Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2006, 10:08 AM

9 posts, read 48,356 times

Advertisements

How is the Watsontown,Pa area to live....Hospitals also would help in case of emergency...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2006, 04:04 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
vetteforme
Try this link: //www.city-data.com/city/Watson...nsylvania.html
I know there is a very good hospital in Danville.
I have never been there but I would also like some information.
I hope the link helps.
Don

Old 07-26-2006, 05:25 PM

221 posts, read 994,193 times
Default Nice Place!

Watsontown is a little bitty town of about 2,300 souls, that sits along the West Branch of the Susquehanna River. Most of Main Street looks like Mayberry, and the town still only has two stoplights. The local school district is Warrior Run, and the kiddos can still walk to the lovely Watsontown Elementary School. It's a good district. It's not Buck's County, but, still, good. There is a community pool and park at the other end of town and a movie theatre. Every June they have a great volunteer fireman's carnival- Americana at its finest! It is a VERY rural area, but Rt. 15 is a skip away- which will take you south to Lewisburg (Evangelical Community Hospital, Bucknell University, cute Main Street and shops, flea markets) or north to Williamsport (Little League World Series [South W.], Lycoming College, more shopping, nightlife, Divine Providence Hospital). You are also a skip away from Rt. 80, which will take you to NJ and CA! Danville is east on 80- where the region's biggest hospital is- Geisenger Medical Center. If you are broken- they have everything to fix you there. Also, you'll hit Bloomsburg (state university is there), so come to the annual Bloom Fair! There is a terrific family amusement park near, too- free admission and free parking. Paradise, if you have little ones.

If you enjoy outdoors stuff- fishing, hunting- you'll be in heaven. The beautiful Montour Preserve is about 20 minutes away. You can boat, picnic, walk, and generally explore nature. Great place. The mountains are not far, either. Living in that area is fairly cheap. The problem is, of course, there are not too many places to work. If you can get something- it's a cute little town. Please note that you are NOT near a big city, so cultural diversity and ammenities, for the most part, do not exist. They have busy train tracks that drive everyone crazy, but I guess you get used to that. The Lycoming and Susquehanna Malls are about 25 minutes away.

I think it is a great place to raise a family (they have about 5 churches in town). I just think that, like any small, small town- the trick to raising a family in a town like this is: what happens to the kiddos when they are 15- and have "nothing to do"? I know that is true everywhere, but, remember- this is an itty bitty town. It's nice, though! Hope this helps!

Old 07-26-2006, 07:53 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
oldiebutgoodie25
Thanks for the great review.
How would the area be for a retiree?
Don

Old 07-27-2006, 05:24 PM

221 posts, read 994,193 times
Default Watsontown

It depends on what you like to do. If you crave culture, museums, twelve different kinds of radio stations, cultural diversity, a fast-paced life, the lastest, um, anything!- you would probably find W. very, very dull. It is a small, small town. Life goes at a snail's pace- but I do not mean that in a negative way. If you look at the surrounding areas, there are actually MANY things to do. Lewisburg is home to Bucknell University, so you have concerts and lectures there. Williamsport has Lycoming College, and there is Bloomsburg U. and Susquehanna U., all within driving distance, so it is not a total cultural void. I think that if you enjoy the outdoors, it is nice. Lots to do. What is nice is, if you are retired, there are opportunities to GO other places that are not too far away. Check out the local papers- the Sunbury Daily Item, the Milton Standard. There is ALWAYS something going on. Maybe slower-paced things, but, still, you won't be bored.

I'm not sure about the cost of housing, specifically. Some have told me it is high, but, compared to other places- uh-uh. Not even close. Check out a local realtor.

I grew up there- and enjoyed being a kid there. Couldn't WAIT to leave at 18, of course, but it's not as bad as I thought. I still think of it as Mayberry. There is little crime, and the area is beautiful- rolling green hills, the rounded mts. in the distance- gorgeous. I never got the impression that it was an old industrial town that had seen better days (like Milton, right down the road). Check it out, if you can. It's a cute little town. Retire there- I would recommend it. Again, it depends on what you want to do. If a busy, busy life is what you want- then, no, you won't enjoy Watsontown.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,685 times
Default Cost of Living, Rent etc in Watsontown area

Hello this might be an odd sounding question, we live in new hampshire and will be moving to the area, on the average in this part of NH a 3 bedroom apartment would go for 1100 - 1400 a month nothing included, the security deposit would be the same as a months rent, these are your decent apartments, when i see apartments listed for this part of Pennsylvania for under 500.00 a month for a 3- 4 bedroom apartment and around 700. for a whole house, are these places nice? or would they be in rough neighborhoods. How much are utilities on the average in the area? any info will help
thank you

Old 12-03-2008, 09:15 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,201 times
For Watsontown and surrounding areas you can expect those prices to be average for nice rentals in good neighborhoods. Sometimes utilities are included in the rent and sometimes not. Heat and electric in the winter usually run about $200 per month or less, depending on your type of heating system. Cable can be from $25 per month on up, depending on what you get, and basic telephone is around $25 per month on up also. You'll have to have a waste hauler for garbage also, as that is not included with taxes or other fees.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:07 AM

1 posts, read 4,478 times
To Oldiebutgodie26, it's the Watsontown I remember, were I lived as an exchange AFS student on 1965-1966. I'm glad that still is a nice little town. Only tonight, almost 3 years later I readed your reply to Vetteforme.
Raul Fernandez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania