Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,143 times

Advertisements

Hi all! Apologies since I'm sure this has been asked many times before, with varying circumstances. My husband, 3 young children, and I currently live in Naples, FL. We are looking to move next summer during school break. We're open to anything from Clearwater up to Pensacola. Here are a few things we hope to find:

-CPA work for my husband
-good schools
-no more than 30 or so minutes from the beach
-more relaxed lifestyle
-friendlier people than in SWFL
-nice outdoor facilities....parks, trails, splash pads, etc.
-a little cooler in the fall and winter than here

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 11:44 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,140,105 times
Tallahassee

Old 09-04-2018, 11:14 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,331,319 times
Please ignore TD.

I would suggest Gulf Breeze for everything you listed, except I have no idea about the job prospects for your husband. He should look into what is available in Pensacola. I lived in Naples a long time ago and couldn't stand it, mainly because of the people, so I understand what you're saying. One thing you will need to deal with living in the Panhandle vs. Naples is more tropical storms and hurricanes. Just make sure you ask about flooding when you're looking into housing.

Niceville is another option to look into.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:13 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Also, consider looking over into Alabama - Orange Beach, Gulf Shores, Fairhope, Foley. Nice area of the world.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:22 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,517,902 times
Default Destin.......

Destin is a very- nice town/city........

Old 09-04-2018, 03:54 PM

11 posts, read 19,965 times
Fort Walton Beach or Niceville area has everything you're looking for -- great place to call home.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:49 PM

301 posts, read 189,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
Destin is a very- nice town/city........
I wouldn't recommend living in the Destin area. I finally left after 8 years of absolute misery. Honestly, professional/corporate sector jobs are few and far between. They don't pay well when they do come available. The housing is expensive. Perhaps coming from Naples, you'll find the COL vs. average income more tolerable. THERE IS ONE ROAD and it backs up so badly in the high-season (which is essentially mid-March through end of September, with scattered breaks throughout) that you can't get ANYWHERE you want/need to go without sitting in traffic for so long you forget why you left in the first place. Also, most of the beach is controlled by condo and property management firms and very little of it remains open to the public, or so I've heard since leaving in Oct of 2017.

I lived in Santa Rosa Beach, east of Sandestin. It's not a bad place by far and I do think with the right circumstances, it's an incredible place to raise a family, but the above mentioned things are why I ultimately left. I felt like I was only surviving instead of thriving on my salary at an HR/Payroll firm in Destin - and it's known to be one of the better paying gigs in town, often voted into the Best Places to Work lists. Niceville, FWB, Crestview, SRB ... it's really all the same when it comes to cons, though each has it's own set of pros based on preferred amenities. I think certain areas of FWB and Niceville are lovely and I have many friends who have lived there all their lives and wouldn't dream of leaving. Crestview is a little far away from the main hub, but houses are bigger and cheaper compared to FWB/Destin/Niceville/SRB. Crestview is a very popular place with the military families in the area.

If you're set on the panhandle, I absolutely agree with those recommending Pensacola and/or Gulf Breeze. My aunt and uncle live in GB and love it. It's tiny, and the traffic can and does pile up in the summer on and around Pensacola Beach. But, it would easily be my choice area if I ever moved back. Pensacola is a neat little city with history, some cultural/arts activities, and incredible fresh seafood. You'll get way more house for the money in Pensacola in comparison to GB proper, but GB really is a sweet little place.

Another thing that I feel is necessary to mention, though others might not agree, is that the political climate is much different in the northern portion of the state (especially the panhandle west of Tallahassee) compared to further south. The area's nickname, Lower Alabama, is well-earned.

Feel free to PM if you want/need additional info about life in the panhandle. I'd be happy to go into greater detail re: neighborhoods, companies, salary info, etc.

Last edited by lunalvr; 09-06-2018 at 03:58 PM..

Old 09-06-2018, 03:58 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,382,516 times
I will add another recommendation for Niceville. Don't overlook Pace. A little further from the beach but a very nice town with good schools, great shopping and handy to interstate. Plus a very strong economy.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:43 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,683,726 times
Destin/Santa Rosa Beach is great, after you retire. Maybe if you work from home it's doable, but good jobs are very hard to find.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:29 AM

11 posts, read 19,965 times
I agree with Grandpa Tom above about Pace, too. I had a friend recently move there and so have been spending time over there with her -- really nice place, nice people, and cost of living is a little less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola