Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,612 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am trying to establish where my grandmother came from to England.
I note that an Ida Minnie Charlton was born to William Charlton and Rebecca in 1879 in Foster, Luzerne, Pennsylvania. Does anyone know if she came to England. (William was a coal- miner and emigrated to Pennsylvania c1877)
Any assistance appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 10:35 AM

356 posts, read 834,295 times
I'd try the messageboards at ancestry.com; you're more likely to find someone who knows the answer to your question there.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:23 PM

4 posts, read 26,563 times
I'm a Charlton but don't know much about my dad's family other than that they settled in Ohio.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,177 times
Hello. I have been researching this Charlton family and I believe I have discovered their place of origin in England. Apparently Thomas F. Charlton was born about 1827 in the town of Houghton le Spring in what was then Durham County, England (now a part of Tyne and Wear). He was enumerated in the 1851 Census of England close to Pittington, northeast of the City of Durham, living in Elemore Vale. Thomas indicated that his wife, Margaret, had been born in the town of Long Marton in Westmorland County, England, and that their son, William, had been born in the town of Hallgarth in Durham County, England. According to the 1900 U.S. Census of Luzerne County, Thomas and his wife Margaret and their son William mirgrated in 1852 to America. They were first enumerated in Schuylkill County, PA (Margaret was erroneously listed as "Marry" in the transcription of the 1860 Census), and also lived in Schuylkill County in the 1870 Census. The family moved between 1870 and 1880 to neighboring Luzerne County. Thomas F. Charlton was buried in Hazleton, Luzerne County, PA in 1904, while Margaret was buried there in 1914. I hope this has helped you!

Sincerely,
Zane D. Perry, Virginia Beach, VA

P.S. This research was done for John Justin Dormi of Virginia Beach, who is the son-in-law of Lawrence William Charlton of Newark, New Jersey. Lawrence William Charlton is the son of Lawrence Clare Charlton, son of Thomas Charlton, son of Thomas F. Charlton, son of Thomas F. Charlton of Durham County, England and Luzerne County, Pennsylvania.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:41 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,809 times
This thread is old, but for anyone searching for migration TO the UK - try some of the resources at Moving Here

Old 03-26-2013, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,612 times
Have now discovered that Ida's father was James Parker and that she was 'adopted' (stated on her marriage cert) probably between 1870 and 1880 by George Charlton (who was born in England and had married a Jane Kirk and emigrated to US.) This was in New York State. They all returned to England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search