Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 06:22 PM

93 posts, read 325,482 times

Advertisements

I have no complaint of PA. I love it here, I love the people here. As some people may know last summer in Claysburg, PA there was a bear in town and the police shot it causing an up roar.

What are you thoughts on it?

Here is original article in the paper
Residents growling over bear̢۪s demise - AltoonaMirror.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - The Altoona Mirror

Here are a variety of views on the topic:
Officers were in wrong - AltoonaMirror.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - The Altoona Mirror
Bear facts: Police panicked - AltoonaMirror.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - The Altoona Mirror
Official claims police justified in killing bear - AltoonaMirror.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - The Altoona Mirror

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-14-2009 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 06:39 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
That was very sad. There was no reason for that shooting at all.

But back to your topic. We went to the Pirates home opener today. We live on the east side of the City of Pittsburgh. Our neighborhood is predominately settled by employees of the major universities and more well to do citizens like ourselves. Its not hard to pick out those that live outside of the city limits, those that are uncultured and "hillbillyish".

Old 04-13-2009, 06:40 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,205 times
PA has "hillbilly" areas, suburbs and inner city grit. That's what makes it such a great and diverse state.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:18 AM

518 posts, read 2,531,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post

But back to your topic. We went to the Pirates home opener today. We live on the east side of the City of Pittsburgh. Our neighborhood is predominately settled by employees of the major universities and more well to do citizens like ourselves. Its not hard to pick out those that live outside of the city limits, those that are uncultured and "hillbillyish".
isn't that just a tad of an egotistical statement?

Old 04-14-2009, 08:47 AM

73 posts, read 343,050 times
Egotistical, insulting, demeaning and a blatant lack of respect and compassion for those who are different or less fortunate than oneself.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:21 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post

Scott, you sound like a Howland snob!

Old 04-14-2009, 11:18 AM

602 posts, read 2,033,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
PA has "hillbilly" areas, suburbs and inner city grit. That's what makes it such a great and diverse state.
Exactly. Let me use this analogy.

We have in a cabin in Cook Forest and seems like most people have some sort of old Chevy truck or SUV. I have a Jeep, which is also a popular brand up that way.

But I can go down near Pittsburgh and I see a ton of Volvos.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:13 PM

160 posts, read 638,729 times
Every state has people who are highly educated, or into the 'arts' (whatever that means to you), and people who prefer to keep to their own traditional ways, pretty nearly living off the grid. Along with the majority of suburban John and Mary Publics.

We had our own version of hillbillys in New Jersey; they're called Pineys or PineHawkers.

They never bothered me, and I would never have dreamed of bothering them. Just because I don't want their lifestyle for myself doesn't mean I think less of them because they don't want to embrace my lifestyle.

Now the children of the yupsters who used to go up to NYC for the weekend and leave their teens unsupervised to set each other's cars on fire in the mall parking lot...they bothered me. We were paying $8K a year in real estate taxes there in 1987, and too much of it was going to process these out of control kids thru the legal system.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:16 PM

93 posts, read 325,482 times
I didn't mean hillbilly as in bad way. When I think of a hillbilly i usually think of good, hard working, blue collar American.
Most of the hillbillys i know really aren't that uneducated, they may not be book smart but they are street smart.
I just wanted to know what your thoughts were to the peoples reaction of the police shooting the bear.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:34 PM

160 posts, read 638,729 times
Well, I agree with those who said it didn't need to be shot.

We had small bears in our yard occasionally in Juniata County. Since we kept our trash bagged in the cold room and took it down to the corner for paid pick-up once a week, we didn't have a burn pit with any kind of food scraps to make them interested in staying. They were just passing thru.

If you are going to live away from metro areas, you have to respect wildlife. That doesn't make you a hllbilly, though, in my opinion.

A blue collar American is not the same as a hillbilly. My dad worked in a factory (he was a tool and die maker for GM), but he drove foreign cars and our local supermarket sold live lobsters and frog's legs on the seafood counter. Our across the street neighbor was a truffle importer, and my parents got to sample a bit. This was during the 50s. Blue collar isn't such a big deal in other places. People get judged as likeable or not before you find out what they do for a living. I have to wonder if the Founding Fathers are spinning in their graves at the thought of Pennsylvanians trying so hard to build a British style class system in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
View detailed profiles of: