Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:59 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Oh he can do either but prefers new construction (commercial). He's done it all in the plumbing field. I'm not really liking the idea of Pensacola. To close to AL and MS. I HATE it here with a passion. I've been to Orlando a lot and it is totally different. Tons of different types of people. But this Southern thing is getting on my nerves big time. Sooooo many stinking racist whites here and way too many long haired long skirted church types who think their "stuff" doesn't stink! I'm ready for a big city again.
I guess you choose to ignore all of the racist blacks in MS (and there are MANY)? Racist people come in all colors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 07:08 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Pensacola is still the Deep South. Pretty much all of the Panhandle is outside of Tallahassee and Ft. Walton Beach.

Yeah. You know I actually thought of this the other day. I think I'll just shoot for Orlando. After being here I despise the deep south. I am white and am ashamed of the things that white people still think of black people down here. And Latinos too! What an embarassment.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:11 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I guess you choose to ignore all of the racist blacks in MS (and there are MANY)? Racist people come in all colors.

Oh don't get me wrong....I lived in Norfolk Virginia for 18 years and there are a lot of racist blacks...BUT it is off the hook here with the white people. Up in Norfolk no one thinks twice of seeing a black guy with a white girl...or vice versa....but down here they are dead against it and go on and on how it is against "god" to inter-marry.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Hi. We are trying to decide where in Florida to move to. It is between Pensacola or Orlando. My husband is a plumber so we were wondering how constructin is in the Pensacola area. I'm thinking Orlando would be a better choice. More plumbers listed in the Yellow pages there! Any opinions?

Pensacola/Milton has close to 13% unemployment & construction is at a standstill. Lots of established contractors are hurting some have even temporarily relocated to different regions just to make ends. Have a job lined up & don't buy anything just rent so if that job goes belly up your not tied down.

Florida has not faired well with the downturn of the economy maybe you should look to another part of the region which has more progress.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:22 PM

10 posts, read 22,248 times
Well even though Pensacola is too "deep south," it may be your best bet for a job. With 3 big military bases here, you have a guaranteed homeowner base, and an influx of new people in and out constantly. As for being more in the phone book, the population of each area can pretty much answer that for you too. More people to be plumbers generally leads to more plumbers and more things to plumb. Orlando obviously has a larger commercial base though. Not a whole lot of industry here in "icky racist redneck southeast Alabama." If you do come to Pensacola, you might want to check that perception though. Most people here are Military, or previously associated, and therefore not locals by definition. I'm not sure if we would get on your nerves too, but we generally don't have time to do that with. We are busy typing on city-data and the like. If it makes you feel better about a "real city," I'm from Chicago until I was 22, and you couldn't pay me enough to go back to a large city like that after living here. If it is gentrification you are looking for though, since I can generalize easily too, Pensacola has some of that. They put organic markets next to them to make people feel better about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola