Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 01:52 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,424,675 times

Advertisements

I actually just have a general question. Who here thinks that Corbett being one of the 10 state AGs about to file a lawsuit against the US Government will eventually turn around and bite him in the rear come election time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 03:33 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,762,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
I actually just have a general question. Who here thinks that Corbett being one of the 10 state AGs about to file a lawsuit against the US Government will eventually turn around and bite him in the rear come election time?
Actually, I think that will help him. On that note, I hope he's doing this based on his own convictions, and not just to win favor from those who are opposed to President Obama's health care reform.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Actually, I think that will help him. On that note, I hope he's doing this based on his own convictions, and not just to win favor from those who are opposed to President Obama's health care reform.
It certainly stinks of it...and he's not the only AG suing that's running for governor...both the AGs of Florida and Michigan are as well.

I just think in states like PA (and MI, for that matter) where unions, particularly industrial ones, have a very large presence...it just doesn't help to go against healthcare with those blue collar dems.

Just a thought anyways.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:19 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,622,085 times
Quote:
He doesn't seem to do anything on his own convictions. Even bonusgate reeks of political opportunism. He should either step down and run for office or not run for office altogether. He will certainly not have my vote.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
It certainly stinks of it...and he's not the only AG suing that's running for governor...both the AGs of Florida and Michigan are as well.

I just think in states like PA (and MI, for that matter) where unions, particularly industrial ones, have a very large presence...it just doesn't help to go against healthcare with those blue collar dems.

Just a thought anyways.
Those old-school Democrats have been a dying breed for at least a couple of decades now, at least in Pennsylvania. Their influence is eroding.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Those old-school Democrats have been a dying breed for at least a couple of decades now, at least in Pennsylvania. Their influence is eroding.
Eh, they are still the ones that swing elections in PA though. From Pittsburgh to Erie and the Lehigh Valley area. If they go red, the state goes red, if they go blue, the state goes blue.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Eh, they are still the ones that swing elections in PA though. From Pittsburgh to Erie and the Lehigh Valley area. If they go red, the state goes red, if they go blue, the state goes blue.
Technically, a 2% swing can mean the difference between a Republican and a Democrat. A group doesn't have to be huge in order to be influential.

The Brookings Institute did a study on Pennsylvania politics two years ago, and they came to the conclusion that it might not be a "Rust Belt" state anymore. Basically, Pennsylvania is more like New Jersey than Ohio these days. (Be that as it may, the New Jersey gubernatorial elections last year prove that being more like them isn't necessarily a slam dunk for Democrats.)

Old 03-23-2010, 05:48 PM

24,422 posts, read 23,084,509 times
I think it will help him as well. I think that's a major reason he wasted no time in doing what he did.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Technically, a 2% swing can mean the difference between a Republican and a Democrat. A group doesn't have to be huge in order to be influential.

The Brookings Institute did a study on Pennsylvania politics two years ago, and they came to the conclusion that it might not be a "Rust Belt" state anymore. Basically, Pennsylvania is more like New Jersey than Ohio these days. (Be that as it may, the New Jersey gubernatorial elections last year prove that being more like them isn't necessarily a slam dunk for Democrats.)
Yeah but they seem to be the core group that swings PA, is my point.... and PA is a giant clash of things. W and NW PA is still rust belt, SE PA is NJ, E PA and NE PA is a mix of the two, C and S PA are like MD and VA, SW PA is like WV, and N PA is a less populated version of S Upstate NY. There's a reason it's called the Keystone State!

Old 03-24-2010, 08:44 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,344,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
He doesn't seem to do anything on his own convictions. Even bonusgate reeks of political opportunism. He should either step down and run for office or not run for office altogether. He will certainly not have my vote.
Agreed. He has become a flagwaver and hasn't met a camera he didn't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania