Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2007, 06:21 PM

450 posts, read 2,057,173 times

Advertisements

Kudos to Cosmic! He has captured a pocket of Appalachia like few others before him. The pics are eclectic and genuine. There is warmth and life in the midst of a rather stark setting in winter. But anyone who has been in the hills, seen the icicles hanging from the springs in the limestone/sandstone cliffs along the cold water rivers, driven the winding roads--it is like John Denver said about "West Virginia, Mountain Mama.--Take Me Home" I don't know if it will become another Poconos, but something interesting is happening there.

And the whole Oil City thing is part spoof and part nostalgia. Is it a wasteland of shattered dreams or a cocoon of nostalgia and rest--perhaps a bit of both. Whatever, it seems to strike a chord of yearning and loathing at the same time. I'm from a small town and as I age it does appeal to me to go back to that sort of life.

And, hey, maybe a Bohemian loft district in the downtown is the future--but I would not hold my breath. Once again, thank you, Cosmic. You have been to Oz and back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 06:37 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,769,198 times
Oh NNNNOOOOO!!! Here we go again

Old 04-02-2007, 09:58 PM

77 posts, read 473,973 times
I, too, enjoyed the pictures and descriptions of Oil City provided by the articulate and creative Cosmic. And, although Oil City is a part of Appalachia by definiton, it is not a "pocket of Appalachia" with hillside shacks and grinding poverty. For many years Oil City was the center of the oil industry and had its share of millionaires. Much of the housing reflects this early wealth.
I grew up in Oil City the '50's and '60's, and worked in Venango County as a social worker in the '70's. True poverty was at a minimum although not totally nonexistent. Everyone wore shoes, and most families had at least one car and a tv set. I roamed the hills as a kid and never saw one moonshine still.
I, too, wish I could go back to that small town life of my childhood. But I imagine it no longer exists.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:35 AM

41,972 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Oil City? Appalachia?

Doubtful.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:21 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,293,113 times
I must admit I've been tossing around the idea of moving back there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania