Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 11:12 PM

597 posts, read 1,146,747 times

Advertisements

I am new to the Tuscon forum, but have used city-data for my home city. Does anyone remember Earl Jay Watson ( I'm using his name as my user-name to get people to read this post) he died in Tuscon in 2001. I'm asking about him because of his legacy not in Tuscon, but in my hometown of Dallas TX where he worked as a program director in the 1960s at our local news station WFAA TV ( an affiliate of ABC). He made his mark at WFAA with his reporting on the assassination of President Kennedy in 1963. He was an eyewitness to the assassination, and after he realized what had happened, he ran from Dealey Plaza to the television studio to report the event to the city. I have contacted the station as well as made inquires to people in Dallas who might have information, but so far have come up with nothing except that he died in Tuscon in 2001. Apparently his wife Jean is still alive and currently lives in Tuscon. If anyone knew him or has any information on his career in broadcasting please post here. I myself am still left with many questions. What did he do after he left WFAA? What other stations did he work for?

Thanks again for all your help!

JH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 12:23 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,348,750 times
His obit:
Quote:
Earl Jay Watson, 75, died Thursday, April 19, 2001.

Mr. Watson began his broadcasting career while attending high school in Amarillo. He broadcast the first network report of the assassination of John F. Kennedy.
Survivors include his wife of 47 years, Jean Oliver Watson; two daughters, Summer Westman and Cyd Watson; a son, Jay Watson III; a sister, Yvonne Smith; and three grandchildren. Amarillo Globe-News, May 12, 2001
Are you interested in writing to his family?

If you google "Jay Watson Kennedy assassination" instead of "Earl Jay Watson" you'll get much more material, as he went by "Jay" professionally. Heads up, though - one of the links was color autopsy photos of the President. More than I ever wanted to see. Googling "Jay Watson WFFA" brings up more material about his career.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:42 AM

597 posts, read 1,146,747 times
Default Thanks

hcgCali,

Thank you for your reply, are you a friend/member of the family? I would love to write or speak to someone who has some insight on his career. There is very little information on him in Dallas at all. We don't even know how long he worked at our local TV station WFAA. Or what he did afterwords. Other people have voiced the same feelings and as one person said;

I just found it a little interesting that there’s so little information on him--compared to the other news reporters on 11-22-63--considering his being so on top of things. I did find and “Earl Watson” who died in Arizona in 2001, and was wondering if that might be the same person, as he would have been about the right age.

With the 50th anniversary of the JFK "event" coming up "little" details like this will prove important.

Thanks again,
JH

Old 07-31-2010, 05:50 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,348,750 times
No, I'm not a friend/family member. I just do searches for people.

You are correct, he died in AZ in 2001. As far as I can tell, he never had a career as a reporter or anchor. He was a program director who was put on the air with the news of the shooting because he was there to witness it. Taking time to brief an anchor might have cost the station the chance to be first with the news. Maybe you can get copies of some of the documentaries that include him. Jay Watson (I)

Old 09-29-2010, 07:52 AM

2 posts, read 57,638 times
JH: I found this post in a round about way. Who are you and why are you looking for information about my father?

Old 09-29-2010, 06:05 PM

1,724 posts, read 2,492,352 times
JaneSW If you click on his name you can send him a direct message.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 57,638 times
Default Thanks

Good idea. I have done so.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:04 PM

2 posts, read 29,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Watson View Post
hcgCali,

Thank you for your reply, are you a friend/member of the family? I would love to write or speak to someone who has some insight on his career. There is very little information on him in Dallas at all. We don't even know how long he worked at our local TV station WFAA. Or what he did afterwords. Other people have voiced the same feelings and as one person said;

I just found it a little interesting that there’s so little information on him--compared to the other news reporters on 11-22-63--considering his being so on top of things. I did find and “Earl Watson” who died in Arizona in 2001, and was wondering if that might be the same person, as he would have been about the right age.

With the 50th anniversary of the JFK "event" coming up "little" details like this will prove important.

Thanks again,
JH
Did you find the information you were looking for re Jay Watson? My husband worked with him for years. The information is actually pretty easy to find online.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 27,007 times
Hi JH! The Jay Watson of WFAA was general manager of KOLD TV in tucson at one time...in the late 70's or early 80's I think. DS

Old 09-11-2012, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 26,357 times
I would just like to say, what a great job your father did covering the assassination of President Kennedy. In fact I am watching the coverage right now. What calm, respect, sensitivity and professionalism your Dad showed that awful 4 days. God Bless him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search