Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 01:44 PM

870 posts, read 1,572,251 times

Advertisements

I go to PA frequently and notice all of the township signs. Based on my observations, it seems like many of the shopping centers and malls are in the townships, atleast in the Washington and Uniontown areas it seems that way. Many of the cities, even the smaller ones, are dense while the townships are spread out and usually contain the newer houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 05:45 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,804,220 times
Intro to second class townships: Pennsylvania State Association of Township Supervisors: Townships around the State (http://www.psats.org/about_townships.html - broken link)

And to first class townships, to distinguish from second class: PA League of Cities & Municipalities --

Old 05-29-2009, 10:26 PM

140 posts, read 860,092 times
Pa. townships and boroughs can be confusing at times. My mailing address is Hanover,Pa. Hanover borough is in York county, but I live in Adams county and in Conewago township, but the township butts up against Hanover borough(at the county line). So even the townships in York county that surround Hanover borough have a Hanover mailing address. As for schools in my area ,there are three different ones that students with Hanover mailing address go to depending on if they live in Hanover borough or one of the townships in York county or one of the townships in Adams county (my kids go to one in New Oxford borough Adams co). I won't even get started on Fire Dept districts/areas (I'm a Dept member too).Oh and my water bill comes from Hanover borough but the treatment plant is in Adams co. But as for the area you are looking at it appears to be a nice area from what I've read.
I have and still am considering relocating to western Pa at some point. I have friends in NW Pa and my dad is from Clarion and he would like to move back to the area ...I think (he's 79 now)

Old 05-30-2009, 12:52 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,427,878 times
Also, some boroughs can be larger than cities in terms of population:

Borough of State College: ~40,000
City of Sunbury: ~9,000
City of Lock Haven: ~9,000

Yeah, the PA system of municipalities can be confusing...but when I came there from Florida (which has just counties, cities, a rare town or two, and an occasional 'named unincorporated area')....I found it fun to see all the different townships, boroughs, etc. that PA had and that I had visited.

Just a basic run down for ya:

Townships: Unincorporated municipal areas within a county. Unlike most states, they have their own council, police dept., etc.

Villages: Organized settlements under the governance of townships. These are not fully independent of townships, but they have their own unique identity.

Towns: Well, there are only a couple, but the best way to describe them are as "semi- or incorporated townships"

Boroughs: Generally, small incorporated municipalities.

Cities: Generally, large incorporated municipalities.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:16 PM

26 posts, read 106,485 times
Thank you for that visual! It really did help, in New England we don't use all of that you either live in a town or city. Even my small town has a little government, it's own police and fire department. We have about 10,000 people. So your visual and explaination really did help. I guess then I should look at the school I want my children to attend and look for the boroughs or townships that, that certain school is in?
Thanks!

Old 05-30-2009, 02:33 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,427,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast3 View Post
Thank you for that visual! It really did help, in New England we don't use all of that you either live in a town or city. Even my small town has a little government, it's own police and fire department. We have about 10,000 people. So your visual and explaination really did help. I guess then I should look at the school I want my children to attend and look for the boroughs or townships that, that certain school is in?
Thanks!
Find a good school district...and odds are, you'll be in a good area. Keep in mind that school districts are weird...they extend beyond boundaries of different municipalities...and can include only parts of other municipalities. There is even the occasional circumstance when they include parts of multiple counties.

Here is an example of a good school district: the State College Area School district includes the Borough of State College, College Township, Patton Township, Ferguson Township, Halfmoon Township, and Harris Township.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:21 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,796,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast3 View Post
Thanks!
If the importance of the school district is utmost to you, then yes, find a good district (or two, or three, to keep your options open) and then determine the territory it/they covers. I'm sure it'll have a good range of possibilities for you to consider living in. Good luck hunting!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania