Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 10:53 PM

942 posts, read 563,275 times

Advertisements

Is it too cold to swim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 12:43 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,336,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
Is it too cold to swim?

Most years, yes.

It's funny because early Nov you can have a day in Pensacola where the high is like 65 degrees BUT here in Southwest Florida the high is 85 degrees.

If you want to swim in late Oct it's best to stay in the Tampa Bay area on south. North of there it will usually be too cold in early Nov. If you want to swim until Dec go to Key West.

Even just walking the beach in Pensacola in Jan will not be a pleasant experience on many days when you got temps in the low 50s and the wind is blowing hard off the water. There is a reason why we have our season in the winter here in Southwest FL while things are slow up there.

I personally would never live in NW FL. If I wanted colder weather like that I'd rather live in my home state of Missouri or in Tennessee.

If you need to vacation in early Nov I would look at the FL Keys. The water temp will still be at least 80 degrees down there.

Heck even late Oct we can get our first powerful front and it's too cold to swim. I remember the Oct after Irma hit we had a strong cold blast the 4th week of Oct.

Old 06-02-2021, 11:30 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,331,319 times
Is it too cold to swim? That is totally subjective. Will there be people in the water? Most definitely. Would I be in the water? Probably not. That being said, the weather in late October/early November is usually perfect, except, of course, if there is a hurricane.

Old 06-02-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
Is it too cold to swim? That is totally subjective. Will there be people in the water? Most definitely. Would I be in the water? Probably not. That being said, the weather in late October/early November is usually perfect, except, of course, if there is a hurricane.

Getting a hurricane after the second week of Oct in NW FL is rare. Michael was very rare. Hurricane kate 1985 was VERY rare.

Again depends on the year, but by late Oct it's too cold to swim in Florida, The Big bend on north. I mean, yes if you wear a wet suit and all.

Hurricane season after Oct 15th in NW FL is over with.

One nice thing about the Pan Handle is you get the change of seasons. Like here in SWFL usually mid April thru late oct the weather is hot. Pan Handle when Oct rolls around the weather is cooling down. By mid Oct depending on the year you're wearing a jacket in the morning.

Old 06-05-2021, 12:16 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Hmm. We were on the beaches of Perdido Key in October and November of 2020. Pretty pleasant as I recall. Water was a bit chilly in November, but it wasn't Jersey Shore cold!

Old 06-13-2021, 11:36 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,634 times
Some years can be cool while others are hot.

Old 06-14-2021, 03:25 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,605 times
It just depends on what you're used to. If you swim in Lake Superior in July, you'll be just fine in the Gulf of Mexico in early November.

When I moved to Central Florida 43 years ago from the Frozen North, I swam in the ocean or gulf in every month of that first year. Then I started turning into a Floridian and now I'm as big a sissy as the best of them.

I say I don't have blood in my veins any more....it's been replaced with orange juice.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:28 PM

41 posts, read 33,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Most years, yes.

I personally would never live in NW FL. If I wanted colder weather like that I'd rather live in my home state of Missouri or in Tennessee.
It is a LOT colder in Missouri and Tennessee in January than it is in NW Florida. You don't want to go swimming in Pensacola then, but you will have no ice or snow either and some days are actually shirt sleeves.

Old 07-16-2021, 12:49 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond Gap View Post
It is a LOT colder in Missouri and Tennessee in January than it is in NW Florida. You don't want to go swimming in Pensacola then, but you will have no ice or snow either and some days are actually shirt sleeves.
Heck, some days are get-a-tan warm.

Old 07-16-2021, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond Gap View Post

Overall the climate of NW FL is quite different and cooler than most of FL. Even Jacksonville is quite a bit warmer usually due to the atlantic ridge during the winter. It can be 75 in Jacksonville while the high is 60 in Pensacola due to the ridge shunting the cold air.

In Jan it can be 55 degrees for the high in Pensacola while the high is 84 here in Southwest Florida. In the spring like in April I've seen that too. Where we are 90 degrees and Pensacola is only 70 degrees because of a front.

Weather wise Southwest Florida might as well be an entire different state than NWFL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola