Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 09:19 AM

27 posts, read 26,156 times

Advertisements

doing a little research for my kid - recently stationed to Eglin and is thinking of buying a tiny home to put on a small lot (w/hook ups) or parking it in an RV camp.

reasoning behind tiny home vs. apt - job requires a lot of training initially and will doing a lot of outside sales traveling type work-enough to come home do laundry/clean and then hit the road again.

my question to the community is:
1. is a tiny home reasonable in the P'cola/FWB area.
2. pricing/availability of real estate/small plot of land < acre-1/2 acre
3. availability of RV communities that would accept a "tiny home"
4. imagining - hurricanes would be a hitch it up and drive off thing - but of course traffic is a issue during evacs.
5. tiny home sellers in the area.

OR does anyone have other ideas for vagabond living as above???

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 11:06 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
Land is too valuable south of Eglin reservation for tiny homes and even a lot of the remaining mobile home parks are being bought out for redevelopment. Depending on land budget, search your real estate web site of choice for lots in the Crestview, Baker, and Mossy Head areas north of Eglin reservation. (Laurel Hill and points beyond would make for a quite far commute nad is getting far from I-10)

I'm not overly familiar with the details, but suspect Mossy Head would have the laxest zoning. If the home is legally classified as a mobile home, its also probably going to have to meet HUD windstorm code to be hooked to utilities and such, even if you plan to drive it out for storms.

Old 12-25-2017, 02:24 PM

thanks for the info Beachmouse - I'll take a look at the areas mentioned and see how things look. I don't know what the classification would be - another area to research.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:06 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
I don't understand the appeal of tiny houses when they're built on a utility trailer frame. You can find nice used travel trailers on craigslist for around $7k, just find an RV park that allows extended rentals.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:46 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,605 times
Well, sort of...... Yes, you can move a tiny house and they will stand up to a couple of moves. After that, things will start to go wrong.

If you look at the tiny houses in the shows, there's all those open shelves, things hanging on the walls, etc. All the stuff that's in and on that open storage has to be stowed somewhere safe during movement. Sometimes you'll see tiled bath surrounds.....yikes! that tile will start popping off the wall in no time at all after a long trip. There's a good reason that shower enclosures in RVs are made of fiberglass or plastic; it "flexes". The lovely siding on the side of the tiny home will start coming loose.

Those $30,000-$40,000-$50,000 tiny houses on trailer frames are going to be expensive pieces of junk in no time at all if they're moved often.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:50 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,520,526 times
You could buy my 1973 GMC motorhome and live in it. We'll have to arrange a tow to a shop first.
You can probably but a pretty good old motorhome for $30K-$50K.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:14 PM

I know the tiny home movement is the in thing....My kid likes the idea of a "custom home" vs. a production RV - I'm still working on the idea that an RV is designed to be moved vs. the tiny home and the longevity of either....I see both as a depreciating asset that will only cost money and decrease in value over time.

I'm thinking a mobile home is better for saving money while being on the road vs. renting something or buying something in the area.

any other ideas or other input.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:47 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,331,319 times
Quote:
any other ideas or other input.
Time to cut the apron strings?

Old 01-01-2018, 07:10 PM

no strings to cut - already done - just trying to guide the thought process vs wasting $$

Old 01-19-2018, 10:46 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
You could buy my 1973 GMC motorhome and live in it. We'll have to arrange a tow to a shop first.
You can probably but a pretty good old motorhome for $30K-$50K.
I would say that is pretty high end at that price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola