Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 04:14 PM

87 posts, read 409,072 times

Advertisements

I can't believe how hard it has been for me to sell my house! It is in a good neighborhood, close for commuters on 83, close to the college/hospitals....totally updated inside....good school district. We've been through a few realtors already- all of whom tell me this house is "not a starter home" and that people who would be buying it (people who are ready to move up from the starter home) are just not buying right now int his economy as those loans are harder to get or some such. We really want to sell before the weather turns and school starts (I know, already missing that soon lol). I can't bear the thought of going another winter paying mortgage on a house we don't even live in anymore (we relocated to a neighboring state for a job).

I am looking for a glimmer of hope....do you think the market is picking up in York? Any opinion is welcome...I can take it lol.

I can give a link to the listing if you ask (can PM it if necessary)....I just don't want this to be considered spam or anything so I didn't include it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 07:45 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,690,845 times
I'm sure the rumors that Harley Davidson is leaving York aren't helping the housing market any.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:19 PM

889 posts, read 2,573,417 times
Trulia.com has great insights on sales trends by town. Here's a link for York. Look at the Stats & Trends, and play around with it.

York, PA real estate overview - Trulia.com

Old 08-07-2009, 12:58 AM

87 posts, read 409,072 times
Thanks for the replies I am sure that the Harley rumors (and the actual layoffs) are affecting Yorks housing. I am hoping to snag someone who works at the college or hospital since the house is soooo close to them. I have looked at the Trulia stats and the only problem I see is that we are in a weird price range- stuff lower than us is selling ok and some houses much higher are selling but in our range- not much. It is strange...

Old 08-07-2009, 06:08 AM

Here a place look for some more online tools:

Lifehacker - Top 10 Real Estate Search Tools - Real Estate

Old 08-07-2009, 06:17 AM

One more I have bookmarked that to look at on occasion:

Home Buying - Home Selling - Mortgage Rates - Relocation Guide - WSJ.com

Old 08-07-2009, 05:00 PM

200 posts, read 619,869 times
I have been looking at houses near 83 for months. It is pretty clear to me that the reason houses aren't selling well is because sellers are asking way too much. It is not 2006 anymore. But, the asking prices have not dropped significantly from those levels. Some people are even asking more than they bought their houses for just a few years ago. Insane!

I understand that nobody wants to lose money on their house, but if other buyers are like me, a good portion of the money I've been saving to buy a house was in the stock market and I lost almost 40% of it.

I think home sales activity is up slightly, though. One house I pass every day going to work appears to have finally sold after being on the market since at least February and the realtor having open houses nearly every weekend.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:00 PM

The true price of a home, is what a willing seller and a willing buyer agree on. If all you have is a willing seller and no buyer, well that's only getting halfway to the finish line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanling View Post
I have been looking at houses near 83 for months. It is pretty clear to me that the reason houses aren't selling well is because sellers are asking way too much.
They (the business press) call this sellers being in denial. Two good write ups on it:
Pricing Your Home in a Recovering Market - WSJ.com

Get Real With Your House Price - WSJ.com

Old 08-15-2009, 05:39 AM

200 posts, read 619,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanling View Post
One house I pass every day going to work appears to have finally sold after being on the market since at least February and the realtor having open houses nearly every weekend.
Oops... a new for sale sign just posted... with a new Realtor.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:52 AM

323 posts, read 834,868 times
Unfortunately, your realtors were correct. The PA housing market (and others) is now being driven by starter homes. On top of it being a buyers market, property taxes are increasing and some counties are reassessing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania