Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 10:07 AM

16 posts, read 48,252 times

Advertisements

I was fired from a job of 14 years. This is a very common thing these days. I have been going through the different fhases, upset, worried and now mad. I have been wondering why after this many years and nothing in my personel file I was fired for my productivity? I was never told that my work performance was not up to par nor was I couched. My understanding is my company had a PIP (performance Improvement Plan) This is to happen once your performance is not up to plan. Once you are given a PIP you are then coached to help with your productivity. This never happened. Also in July of this year I was asked if I would consider going full time. I have been working part time since I started with this company. My family life does not allow me to work full time. I had to decline and my boss was not upset but when I was fired this was also brought up. Does any one know if I have any case against my employer? I know PA is a right to work state and they could fire me for anything they want but if they have policies and they are not followed is this right?

Need some advice....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 10:26 AM

563 posts, read 929,799 times
I don't know all the laws about this but it doesn't sound to me like you have a case. But by all means, if you think you do, file and try it. There's so many laid off nowadays that I don't think much will come of it but it's worth a try.
Sorry, but I think not going full time might have been the kicker. Businesses are really struggling and the people they keep and pay are those that will work more time for less requirements. That's a sad fact of our culture. I'm sure you are a hard worker and it sounds like you enjoyed your job, but my take of it is that they want a person that will do whatever it takes to get the work done.
I've seen people at my business get let go with well over 20 years experience. A few weeks later, there's a new person doing their job for way less money, and working way more hours.
Hope you find something, I know it's hard out there. Good luck.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:54 AM

The good thing is that I'm able to collect because the company had nothing to prove that my work performance was not up to par. Everyone keeps telling me that I'm nuts if I don't get a lawyer and go after them for discharging me with out following the company policy. Also My boss is being selective on who he writes up.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:31 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Sometimes when life moves you on, you should take up the offer.

Most businesses out there have seen a loss of business and hence had to cut back. The company my BIL worked for here in PA, basically closed down their factory and cut 90% of the employees. A core group of them were given offers to work at another factory a few hours away which my BIL took. He's just glad to have a job.

I wouldn't bother wasting your time pursuing anything even if they were in the wrong, you aint getting you job back likely and even if you did would you want to work for them again? I'd ask for a nice reference and start looking for another job.

Ultimately no matter what the government puts in place in regards to legislation and whatever company policy is, personally as a business owner you have the right to let anyone go when you want. I'd never open a business in a state where I couldn't do that. Sometimes they are poor employees, sometimes you have to cut expenses. Ultimately you have to stay in business.

I think also sometimes with employees that have been there a long time they can be a bit stagnant and can get a bit lazy. Sometimes it's good to move people on, for your own and their benefit.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
You don't have a case.

Clearly, the company wanted to make your position full time. Since you chose to only work part time, the employer had every right to let you go.

After being there for 14 years, you probably made more per hour than your replacement. It's just a win/win for them.

Never feel like you have rights to employment. You don't. Your rights are very limited.

It seems this could be a good lesson for you. Next time you will be more willing to accomodate the needs of future employers---knowing you could lose your job if you refuse.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchar View Post
Everyone keeps telling me that I'm nuts if I don't get a lawyer and go after them for discharging me with out following the company policy.
You won't win anything except possibly the right to return to work. Then they could follow company policy and let you go for whatever reason they want. They could just turn around and let you go because they're cutting back and not even mention your productivity. In Pennsylvania, employers have the right to terminate an employee for no reason whatsoever.

Quote:
Also My boss is being selective on who he writes up.
That would only be relevant if the favoritism was for women who sleep with him, but you you'd have to prove he was sleeping with the women who received favoritism.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:44 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times
Quote:
I was fired from a job of 14 years. This is a very common thing these days. I have been going through the different fhases, upset, worried and now mad. I have been wondering why after this many years and nothing in my personel file I was fired for my productivity? I was never told that my work performance was not up to par nor was I couched. My understanding is my company had a PIP (performance Improvement Plan) This is to happen once your performance is not up to plan. Once you are given a PIP you are then coached to help with your productivity. This never happened. Also in July of this year I was asked if I would consider going full time. I have been working part time since I started with this company. My family life does not allow me to work full time. I had to decline and my boss was not upset but when I was fired this was also brought up. Does any one know if I have any case against my employer? I know PA is a right to work state and they could fire me for anything they want but if they have policies and they are not followed is this right?

Need some advice....

Sorry to hear of your situation & experience.

If I were you, I'd ask for a letter of recommendation. Since it was only about lack of availability, it shouldn't be a problem.

It wouldn't hurt to go there in person, present your request in writing. In your written request, ask for a response in writing. Of course you're already asking for a letter of recommendation (writing) but the point is that the letter may not be forthcoming, hence the written response is requested whether it's a recommendation or not.

Best wishes to you,

Kate

Old 11-10-2009, 12:53 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,352,080 times
That's tough, and I mean this in the most "non-jerk" way possible...but honestly, life is way too short to let its complications bring you down. Figure out what you want to do, then take some time off to cool down and unwind if you're able to. Enjoy the little things, maybe take a road trip or start a hobby that you've always wanted to but haven't had to time for. Try to enjoy the free time that you have at the moment and make the most of it. You'll land another job eventually and life always has a way of working itself out after a while.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You don't have a case.

Clearly, the company wanted to make your position full time. Since you chose to only work part time, the employer had every right to let you go.

After being there for 14 years, you probably made more per hour than your replacement. It's just a win/win for them.

Never feel like you have rights to employment. You don't. Your rights are very limited.

It seems this could be a good lesson for you. Next time you will be more willing to accomodate the needs of future employers---knowing you could lose your job if you refuse.
This is not lesson for me. I was expected to produce as a full time employee and for many years I was able too. I work from home and my company is out of state. I am a very motivated worker and unless you have been in a sales job where you are given no leads because the company has cut back on advertising you will never know. As far as the Full time bit, I was contracted to work part time when they hired me. I am the lowest paid because they did not have to pay my health care. They had it made with me.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:03 PM

Thanks, I know what you mean. My husband keeps telling me to just relax and take it easy. I'm just so mad. I loved my job and I trained most of the people that are still working. I was one of 4 people that are the oldest employees with the company. The company didn't even have to pay my health care. Nuts...well I have to look forward I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania