Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 06:55 PM

28 posts, read 147,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Thanks for all the responses. But just curious who here lives in Lancaster County at this time? Or who has not so long ago. I have a few more questions.

Thank you
I know this thread is OLD, but I just found it today. I've lived in Lancaster all of my life, and I'm in my 50s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 07:56 PM

180 posts, read 702,043 times
I am in the process of moving from the Lancaster area now. Just to clarify-there are at least 3 wal marts in the county. 2 in lancaster and one in ephrata. they did not change any growth patterns already established in the county as far as I can see. there are lots of western Pennsylvania transplants there but many, many who have lived there their whole lives. some people commute to harrisburg, york, and philly but there are plenty of jobs right in lancaster so its not really necessary to commute out. its definietly not a "bedroom" community. the prices of houses have been going down from where they peaked in about the summer of 2005 when I bought. At that time, I had to buy in the city to stay under $200 but now I see lots of available houses under that all around the county. not "new" development but I find the older houses have so much more character. especially in lancaster. there are so many different types of architecture there and the craftsmanship in the old homes there can not be replicated the new vinyl-sided cardboard boxes they build now.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:03 PM

3 posts, read 8,815 times
Default Lancaster population

I assume you're asking if people are transient or not b/c you'd like to make some strong friendships, and don't want your neighbors moving all the time just as you get to know them. If friendship is important to you, I would NOT move to Lancaster county. I grew up here, moved away for years, and am recently back for my job, and plotting my escape. After living in other places, I can see how unfriendly people are here. My parents made the same observation years ago when they moved here. Everyone I meet who has moved here from another state or city (except, oddly enough, from New York), comments on how cold the locals are. I don't know if it's due to the influence of Amish culture-the Amish keep to themselves and are not very interested in the outside world (not necessarily a bad thing-I have a lot of respect for them), but most people in Lancaster county are suspicious of newcomers and don't have much interest in the world outside of Lancaster county. You may live next door to someone for years before being asked over for dinner. People choose to spend most of their time at home in front of their big TVs. I find it to be mind-numbing and spirit-crushing, and I live in Lancaster city, which is supposdely the most happening place in the county.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:37 PM

50 posts, read 229,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabblerouser1 View Post
I assume you're asking if people are transient or not b/c you'd like to make some strong friendships, and don't want your neighbors moving all the time just as you get to know them. If friendship is important to you, I would NOT move to Lancaster county. I grew up here, moved away for years, and am recently back for my job, and plotting my escape. After living in other places, I can see how unfriendly people are here. My parents made the same observation years ago when they moved here. Everyone I meet who has moved here from another state or city (except, oddly enough, from New York), comments on how cold the locals are. I don't know if it's due to the influence of Amish culture-the Amish keep to themselves and are not very interested in the outside world (not necessarily a bad thing-I have a lot of respect for them), but most people in Lancaster county are suspicious of newcomers and don't have much interest in the world outside of Lancaster county. You may live next door to someone for years before being asked over for dinner. People choose to spend most of their time at home in front of their big TVs. I find it to be mind-numbing and spirit-crushing, and I live in Lancaster city, which is supposdely the most happening place in the county.
I'll second that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania