Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 01:24 PM

15 posts, read 70,373 times

Advertisements

I'll be graduating from college in Boston this month, and have just accepted a job in the Lehigh Valley. I'm excited about the professional aspects but a little worried about the socio-cultural side.

A little background about me: I'm from Brazil, have lived in huge cities my entire life. All my professional experiences have also been in cities like Boston, New York, and Paris. I can't imagine living in a place that doesn't run 20 to 24 hours a day, so I'd like to know what do people in their mid to late twenties do in Lehigh Valley? And who are they? (Grad students, professionals, artists, etc.?) Are there many or is the valley overrun by families and college students? Do they go into Philly often? New York? And what is there to do when you're not away for the weekend?

I know that the Lehigh Valley is host to a number of universities, but I don't really want my social life to revolve around an undergraduate lifestyle. Though I've loved my four years of college, I am ready to move on. All the same, I appreciate an intellectual environment.

To give you an idea of what I enjoy doing in Boston/NYC/etc.: eating at gourmet restaurants, independent film-viewing, visiting museums, lounge-type bars, etc.

Please feel free to dispel my preconceptions of small-town living!

Last edited by lolabelle; 05-04-2007 at 02:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 03:25 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
First off, Allentown is NOT a small town. Maybe a small city, but not a small town. It's an insult to small towns to say that.

I think you will find a few places similar to what you are used to but you won't have a lot of choices. I only know of one independent movie theater -
http://www.civictheatre.com/film/schedule.html (broken link). There are nice restaurants - more in Bethlehem then Allentown. There are a few museums. Lots of music and entertainment. I'm not up on the bar scene, but it's there. Instead of trying to look for the same things you might want to see what we have that's different.

Ever been to a drive in movie? We have two within 30 minutes of Allentown. How about outdoor festivals? Allentown hosts Mayfair in May, and Bethlehem has Musikfest in August and Chriskindlemart in December. Oh, and Celticfest in late September. There are community fairs all during the summer and into the fall at the surrounding small towns. And maybe you'll discover your outdoor side. Hiking, biking and canoeing are common activites. The Lehigh Valley is not NYC but then again, I don't think we want to be. I hope you are happy here.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:19 PM

Toobusy: Thanks for that info! I have not, as you may have guessed, ever been to a drive-in movie but that does sound like fun. Outdoor festivals are definitely great as well as many other kinds of outdoorsy activities. Is it true that you can go skiing every weekend in the winter? Is the skiing any good? (I hope it's better than in Vermont or New Hampshire—I've found it to be icy and overrated.) I think you're right that I have to think about the things living in a place like the Lehigh Valley affords you that city-life does not.

It's interesting that you note that there are more restaurants in Bethlehem than in Allentown. A future co-worker has recommended that I look for an apartment in Bethlehem. Can you, or anyone else, comment as to life in Bethlehem?

Also, please consider the questions I asked in my original post—i.e. what do twenty-somethings do there; and who are they for the most part (yuppies, artists, grad students, etc)?

Old 05-04-2007, 06:22 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
lolabelle, Hmmm, I think we need some twenty somethings to answer. My daughter is twenty two and when she comes home on breaks (she goes to college in IL, will graduate this spring) she and her friends go to the bookstores, coffee shops, movies, vegetarian restaurants and kayaking at nearby state park. She's not into the bar scene, nor are her friends. Interestingly, she is considering living in a big city after she teaches in China for a year. Her reason is that it would be easier to meet people her age.

She has two friends that are staying in the area and recently graduated college. One is working for a nearby conservation wildlife center and the other one will be working at the local tv station. I know a few teachers that are in their twenties and a couple of engineers that work at Air Products. And lots of grad students from Lehigh.

The north side of Bethlehem is just alot cuter then Allentown. It's got little independent shops and an excellent bookstore. Great bars and restaurants. A college right in town so there are plays and music all the time. Bethlehem hosts the cool festivals. Musikfest is pretty crazy but lively and exciting.

Allentown is kind of gritty and blue collar. I've only walked in downtown Allentown three times 1) to serve on a jury 2) to see a Linda McCartney exhibit at the museum and 3) to go to a lecture at the public library.
OTOH, I go to Bethlehem several times a year with my girlfriends, my husband and my kids.

No, you can't ski every weekend and it's probably not better the New England. Sorry about that. But skiing is close and if you get the snow when it's fresh it won't be real icy. Stay away from the Lehigh area of Bethlehem, that's the sort of not good area.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:11 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Congrats on the job, lolabelle,

I don't believe you're going to find everything you're looking for in the Lehigh Valley. After all, any place is hard to compare to Manhattan where you can get any sort of international cuisine at any hour of the day, but you'll find somewhat of the cosmopolitan living you're looking for if you look hard enough. Bethlehem is a bit more "culturally astute" than Allentown, but the A-B-E (Allentown-Bethelehem-Easton) metro area has a lot offer in the way of clubs, coffee houses, bars, dining and entertainment. As a 20 year-old myself, I can relate to the desire for non-stop action, so I hope a positive assessment coming from a peer will satisfy what you're looking for. Also, whatever you cannot find in the the immediate area you can access in a relatively short drive to Philly or NYC. Here is a website that will hopefully give you an idea of what living here would entail:

http://www.lehighvalleypa.org/

Good luck!

Old 05-05-2007, 12:01 PM

Thanks again Toobusy & Duderino—your info has really been invaluable.

As I said, some of my future co-workers have urged me to live in Bethlehem, and hearing you validate the idea that Bethlehem is the more "culturally astute" place in the Lehigh Valley has pretty much convinced me. Thanks, also, Toobusy, for specifically pointing out that I probably don't want to live right next to Lehigh U. North Bethlehem seems set to be my place to live!

Would anyone have any information on how much rent for an apartment (1 bedroom) would cost in North Bethlehem? Are utilities usually included in rents there? Do you recommend using a realtor or is Craig's List the way to go?

Furthermore, I'll be doing a six-month trainee session in L.A. before moving to Pennsylvania, so will buy a car there. I've never had a car and have dreamed of getting a Mini-Cooper, which would work great in California. Would such a car be impractical in Pennsylvania winters?

Duderino: Another question—are you a college student there or just a local who comes back from school on holidays? I ask because I want to know how often people go into New York or Philly—and please answer honestly. If you don't go in that often, or don't know many people who do, I'd like to know. And if so, tell me why they don't (or do). Thank you!

Old 05-05-2007, 02:16 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolabelle View Post
Duderino: Another question—are you a college student there or just a local who comes back from school on holidays? I ask because I want to know how often people go into New York or Philly—and please answer honestly. If you don't go in that often, or don't know many people who do, I'd like to know. And if so, tell me why they don't (or do). Thank you!
Well, I am actually a local to the general area (from south of Allentown, north of Philly) who does come back from college for holidays and such, so perhaps that skews my answer a little, but I know among my home friends who attend college all over Eastern PA that going to either city is a popular thing to do -- especially Philadelphia -- at least once every few months. Nevertheless, it really depends on one's tastes. A lot of people like the clubbing, shopping and music scenes that are hard to find outside of big cities, so those who are more into that will put forth the effort to make those trips more often. It's certainly feasible to do even once or twice a month, and there are people who do. I hope that gives you at least some insight, because it really does depend on the person.

With regard to purchasing a Mini Cooper, I don't necessarily think that would a bad choice for PA's winters. Once every few years there is a substantial snow storm, but that really debilitates almost everyone without a 4X4 -- so I don't think you would be at an unusual disadvantage in that circumstance.

Also, here is an apartment website for the Bethlehem area which appears to be helpful:

http://bethlehempa.usl.myareaguide.com/apartments.html

Old 05-10-2007, 03:37 PM

4 posts, read 15,235 times
Default I am also moving to Lehigh

I have also accepted a job in Bethlehem and likewise interested in knowing what there is to do up there. I am coming in from Nashville, TN, and even though Nashville is known primarily for country music(of which I abhor), there are pockets in the city, around Vanderbilt University, that are very trendy with art galleries, coffee shops, etc. I hope to find something equal in Bethlehem.

I am also trying to get away from the undergraduate college lifestyle and more towards a professional lifestyle, being as how I am thirty years old. But there is something to be said about any area that has a strong university setting with its currents of openminded ideas and intellect. I'll continue to check back on this post to see what ideas are posted.

Ash

Old 05-10-2007, 10:10 PM

Hey Aj, Nice to see I'm not going to be the new only new person on the block in Bethlehem.

Would any one else have anything to say about life for people in their twenties but not in college in the Lehigh Valley/Bethlehem?

Old 05-11-2007, 05:46 AM

8 posts, read 47,368 times
You can get drive mini in PA no problem. You might get a set of winter wheels and tires. A lot of small FWD car drivers do this. Worry about it in October or November. GOOD Winter tires and steel wheels will run about $500 for a cooper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley