shore suburbs) all represent a very contiguous and populated suburban area just outside the city. This is not something you can say for Erie, save for Millcreek Township which really shares no contiguous urban neighborhoods with Erie's downtown.
Listen, I get you, but that guy won't. You don't have to explain yourself to 'that' guy. He's got "family" in Erie, so he's taken this all too personal. Believe me, I understand what you're saying. That's like how the 'city' of Pittsburgh swells by 200,000 people each day during the 'work week'. Same thing, it feels like a bigger city than it actually is. And Pittsburgh has all kinds of things that most cities around the country it's size don't.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:18 PM

8 posts, read 28,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
I have EVERY "clue" about what a "small town" is, a "big town", a "small city", and a "big city". I've been ALL over this great country of ours, believe me, I know the difference. When I said Erie was a "big town", I was saying that in the sense of it being just that, a "town". I don't consider that place a 'city'. And was just trying to satisfy the poster that I was responding to.

The crack about the Steelers, we HAVE 6 Super Bowl rings, how many do the Eagles have again? I thought so!

By the way, Philly (I lived there before), felt like nothing more than a bigger version of Pittsburgh. It DEFINITELY didn't have a 'world class city' feel like San Fransico, Chicago, or NYC.
Obviously, you don't know the difference if in the same post you call Erie a small town and then a big town. When in actuality, it is neither; but rather a small city. That's what it is, no matter what your ignorant defintion.

The crack wasn't about the Steelers. It was about their stupid fans... like YOU. I actually like the Steelers team along with the Eagles. But your response is typical. By the way, the Steelers were the doormat of pro football for their first 40 years, you know. Other NFL teams have more championships too... Packers have 12, Bears have 9, Browns have 8, Giants have 7. Probably didn't know all that did you... typical Steelers fan... no sense of football history.

As for Philly being "nothing more than a bigger version of Pittsburgh"... that's gotta be the funniest thing anyone's ever wrote on here. The cities are vastly different. I like Pittsburgh, but it is nothing more than an agglomeration of hillbilly enclaves. The urban environment is so fractured and segregated... nothing like Philly at all. Philadelphia is a highly urban city. Pittsburgh seems like more of a bunch of small towns connected by bridges and roads (which is nice, but again, nothing like Philly). Pittsburgh is the capital of Appalachia with all the West Virginia influence one can stand... again, nothing at all like Philly. Philly has over a million people just within city limits... Pittsburgh has only around 300,000 (you just got passed by Toledo... TOLEDO, OHIO is a larger city than Pittsburgh!!!) Bow your head in shame, pittsteelerfan. (Very original name, by the way... surprised it wasn't already taken by one of your redneck city brethren.)

As for Philadelphia not being "world class" in your opinion, so what? No one cares what you think. The topic is not about Philadelphia, anyway.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:34 PM

71 posts, read 302,660 times
Quote:
Obviously, you don't know the difference if in the same post you call Erie a small town and then a big town. When in actuality, it is neither; but rather a small city. That's what it is, no matter what your ignorant defintion.

The crack wasn't about the Steelers. It was about their stupid fans... like YOU. I actually like the Steelers team along with the Eagles. But your response is typical. By the way, the Steelers were the doormat of pro football for their first 40 years, you know. Other NFL teams have more championships too... Packers have 12, Bears have 9, Browns have 8, Giants have 7. Probably didn't know all that did you... typical Steelers fan... no sense of football history.

As for Philly being "nothing more than a bigger version of Pittsburgh"... that's gotta be the funniest thing anyone's ever wrote on here. The cities are vastly different. I like Pittsburgh, but it is nothing more than an agglomeration of hillbilly enclaves. The urban environment is so fractured and segregated... nothing like Philly at all. Philadelphia is a highly urban city. Pittsburgh seems like more of a bunch of small towns connected by bridges and roads (which is nice, but again, nothing like Philly). Pittsburgh is the capital of Appalachia with all the West Virginia influence one can stand... again, nothing at all like Philly. Philly has over a million people just within city limits... Pittsburgh has only around 300,000 (you just got passed by Toledo... TOLEDO, OHIO is a larger city than Pittsburgh!!!) Bow your head in shame, pittsteelerfan. (Very original name, by the way... surprised it wasn't already taken by one of your redneck city brethren.)

As for Philadelphia not being "world class" in your opinion, so what? No one cares what you think. The topic is not about Philadelphia, anyway.
HAHAHA!!! redneck city... I live in Pitt and agree... I will even say people in Erie are less redneck overall then Pitt... Outside of the East end and maybe a few suburbs, most of Pitt seems like hicks... Not diverse much either... I know Erie has more total latino population then Pitt... Also alot of immigrants... no one said Erie felt bigger then Pitt anyways and it doesnt make sense to compare the two... I like Pitt but not the people and their lame ass Steeler fans... Road system sucks too....

Old 02-09-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:

You call it a 'city', I DON'T! I ONLY consider places with PRO sports teams 'city's, PERIOD! I think any place with a population over 10,000, is 'considered' a 'city'.

Have you ever been to Toledo? Have you really? Pittsburgh Skyline (by the way, Pittsburgh's skyline ALWAYS comes in the top 20 in the world, and BEATS philly EVERY time too) ALONE, and I do mean ALONE, is WORLDS apart from the "Glass city". For YOU to compare Pittsburgh to Toledo, well that just shows you haven't travelled that much. How many Pro sports teams does Toledo have? How many great hospitals? How many great colleges? What about museums? They do have a good zoo there, I'll give'em that. How about their history there in Toledo and the mark it made on this country and the world? I'm not saying they don't none, but compared to Pittsburgh? How about Fortune 500 companies? What rich and powerful men EVER resided there? etc etc etc etc etc etc

Philly? I hope you ain't talking about North or South Philly in your arguement, cause if you are, my man, you don't have me fooled. Ya 'Center City' has is nice parts with it's educated class, so does Pittsburgh, go to the East End nabes.

All those Championships, the Packers 12? Against how many other teams? 9? You better do some research on wiki or other sites and you will see just HOW SUCCESSFUL the Steelers are! What about those Eagles? When are they going to win a Super Bowl? When?

Old 02-09-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinoG711 View Post
HAHAHA!!! redneck city... I live in Pitt and agree... I will even say people in Erie are less redneck overall then Pitt... Outside of the East end and maybe a few suburbs, most of Pitt seems like hicks... Not diverse much either... I know Erie has more total latino population then Pitt... Also alot of immigrants... no one said Erie felt bigger then Pitt anyways and it doesnt make sense to compare the two... I like Pitt but not the people and their lame ass Steeler fans... Road system sucks too....
Ya, the residents of Erie, I ALWAYS considered to be very 'cosmo' and 'sophisticated'................... ......Please no more, my eyes are hurting!

Old 02-09-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:

You REALLY do need to google the "Steelers" and see how wrong you are about them. You're starting embarrass yourself by insulting them anyway, especially being an Eagles fan and doing so. Maybe the Rooney's will let Mcnab 'borrow' some of the trophy's. As long as he polishes them before returning of course!

Old 02-09-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
You call it a 'city', I DON'T!I ONLY consider places with PRO sports teams 'city's, PERIOD! I think any place with a population over 10,000, is 'considered' a 'city'.

WHAT???!!! HAHAHAHA!!! ARE YOU RETARDED? SERIOUSLY, I'LL STOP IF YOU ARE.

Have you ever been to Toledo? Have you really? Pittsburgh Skyline (by the way, Pittsburgh's skyline ALWAYS comes in the top 20 in the world, and BEATS philly EVERY time too) ALONE, and I do mean ALONE, is WORLDS apart from the "Glass city". For YOU to compare Pittsburgh to Toledo, well that just shows you haven't travelled that much. How many Pro sports teams does Toledo have? How many great hospitals? How many great colleges? What about museums? They do have a good zoo there, I'll give'em that. How about their history there in Toledo and the mark it made on this country and the world? I'm not saying they don't none, but compared to Pittsburgh? How about Fortune 500 companies? What rich and powerful men EVER resided there? etc etc etc etc etc etc

THAT"S ALL FINE AND GOOD, AND I AGREE THAT PITTSBURGH HAS IT ALL OVER TOLEDO IN JUST ABOUT EVERY AREA... EXCEPT POPULATION!! TOLEDO HAS A LARGER POPULATION THAN PITTSBURGH, PERIOD. THERE WAS NO COMPARISON BETWEEN THE TWO CITIES BESIDES THAT, SO YOU ARE WASTING YOUR BREATH.

Philly? I hope you ain't talking about North or South Philly in your arguement, cause if you are, my man, you don't have me fooled. Ya 'Center City' has is nice parts with it's educated class, so does Pittsburgh, go to the East End nabes.

YOU FOOLISHLY BROUGHT PHILLY INTO THE DISCUSSION, NOT ME. SAYING IT'S EXACTLY THE SAME AS PITTSBURGH, JUST BIGGER, ONLY DISPLAYS HOW FOOLISH YOUR WORDS ARE. IT'S NOT ON TOPIC AND NOT WORTH EVEN EXPLAINING TO SOMEONE WHO, FROM THEIR WORDS AND WRITING "STYLE", SEEMS TO HAVE THE MENTALITY OF A 5TH GRADER... NOT SURPRISING FOR A PITTSBURGHER.

All those Championships, the Packers 12? Against how many other teams? 9? You better do some research on wiki or other sites and you will see just HOW SUCCESSFUL the Steelers are! What about those Eagles? When are they going to win a Super Bowl? When?

DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND LEARN SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE SUPER BOWL. I'M QUITE CONFIDENT THAT I KNOW FAR MORE ABOUT THE STEELERS' HISTORY THAN AN HILLBILLY LIKE YOU (YOU KNOW MORE NASCAR STUFF I'M SURE THOUGH). STEELERS HAVE SIX CHAMPIONSHIPS TOTAL. AS I ALREADY STATED ABOVE, THOSE OTHER TEAMS HAVE MORE. I KNOW THAT"S HARD FOR YOU TO TAKE SINCE, LIKE ALL OF PITTSBURGH, YOU HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO BE PROUD OF IN YOUR LIFE, EVEN THOUGH BEING PROUD OF A PRO SPORTS TEAM IS SILLY SEEING THAT YOU HAD ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THOSE ACHIEVEMENTS. AS FOR THE EAGLES AND WHEN THEY WILL WIN A SUPER BOWL... I DON'T THINK I COULD REALLY CARE ABOUT ANYTHING LESS... I ACTUALLY HAVE A LIFE BEYOND WATCHING SPORTING EVENTS ON TV. YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE? I'LL BET YOU DON'T EVEN LIVE IN PITTSBURGH... PROBABLY IN SOME SUBURB OR CRAPPY LITTLE SW PENNSYLVANIA REDNECK MCCAIN VOTING TOWN.
Refer to the bold comments above please.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:25 PM

I gotta run right now. But before I go, WHEN I said that, I was refering to the USA government. A town that has a pop over 10 thousand, I believe they 'consider' it to be a 'city'. I don't, if you don't have pro sports teams, you aint on the map! To be cont.....

Old 02-09-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I gotta run right now. But before I go, WHEN I said that, I was refering to the USA government. A town that has a pop over 10 thousand, I believe they 'consider' it to be a 'city'. I don't, if you don't have pro sports teams, you aint on the map! To be cont.....
Me too. Good night. I hope you know that I'm totally messing around with you, right? I know that I'm being an ass. It's all fun and games. I really do like Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania