Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:21 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Most of the Pennsylvanians I know who wear beards and hunt deer have lived within the city of Pittsburgh all their lives.

Stereotypes get you nowhere.
You need to take a road trip to Central PA if you want to see beards and camo, also hang out around the woods in Potter County the Monday after Thanksgiving and you will see beardopolis. Then get in an argument with one of them while sitting in a tree stand what's better camo Realtree or Mossy oak lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 07:13 AM

167 posts, read 354,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
You need to take a road trip to Central PA if you want to see beards and camo, also hang out around the woods in Potter County the Monday after Thanksgiving and you will see beardopolis. Then get in an argument with one of them while sitting in a tree stand what's better camo Realtree or Mossy oak lol.

The monday after Thanksgiving we care very little about camo. It's flourescent orange time.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:54 PM

128 posts, read 295,177 times
Default awesome comments

I am originally from "CENTRAL PA" I now live in Alaska. I just thought I'd check in the PA forum to see what is going on. Most of the comments on central PA are "right on" hickville even, definitely. Amish country would be another one, maybe I missed it somewhere. I don't often get homesick, but just reading all the posts about central PA, made me laugh. Thanks I almost felt like I was there for a few minutes. My 2 cents now!!!!!!!!
Central PA is lacking jobs, factories have closed and wages, stink. But, I would have to say it's a safe place to live. And being hicks, if we aren't safe because of you, your gonna know it. Just having a little fun from Alaska. Keep on going now I like reading it all.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:32 AM

37 posts, read 117,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I don't think it's necessary to inject politics into this thread -- that's a whole other can of worms.

From what I've seen, there's a lot of stereotyping going on here, which is a bit sad. Some of it may be a little justified, but I suspect most of it is not. Personally, coming from the largest urban area of PA, rural PA is largely overlooked and shunned. On the other hand, I sense a lot of animosity coming from the rural areas towards the urban areas, as well. .

AMEN!!!! Internet discourse would be improved 1000% if people would just leave politics out of where it doesn't belong. I give most of the blame to a generation of various populist right wing media mouths. It's not that the left wingers aren't equally as looney and obnoxious, it's just that there aren't as many of them and there aren't as many outlets whipping them into an politics obsessed mindframe at all times.

I also don't understand why people are so touchy these days about remarks and terms of their geographical origin. I grew up in the anthracite coal region of PA. People outside of our region always referred to us as "coal crackers." We never took that as an insult and answered "yes" with pride if someone asked us if we were one. When I heard Carville's remark, I thought it was pretty funny and not so off-the-mark.

I'm assuming from your remarks that you are from the Philly area. I don't know how things are these days since I've spent most of my adult life in other parts of the country, but the whole state seemed to hate Philly (at least the city) when I was young. I never detected any of the same animosity towards Pittsburgh even when I lived in Western PA for a few years. Even so, people still liked to go to Philly for events and Phillly was a reasonably popular location for attending college. I didn't detect much "shunning" of upstate areas from my Philly friends. Mostly I just think they didn't think about upstate much but were generally pleased with those areas when they visited.

I went to college in Philly and will always have an affection for the place, but despite its peculiar charms, it can be a godawful city on a number of dimensions: high crime, high taxes, strained services, poor (but maybe improving) public schools, dirty, and expensive housing (particularly when you consider the housing quality). The city has a decent but not great (nowhere near as good as Chicago) public transportation system.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lombardsouth View Post
AMEN!!!! Internet discourse would be improved 1000% if people would just leave politics out of where it doesn't belong. I give most of the blame to a generation of various populist right wing media mouths. It's not that the left wingers aren't equally as looney and obnoxious, it's just that there aren't as many of them and there aren't as many outlets whipping them into an politics obsessed mindframe at all times.

I also don't understand why people are so touchy these days about remarks and terms of their geographical origin. I grew up in the anthracite coal region of PA. People outside of our region always referred to us as "coal crackers." We never took that as an insult and answered "yes" with pride if someone asked us if we were one. When I heard Carville's remark, I thought it was pretty funny and not so off-the-mark.

I'm assuming from your remarks that you are from the Philly area. I don't know how things are these days since I've spent most of my adult life in other parts of the country, but the whole state seemed to hate Philly (at least the city) when I was young. I never detected any of the same animosity towards Pittsburgh even when I lived in Western PA for a few years. Even so, people still liked to go to Philly for events and Phillly was a reasonably popular location for attending college. I didn't detect much "shunning" of upstate areas from my Philly friends. Mostly I just think they didn't think about upstate much but were generally pleased with those areas when they visited.

I went to college in Philly and will always have an affection for the place, but despite its peculiar charms, it can be a godawful city on a number of dimensions: high crime, high taxes, strained services, poor (but maybe improving) public schools, dirty, and expensive housing (particularly when you consider the housing quality). The city has a decent but not great (nowhere near as good as Chicago) public transportation system.

So you claim the internet would be better with less politics and then you segway right into a political rant?

Old 03-02-2010, 06:44 PM

43,281 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Pennsyltucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From Wikipedia: "Pennsyltucky is the name of the ship in the 1942 Popeye cartoon 'Baby Wants a Bottleship'"
Predates Carville, I believe.

"Central Pennsylvania" works for me. The ridges and valleys on a misty morning are nothing less than splendid.
I drove PA26 from Huntingdon through MacAlevy's Fort to Pine Grove Mills and then PA45 from Pine Grove Mills to Lewisburg starting at the crack of dawn in mid-summer a few years ago.
As the sun rose and burned off the fog, the verdant farms and valleys revealed before me were nothing less than breathtaking.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAblackbear View Post
So you claim the internet would be better with less politics and then you segway right into a political rant?
Anyone who doesn't believe that nitwits obsessed by political ideology (of both sides) have contributed significantly to the deterioration of contemporary discourse (particularly web discourse) must likely be one. The fact that you concentrated only on the first few lines of a four paragraph response, that were unrelated to the primary subject matter of the post, pretty much speaks for itself.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Oh, and by the way, there is no such word as "segway." The word is "segue."

Old 03-03-2010, 03:30 PM

Thanks teacher.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:59 PM

55 posts, read 155,075 times
Quote:
Thanks teacher.
Oh I just love it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania