Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 07:58 AM

83 posts, read 292,958 times

Advertisements

Now I am getting very nervous as we were planning to come live in PA.
I teach part time in brooklyn as i am still on a child care leave. I am certified in elementary education.

I was hoping to eventually get a full time teaching position in PA. It seems there are very negative responses when i say that. Are there really NO positions anywhere in PA??? We re looking into moving in the Lehigh valley area, I am willing to drive a bit to work. I have taught in some horrible atmospheres here in brooklyn, and not that i want to do that again for the rest of my life but i know if i have to i can

What about subs? Does anyone know how much they get paid? How often do they need subs?

PLEASE anyone with any info would be GREAT to hear from.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 08:56 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,762 times
I don't know about the Lehigh Valley specifically, but my observations on teaching in the Philadelphia area:
- it is easier to find a position in an urban district than a suburban one
- a lot of districts would rather hire someone with limited experience; somebody with a masters and twelve years experience gets paid a lot more
- subbing is a good way to get one's foot in the door of a district (or districts); there seems to be fairly steady work for subs
- though the pay would be less, you might have a better chance getting hired at a private school

Old 10-20-2007, 09:40 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
I have friends that sub quite often. Our district uses a service that supplies the subs but the schools themselves have the option of calling someone directly. From what my friends have said, they get called 2 or three times a week from the schools themselves. One of these friends has and K-12 ed degree and is working on her masters. I know two new teachers in Allentown that just graduated from college in June, so there are jobs.

If you want to teach in PA, you need to get a PA certification; Teaching in PA (http://www.teaching.state.pa.us/teaching/taxonomy/taxonomy.asp?DLN=97 - broken link) Reciprocal agreements means they accept your degree but you still need certification here.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:44 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boys269 View Post
Now I am getting very nervous as we were planning to come live in PA.
I teach part time in brooklyn as i am still on a child care leave. I am certified in elementary education.

I was hoping to eventually get a full time teaching position in PA. It seems there are very negative responses when i say that. Are there really NO positions anywhere in PA??? We re looking into moving in the Lehigh valley area, I am willing to drive a bit to work. I have taught in some horrible atmospheres here in brooklyn, and not that i want to do that again for the rest of my life but i know if i have to i can

What about subs? Does anyone know how much they get paid? How often do they need subs?

PLEASE anyone with any info would be GREAT to hear from.

Thank you
The Cumberland Valley school district in central PA is going to undergo a major expansion in a couple years and I read in the newspaper they are going to be hiring a lot of new teachers.

It's funny you mention you're from Brooklyn, I went to school at Cumberland Valley and we had a hall monitor from Brooklyn, NYC accent and all....she was the nicest woman!

Old 10-20-2007, 10:04 AM

83 posts, read 292,958 times
Thank you thank you to all of you who responded to me.
You made me feel a lot better.
I am willing to sub, and would rather work part time anyway for awhile.

Accent? That 's so funny to me I guess I do have a brooklyn accent.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:39 AM

518 posts, read 2,531,479 times
teaching jobs are difficult to find in pa, especially if you do not know anybody in the district you are applying.
i dont know if you'd want to do this, but it is much easier to find a teaching job at an alternative education school. In western PA, they have Adelphoi Village which runs alternative education programs. i'm not sure where to look in eastern pa, but maybe search for alternative ed. schools and see what comes up.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:45 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,942,369 times
Subbing pays about $100 per day, more or less depending on the district. Many districts pay $20-25 more for a long term slot (20 days or more) and others give you the raise every day after the 20th, even if you are still day to day status. When you apply for license to teach, your degree and courses taken will be checked to make sure you have the "requireds" to teach here in PA. My personal experience was unique, but it all worked out in the end.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:22 AM

60 posts, read 375,516 times
What i have heard is that the teachers are a union, they have the ability to strike etc... because of this they get good pay and benefits, and not many other states can beat this. So teachers come here and stay here which limits turn over. There seems to be a long 'waiting list' to become a teacher in PA.

It makes for above average schools and great teaching positions.

One suggestion would be if you are just trying to move to PA, but dont really care if you work in PA, move near the border (NJ, PA, NY, DE) and work there.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:13 AM

518 posts, read 2,531,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion17 View Post
What i have heard is that the teachers are a union, they have the ability to strike etc... because of this they get good pay and benefits, and not many other states can beat this. So teachers come here and stay here which limits turn over. There seems to be a long 'waiting list' to become a teacher in PA.

It makes for above average schools and great teaching positions.

One suggestion would be if you are just trying to move to PA, but dont really care if you work in PA, move near the border (NJ, PA, NY, DE) and work there.
you are correct. teachers can strike, and one of the largest school districts in western pa is striking right now. the strike only has limited effectiveness though, since the state makes a date that the teachers are mandated to end their strike and get back in the classroom, whether they want to or not.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:56 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,659,872 times
There is a process and meetings before you can start....This was done in Sept. in the Lehigh area. Plenty of sub days available. On her first day my daughter was asked if she could take 6 full weeks!!! She is called constantly. You sign up for the schools you are willing to sub at, and get your foot in the door.......from there you'd probably go to full if you want to. She is throughly enjoying this after being an at home mom for some time.
It is a great job for a Mom who needs part time work. I think the pay was more then mentioned above.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania