Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 08:49 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Re the question on seasons: the Panhandle does get cold in the winter - in fact, it will snow/ice on average once every 5 years. I'm unclear if leaves change color there
Some trees like Turkey Oak, Blackgum, or Sweetgum will have decent fall color, but most trees are pines, Live oaks, or Laurel Oaks which stay green nearly all year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 07:57 AM

52 posts, read 79,030 times
I've lived here for about a year after moving from Pennsylvania. In my opinion I would take Florida over NC for the weather. We weren't able to get in the water all year round but we were able to be at the beach to hang out and play in the sand and relax every month but December. It got very cold here last winter, from what the locals tell me it was extremely abnormal. But you do get "seasons" on the panhandle. The past few days have been cooler and I'm able to sleep with the windows open at night and give the air conditioning a break. If I had to choose again though I wouldn't choose Pensacola, I'd be further south where I can swim all year round or over in the Destin area. You mentioned Gulf Breeze, it's a much safer area than Pensacola. If you do choose Pensacola try to find something in the NE section, that seems to be the safest area. As for your question about the size of Pensacola, it's really all relative to what you're used to. The whole metro area actually has a couple hundred thousand people. I come from a small town of 4,000 people so this is a big area to me and the traffic drives me nuts. To others it's a small area and the traffic is nothing. I have to say one of the biggest draws, and what brough me here, is the beautiful beaches, the water is gorgeous and clear and the white sand is so beautiful, but you don't have to deal with a ton of tourists like other areas I've been too, even in July if you time it right you can avoid traffic getting to the beach. Have you looked in to the Fort Walton Beach, Destin, or Panama City areas? They have the gorgeous beaches, are safer with much lower crime rates, and the school districts are much better if that would be a consideration for you.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:34 PM

5 posts, read 19,139 times
I'm a newcomer to the Pensacola area who lived in Charlotte for many years and visited Wilmington. As someone who has relocated quite a bit in her life, I would highly recommend spending a long weekend in each city; they have very different vibes.

That said, I would personally pick Wilmington. Pensacola beaches are gorgeous, but I've found that's not enough to make up for the lack of... shall I call it "civilization"? Pensacola is a decent sized town but the economy seems to have taken a beating in recent decades and I constantly find myself saying, "Don't they have a _____ here?" and find the nearest ___ is in Mobile or something. And Wilmington has a charming, walkable downtown. As for traffic, I don't think it's any better or worse than the Wilmington area. And while Wilmington is slightly closer to major metropolitan areas, I don't know that there's a huge advantage over Pensacola in that regard.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:42 PM

153 posts, read 308,938 times
In response to someone complaining Pensacola doesn't have a Trader Joe's: Pensacola has a wonderful food cooperative: Ever'mans. When I moved out of Pensacola and to an area that had a few Trader Joe's, I truly missed Ever'mans. I didn't understand why everyone raved about Trader Joe's. Ever'man rules.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:29 PM

46 posts, read 75,451 times
I lived just outside Pensacola for almost 10 years working as a Realtor and mostly working with military relocations. Many ... many of my clients couldn't wait to leave Pensacola, because apart from the beaches, the area doesn't have a whole lot else going for it. I would strongly suggest you take a weeks vacation and have a good look around for yourself. After 10 years I couldn't wait to leave! We moved down to near Tampa where we've been for 4 years, but we're over the Florida experience and are now looking to relocate out of state.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:27 AM

1 posts, read 5,167 times
We moved to Pensacola 16 years ago with the Navy, then were blessed to find a Civil Service job for my husband when he separated from the military. We have 4 children and lived in the Perdido Area. Loved it. Had a great neighborhood that was quiet, yet we were 5 minutes from the beach, 20 minutes from downtown, 30 minutes from the airport. It's all what you make Of it. We had a great life there (on one average income). Don't let the negative deter you from living in Pensacola especially on the Westside. There's so much that has moved in (business), and there are hiking trails, great local restaurants, a nice historic village and children's museum downtown, and night life (if you're looking for it). The most expense we had was insurance(car, house and flood). 7.5%county tax was on retail with no food tax. It all evens out though and if you're young and starting out it is a great place to grow. Lots of free local things to do.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:01 PM

34 posts, read 124,389 times
Publix may be the premier grocery chain here, but it ain't no "Wegmans of the south". Other than great seafood here in P'cola, Grocers and restaurants are sorely lacking in quality.
This is my only minor issue with P'cola, and I think it'll grow up someday so I'm staying.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:39 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post

It is important to note that they call this area the Redneck Riviera for a reason. Many parts of the panhandle are more like southern Alabama.
If you didn't mention "the Redneck Riviera" part, I would think you were talking about the weather and the climate. I'm not trying to start an argument, but I'm curious why I see this comment so much and what it means. Is there something wrong with the people of Alabama? Everyone I meet is polite and friendly. I do agree with you, however, that most of the panhandle is similar to the Eastern Shore of Alabama. However, I grew up in the Greater Boston Area and, when I moved to New Hampshire, I said "it's full of rednecks" and that's a loooong way from Alabama!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post

As I tell anyone who posts this same idea, visit, visit, visit.
I totally agree, but visiting usually doesn't give you the whole story. With all the info on the internet, visiting plus doing a lot of homework (like reading local newspapers online) will be helpful. People are in a different state of mind when they're on vacation or traveling.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:19 PM

317 posts, read 825,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
If you didn't mention "the Redneck Riviera" part, I would think you were talking about the weather and the climate. I'm not trying to start an argument, but I'm curious why I see this comment so much and what it means. Is there something wrong with the people of Alabama? Everyone I meet is polite and friendly. I do agree with you, however, that most of the panhandle is similar to the Eastern Shore of Alabama.
It's a nickname for area. The area used draw a lot of people from the Midwest and South. I believe it comes from those who have historically used the area as a vacation destination, not the inhabitants.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:42 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnittany View Post
It's a nickname for area. The area used draw a lot of people from the Midwest and South. I believe it comes from those who have historically used the area as a vacation destination, not the inhabitants.
Oh, I know that. This is my 3rd time visiting Alabama. I was only responding to a post that seemed like a warning and pointing out that many people I meet have a stereotype of Alabamians in their heads and picture yokels who are uneducated and don't have teeth.

Anyway, if a Redneck is someone who has his own Reality Show and makes millions, I want to be one too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola